Smoke 'n' Mirrors

(iv) Inadvertent tripping by a player with equal position shall not be ruled as interference.
(v) Tripping an opponent from behind shall be considered accidental pass interference.

Read (v)... That's exactly what happened and why a flag was thrown. I would argue Adams was in a better position to play the ball, therefore rendering (iv) irrelevant to the situation.

The official, based on the rules quoted above, made the correct call.

Quite frankly, it's the first time I've read the accidental part of the rule. It doesn't get called very often. (Google search on the term and CFL brings up a couple of hits from 2011) The receiver initiated the contact (inadvertently) and the DB got called for the penalty, which is consistent with the way the CFL has been calling PI for the last few years. 

Personally, I'd call it inadvertent tripping with equal position as the receiver tripped while trying to pull away. The DB didn't do anything wrong and couldn't have done anything to prevent the trip.

9 hours ago, Mike said:

hehe

curious... there were a few posters seemingly trying to set records for posts in a week after the LDC... but are nowhere to be found after the Banjo Bowl... well, I guess this is a mystery that will never be solved... :lol:

5 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Personally, I'd call it inadvertent tripping with equal position as the receiver tripped while trying to pull away. The DB didn't do anything wrong and couldn't have done anything to prevent the trip.

I don't disagree with this point... but I think the reason the call exists is b/c a DB could do it intentionally while passing it off as accidental...

12 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

Quite frankly, it's the first time I've read the accidental part of the rule. It doesn't get called very often. (Google search on the term and CFL brings up a couple of hits from 2011) The receiver initiated the contact (inadvertently) and the DB got called for the penalty, which is consistent with the way the CFL has been calling PI for the last few years. 

how, pray tell, is it the rec fault when a DB runs up and clips his leg from behind?  I'd love to hear how a receiver running flat out then slowing to catch the ball has initiated contact with the back of his calf and the defenders foot.   seems to me that the defender initiated contact by running up behind the receiver and clipping him from behind, no?    clear cut case of accidental PI as I doubt tripping him was his attempt to defend the pass..

1 minute ago, bearpants said:

curious... there were a few posters seemingly trying to set records for posts in a week after the LDC... but are nowhere to be found after the Banjo Bowl... well, I guess this is a mystery that will never be solved... :lol:

I don't disagree with this point... but I think the reason the call exists is b/c a DB could do it intentionally while passing it off as accidental...

Just now, SPuDS said:

how, pray tell, is it the rec fault when a DB runs up and clips his leg from behind?  I'd love to hear how a receiver running flat out then slowing to catch the ball has initiated contact with the back of his calf and the defenders foot.   seems to me that the defender initiated contact by running up behind the receiver and clipping him from behind, no?    clear cut case of accidental PI as I doubt tripping him was his attempt to defend the pass..

Agreed. How can a ref 10 yards away assess in 3/10ths of a second whether the contact/trip was incidental or not? The Zebras got it right.