Former Blue Bomber players

I was re watching parts of the Bomber game against Montreal on YouTube yesterday and I started looking at some highlights of some old games. There was a ton from 2009-2013 Obviously we want to forget about an era where there wasn't much winning but i just wanted to have a thread to reflect on some former players you remember fondly or thought deserved some recognition.. here's a couple that stood out anyways..

Fred Reid: Man was he ever good on some not so good football teams. I watched the video against BC where he set the Bomber rushing record and just tore up that Lions defense.. I believe he even led the league in rushing one year, maybe even two. He was so quick and shifty, if he had a longer playing career he would have been remembered as fondly as Blink 

Terrence Edwards: yes everyone remembers him, but like Milt he put up some great numbers with some really bad quarterback play. He wasn't overly fast but I can't recall a reciever that was so slow but could always get open so easily and turn it into a 60 yard touchdown catch. 

Jovon johnson: again everyone remembers JJ but I want to give him some recognition another way.. He was a GREAT return man there was one video of him running all the way to the opposite side of the field, just to run all the way back to the other and then he found his gap and took it to the house. He was always a threat to score or at the very least give us good field position.

Steven Jyles: I watched the video against BC where Alex Brink got the start and he couldn't do a single thing on offense ( good one Lapo) and I believe Jyles engineered a 21 point fourth quarter come back and we won in double over time with Beasley returning it for a pick six. Jyles had a great arm, and was so mobile and athletic.. I'm surprised he never put it all together. 

Fred Reid was good, but he was never Charles Roberts good. Reid when he got a hole was great but wasn't as good making something from nothing. Guys like Roberts rarely went down on first contact. It is one of the things that makes Harris so good right now.

Just now, 17to85 said:

Fred Reid was good, but he was never Charles Roberts good. Reid when he got a hole was great but wasn't as good making something from nothing. Guys like Roberts rarely went down on first contact. It is one of the things that makes Harris so good right now.

No but not many were ever as good as Charles Roberts. I think Fred Reid gets under appreciated around here because he was the first running back back we had after Roberts left. Harris is great, I appreciate the tough yards, the threat out of the back field and the blocking but Reid was so explosive. He was so quick off tackle and once he made hat first cut he could get into the secondary with ease. 

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Having to follow up the blink show was impossible for any one. And with how quick and sour it ended, the guy never had a chance. If we had reid as our starter now hed be much more beloved. 

Bang on about first contact. Cant count how many times blink, and harris get hit in the back field and still get positive yards. Thats gigantic. Poor blink really got stuck running behind some awful OLs. If he had an OL like we have now, as young as they are he might have played another fist full of years and made some serious noise in the all time cfl rushing list. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

Poor blink really got stuck running behind some awful OLs. If he had an OL like we have now, as young as they are he might have played another fist full of years and made some serious noise in the all time cfl rushing list. 

Blink was running behind some good OLs during the Berry era. Goodspeed, Sheridan, Picard, Greene, Gauthier, St. Germaine, Labatte, et. al. 

1 minute ago, Mark H. said:

Blink was running behind some good OLs during the Berry era. Goodspeed, Sheridan, Picard, Greene, Gauthier, St. Germaine, Labatte, et. al. 

Some lines with decent players here or there, but even a few of those i think are over rated and over all i didnt consider the units to be above average. An elusive back and a qb with a quick release makes it look better then it was imo. 

Edited by wbbfan

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Some lines with decent players here or there, but even a few of those i think are over rated and over all i didnt consider the units to be above average. An elusive back and a qb with a quick release makes it look better then it was imo. 

Yet we all remember the result and the years of OL rebuilding when 3 of them were not re-signed in the '09 free agency period.  

3 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Yet we all remember the result and the years of OL rebuilding when 3 of them were not re-signed in the '09 free agency period.  

Dropping from average to worst in the league will do that. Doesnt matter how bad some one is, if you dont have a replacement it can allways get worse. Even the worst cfl starters are a lot better then most fringe pros. 

1 hour ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Getting St.Germaine and Khan in the desposal draft was the main reason we went from terrible to respectable in 2006. 

we got more active players from the dispersal draft then any team and by a large margin. 

12 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

He's someone who would be great to have on the current roster.

guy was such a stud. Poop and jeffcoat kinda feel the same this year. 

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

He's someone who would be great to have on the current roster.

I always find it weird how in the CFL you want players that are as good as possible, whilst still getting cut by the NFL. You want to see players that got their big break up here succeed, but it'd be something if Matthews got cut and came back to us. The boost of Adams and Matthews together would be awesome. Sadly, I don't think Matthews will be looking north anytime soon.

As I complained about Reid way back in the day on ourbombers....  that guy would rip off one big run a game and a whole lot of 2 - 3 yard runs where he was dragged down instantly.    Chris Garrett was much better then him.

Charles Roberts would find holes out of nothing.... simply amazing. 

On 7/29/2017 at 10:50 AM, Arnold_Palmer said:

I was re watching parts of the Bomber game against Montreal on YouTube yesterday and I started looking at some highlights of some old games. There was a ton from 2009-2013 Obviously we want to forget about an era where there wasn't much winning but i just wanted to have a thread to reflect on some former players you remember fondly or thought deserved some recognition.. here's a couple that stood out anyways..

Fred Reid: Man was he ever good on some not so good football teams. I watched the video against BC where he set the Bomber rushing record and just tore up that Lions defense.. I believe he even led the league in rushing one year, maybe even two. He was so quick and shifty, if he had a longer playing career he would have been remembered as fondly as Blink 

Terrence Edwards: yes everyone remembers him, but like Milt he put up some great numbers with some really bad quarterback play. He wasn't overly fast but I can't recall a reciever that was so slow but could always get open so easily and turn it into a 60 yard touchdown catch. 

Jovon johnson: again everyone remembers JJ but I want to give him some recognition another way.. He was a GREAT return man there was one video of him running all the way to the opposite side of the field, just to run all the way back to the other and then he found his gap and took it to the house. He was always a threat to score or at the very least give us good field position.

Steven Jyles: I watched the video against BC where Alex Brink got the start and he couldn't do a single thing on offense ( good one Lapo) and I believe Jyles engineered a 21 point fourth quarter come back and we won in double over time with Beasley returning it for a pick six. Jyles had a great arm, and was so mobile and athletic.. I'm surprised he never put it all together. 

Re: Jyles - It always seemed to me that he was a very risk-averse QB who would take a check down on 2nd and long as opposed to risking a pick on a tougher throw. His stats always looked great after the game but you still were left wondering how he piled up all those completions with the amount of 2 and outs we had. I also recall him having a strong, but inaccurate arm on deep throws. Any streak down the sideline and that ball was into row 5.

8 hours ago, brett_c_b said:

I just assumed this would be a "wtf Kyries Hebert still plays football?" thread. At least that's my reaction every time I see him. Seems so long ago he was a bomber

I agree. The lone player left from the Ottawa Renegade that folded 12 years ago. Seems like forever ago!

Edited by Arnold_Palmer