Jets Report Card - Button

Floyd

Can't argue with too many of his grades for the players but I would say Little deserves better than a B, as one of our best forwards... Chiarot and Armia should probably get a D rather than a C.

He makes a great point about goaltending, penalties, and PK% being the main issues.  Something has to be done about that.

19 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Can't argue with too many of his grades for the players but I would say Little deserves better than a B, as one of our best forwards... Chiarot and Armia should probably get a D rather than a C.

He makes a great point about goaltending, penalties, and PK% being the main issues.  Something has to be done about that.

Claude Noel agrees.

Noel%20shrugs.jpg

Without looking it up tell me someone he drafted?

Tell me someone that actually contributed to the team as a 1st or 2nd round pick....I'd look it up but I know what a terrible team he ran that didn't make the playoffs under his watch and he set the team back with his drafting.

You and the other sheep can bow down at the great Craig Button altar, I won't. One of the worst GMs that come to mind actually...but I know, he is the national media so he is right next to God.

I wonder what you would think of him if he came out and said Helle wasn't up to par this year?

Edited by Ducky

Well the Flames did make it to the SC finals the year after he left, with lots of players he acquired or drafted.  He basically built most of that team.

Picks such as Matthew Lombardi, Eric Nystrom, Chuck Kobasew, and David Moss.  He drafted Jarrett Stoll as well but not sure he was ever a player for Calgary?

Either way not a stellar record but hardly a disaster.  I'm not a huge fan of his.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Well the Flames did make it to the SC finals the year after he left, with lots of players he acquired or drafted.  He basically built most of that team.

Picks such as Matthew Lombardi, Eric Nystrom, Chuck Kobasew, and David Moss.  He drafted Jarrett Stoll as well but not sure he was ever a player for Calgary?

Either way not a stellar record but hardly a disaster.  I'm not a huge fan of his.

You forgot his Dallas Stars years. 

From Wiki... Button began his NHL management career in 1988 with the Minnesota North Stars. He was the Director of Scouting for Dallas Stars 1992–98, Director of Player Personnel for Dallas Stars 1998–2000. During this time, Button worked for hockey legends, Bob Clarke and Bob Gainey. While with the Stars, the teams participated in two Stanley Cup Finals and were recipients of the Presidents Trophy on two occasions. The list of players drafted during his tenure include Derian HatcherJere LehtinenJamie LangenbrunnerMarty TurcoJarome Iginla and Brenden Morrow.

12 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Take a look at the draft picks and how many played for the Flames for any time.....

The Flames was the only  place he GMed so what happened with the Stars doesn't really matter to me.

Where's the list of all your draft picks you made as an nhl gm? You don't have to like him or agree with him but when you start to question his drafting when you are just some random fan... man it makes you look like a fool. Like you honestly think you know more than Button? Dude has forgotten more about hockey than all of us on here know about hockey. The guy is an analyst with actual legit experience.  He generally speaks the truth cuz he isn't afraid of big bad TNSE 

Edited by Goalie

I'm a fool? You have been whining and crying about firing Maurice now for over a year and who are you? Have you coached in the NHL? Do you know more about coaching than he does? Goaltending is poor, fire the goaltending coach. D play poor, fire Huddy. Team is struggling, fire the coach. Have you ever even thought that some of this might be on the players (including the goalies)?

Go look at his draft picks and tell me how many played in the NHL and for Calgary. If he is so smart, why isn't he in the league?

They are the only ones that will hire him for a scout, what does that tell you?

Aren't the Panthers huge Corsi guys? How's that working out for them? If we have Corsi why do we have GMs? Just look at Corsi and there you go! God, why didn't they have this before?

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

They are the only ones that will hire him for a scout, what does that tell you?

Aren't the Panthers huge Corsi guys? How's that working out for them? If we have Corsi why do we have GMs? Just look at Corsi and there you go! God, why didn't they have this before?

Every team (to my knowledge) has an analytics department now to some degree.  It's a tool to be used like any other.  Looking ONLY at Corsi, etc is a mistake and writing it off completely is also a mistake.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

I have said a couple of times that it is a tool to be used but Floyd and The Unknown poster and a few others seem to think that I think it has no value. But then again the unknown poster wanted burmistrov on the roster.

I think what it comes down to, is that if you are disagreeing with what the numbers say, you've gotta have a pretty good argument as to why.  Those arguments exist in certain cases and are perfectly valid but sitting around saying "Well that just shows we shouldn't trust statistic XYZ" doesn't really advance the conversation at all.

10 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I have said a couple of times that it is a tool to be used but Floyd and The Unknown poster and a few others seem to think that I think it has no value. But then again the unknown poster wanted burmistrov on the roster.

Wtf are you talking about.

You started this whole thing by insinuating that other people (me) think 'only' fancy stats matter.  Along with our 'buddy' Craig Button...

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Wtf are you talking about.

You started this whole thing by insinuating that other people (me) think 'only' fancy stats matter.  Along with our 'buddy' Craig Button...

Probably because you insinuated that only the fancy stats matter and that they mean everything.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I am sure that if I looked I could find some very good players with poor fancy stats but I don't care to look.

1.  I'm 100% sure you could.

2.  How do you expect to be taken seriously when you say things like this?  "I'm ignorant and will continue to be, but your argument is incorrect based on something I have imagined to be true."

4 hours ago, Ducky said:

What have I imagined to be true?

You assume that you can find good players with bad stats but are unwilling to look.  It's easy to prove anything incorrect when you only have to do it in your mind, free from the bounds of logic, facts and reason.