VEGAS

Goalie

That's the first thing that jumped out at me too. Very weird. I mean, sure most people refer to it as "Vegas" but it's odd to not use your actual city name. 

The whole name is stupid. But I appreciate their effort to explain it in some way. They have a nice story about "Knights" with no mention of the fact knights have nothing to do with the city or state. 

The real reason is they weren't allowed to use Black Knights. Why not go Knights by itself?  Weird. 

But I love Las Vegas so I'm embracing them. Go Vegas!

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Apparently the London Knights wouldn't allow them. Yeah. A OHL team. Yup. 

Philly Flyers 

Jersey Devils 

The Peg Jets 

I heard the issue with the London Knight was when they were considering Black Knights so whatever issue they had, they got over.  If I recall, they had issues with Army.  If London really wouldnt allow "Knights" and that was a legitimate legal hold up, choose something else.  

The problem with Knights is, it has nothing to do with Las Vegas.  You're in a marker where you're asking fans to embrace a pretty foreign concept and you choose a brand that speaks nothing to the city or area.  It sounds like the NHL banned anything related to gambling so High Rollers, Snake Eyes, Aces were all out.

Saying that, I like their logo.  Its simple yet effective.

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

I'm not. Why come to Canada now when the dollar is low.

I know Quebecor has deeeeeeep pockets, but paying a $500M USD franchise fee is very steep.

Yup your probably right from a financial point of view.

I just think having the Quebec rivalry back in the league would be a great thing for NHL fans experience. 

I can hardly wait for Golden Knights versus the Blue Jackets rivalry.  

Just now, HardCoreBlue said:

Yup your probably right from a financial point of view.

I just think having the Quebec rivalry back in the league would be a great thing for NHL fans experience. 

I can hardly wait for Golden Knights versus the Blue Jackets rivalry.  

No doubt.

I still think Seattle gets a team before Quebec does.

Quebec doesnt grow the league in the way the league wants.  Its more like back filling.  It will be the relocation option.  Look for the Hurricanes to potentially land there.  NHL learned through the Coyotes & Thrashers fiasco that they need a soft landing spot to maintain their leverage.

Vegas makes sense for a few reasons and I think they will be somewhat successful.  Even if they have empty seats, they should never be a money loser.

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Quebec is getting a relocation...not an expansion team. They're the league's fallback when one team (Carolina?) has to fold up shop and move, and they need a quick and ready landing spot.  

Kinda like someplace else we heard before.......

Exactly this. 

Seattle will get the expansion team. Quebec is either Arizona or Carolina 

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I think they will too.

I can't wait for the schedule to see when the Jets play down there...

I assume vegas would fit on the schedule when the Jets do their California road trip.  Which, if I recall, is usually winter right?  Might attract a lot of Peg fans.  Im more likely to visit Vegas in summer.  But Ill go down for Jets games, hopefully in September or March/April rather then Dec/Jan.

9 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I assume vegas would fit on the schedule when the Jets do their California road trip.  Which, if I recall, is usually winter right?  Might attract a lot of Peg fans.  Im more likely to visit Vegas in summer.  But Ill go down for Jets games, hopefully in September or March/April rather then Dec/Jan.

I was thinking a 3 game stretch to Arizona-Colorado-Nevada. That leaves the California tour separate.

15 minutes ago, bearpants said:

Have they said which division Vegas will be in?... logic would suggest Pacific but I guess they could make a case for central... mainly if the NHL wanted to add Seattle, that would keep it even without moving a team in the future... or they move Arizona over?

I think it's the Pacific.

Nevada is in the same time zone as California. Those, along with Arizona will be their closest rivals.

And, you would have a lot of games starting at 5pm local time, whenever they're playing Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St Louis, Nashville and Dallas. 6pm for Colorado. I think that's too many 'early' starts.

Edited by JCon