US Politics

Rich

4 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Respectfully disagree.  When you have politicians with documented histories of grift and tax evasion who ignore established (40+ years) norms to avoid scrutiny, any measure to formalize the norms is a good one.  

You do realize that if these are the actual parameters, that Hillary would have been banned from running in California, right?  Where did this "tax evasion" thing come from?  I saw AOC talking about that too.  Where is any proof that Trump has evaded taxes?  If he has, wouldn't he be in jail right now, long before he ever ran for president?

5 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Respectfully disagree.  When you have politicians with documented histories of grift and tax evasion who ignore established (40+ years) norms to avoid scrutiny, any measure to formalize the norms is a good one.  California is not the only state to consider this.  As the Senate is too partisan to do this federally, the responsibility rests with the states.  I'd like to see state legislation in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida (the swing states) to see real impact as Trump (or the Republican nominees that follow him) aren't going to get any electoral votes in California anyway.

I think it would back fire politically but the States have the right to do what they want.  So more power to them.  Its not like this is a political thing in the sense they dont like him.  He's a criminal who, were it  not for his position as President, would have been indicted.  So, I can see it.  I wouldnt do it, but I can see it.

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

You do realize that if these are the actual parameters, that Hillary would have been banned from running in California, right?  Where did this "tax evasion" thing come from?  I saw AOC talking about that too.  Where is any proof that Trump has evaded taxes?  If he has, wouldn't he be in jail right now, long before he ever ran for president?

Not sure why I even bother: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

tax fraud, for sure.  Pretty clear.  maybe he should release his tax returns to prove he's on the up and up.  haha

1 minute ago, JCon said:

Its like they willfully bury their heads when its negative stuff about their guy.  Also, quickly cued up the whatabout Hilary response.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I don't know why either.  This is a hit piece by the NY times.  I repeat, why isn't Trump in jail?  This seems to be a spurious accusation.  Why don't the Democrats just focus on beating him in 2020?

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

tax fraud, for sure.  Pretty clear.  maybe he should release his tax returns to prove he's on the up and up.  haha

that's my point though, they would have been released, to the IRS.  The IRS has them.  What good is someone like Maxine Waters looking at them going to do?

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

I don't know why either.  This is a hit piece by the NY times.  I repeat, why isn't Trump in jail?  This seems to be a spurious accusation.  Why don't the Democrats just focus on beating him in 2020?

Hes under multiple investigations.  He has , what, 20+ credible allegations of sexual assault/harrassment.  A federal prosecutor just concluded an investigation detailing collusion and obstruction.   

I mean...its one thing to willfully embrace him but to outright ignore reality?  Come on....

Its like they willfully bury their heads when its negative stuff about their guy.  Also, quickly cued up the whatabout Hilary response.

It seems that the only thing that is "cued up" is this "whatabout" response when blatant hypocrisy is exposed.  What about hypocrisy?  And Trump isn't "my guy", just as AOC and Bernie and Joe Biden aren't "my guys" either.  We are Canadians, talking about the politics of a foreign country.  We can't vote.  All we can do is look at our country and try not to be like other countries whose leaders are not acting with integrity.  And unfortunately, we are in no position to judge others right now.  At all.

I mean...its one thing to willfully embrace him but to outright ignore reality?  Come on....

why do you keep posting this nonsense?  Why bring this foolish cancer to the board?  I don't get the strategy here.  It just seems so silly.  

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think it would back fire politically but the States have the right to do what they want.  So more power to them.  Its not like this is a political thing in the sense they dont like him.  He's a criminal who, were it  not for his position as President, would have been indicted.  So, I can see it.  I wouldnt do it, but I can see it.

Not sure it backfires politically because it applies to any presidential candidate from either party going forward.  If anything good can be said for Trump, he has exposed that guidelines, protocols and norms are not enough to ensure that a president will act in the nation's best interest.  Actual legislation is required.

14 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

why do you keep posting this nonsense?  Why bring this foolish cancer to the board?  I don't get the strategy here.  It just seems so silly.  

Oh sure.  My post is "cancer".  Not the few people twisting themselves into knots to defend a guy like Trump and embrace a clear racist.  Every time he gets caught doing something else awful, the trigger response is "what about Obama/Hilary".  Every.  Single.  Time.

It would be hilarious if it werent so sad to see the love-in for a racist moron.  Well, its still pretty hilarious actually.

14 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Not sure it backfires politically because it applies to any presidential candidate from either party going forward.  If anything good can be said for Trump, he has exposed that guidelines, protocols and norms are not enough to ensure that a president will act in the nation's best interest.  Actual legislation is required.

Thats what makes this showdown with Congress so important.  I was thinking the GOP will eventually regret setting political precedent for the power of the presidency but when a Dem is in the White House, the GOP will just flip flop again anyway.

46 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I think it is your lack of criticism of trump and your defence of trump by bringing up HRC. A LOT. You may not intend on defending trump- but it certainly looks like you do. 

If you are in defense of trump,  that's cool- just not my cup of tea. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Oh wow... actually not surprised:

https://www.kvia.com/news/el-paso/trump-campaign-owes-city-of-el-paso-more-than-470-000-for-february-rally/1073664103

"EL PASO, Texas - The City of El Paso is still waiting on a nearly half-million-dollar-payment from President Trump's campaign for his February 11 MAGA rally at the El Paso County Coliseum."

If only we had any clues, before he became president, that this was bound to happen... oh wait...:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/09/donald-trump-unpaid-bills-republican-president-laswuits/85297274/

17 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

23 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Oh sure.  My post is "cancer". 

Your posts are constantly harassing, challenging and inflammatory.  Anyone who isn't 100% in agreement with you, is instantly labeled as something they are not.   It's bullying 101.  It's really disgusting, and I honestly hope is not tolerated much longer.  

44 minutes ago, JCon said:

This overwhelming evidence is a "hit piece". 

Focus on beating him in 2020. 

Ignore the laws and ignore common decency and ignore the fact that he's a white supremacist. 

Blah, blah, blah. 

If there were "overwhelming evidence" then Trump would be in jail.  Obama and the Democrats used the IRS like a weapon to go after their enemies, to a degree that would have made serial IRS abusers like JFK and Nixon blush.  Did they go after Trump and find nothing?  Or did they just underestimate him so much that they didn't bother?   In Canada, if you cheat on your taxes, you are investigated by the CRA.  The same would apply in the US with the IRS.  Did the IRS investigate him?  If the evidence that the NYT claims is "overwhelming" exists, then why isn't he in jail?  This just doesn't add up, at all.

As for focusing on beating Trump in 2020, those aren't my words.  That's what Adam Schiff and Nanci Pelosi are saying.  Did you not watch the Adam Schiff youtube I posted?  You should.  He's smart.  He knows trying to impeach Trump would be a disaster for the Dems.  They'd lose, and make Trump an even bigger symbol for Americans wanting to fight the system.  It's a losers' game.  It won't work.  Which is why careful attention should be paid to those Dems screaming for impeachment.  These are the real enemies of the Democrats.

5 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Your posts are constantly harassing, challenging and inflammatory.  Anyone who isn't 100% in agreement with you, is instantly labeled as something they are not.   It's bullying 101.  It's really disgusting, and I honestly hope is not tolerated much longer.  

I apologise if I have been harassing You, ideally didn't mean  to.

Just now, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I apologise if I have been harassing You, ideally didn't mean  to.

yes, sorry WBF - that post wasn't meant for you, I just couldn't figure out how to get rid of your quote box.  You've been great.  Thank you.  I do believe that we are able to have decent debates here, as long as all respect each other.  I have been one of the worst in that regard, but I'm trying to get better.

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Truth Czar says: False.  You've had a long history of abusive behavior towards people that dont agree with you.  Please dont project your actions on me.   When you embrace people who stand for certain ideologies, you wear it.  Sorry!  

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Truth Czar says: False.  You've had a long history of abusive behavior towards people that dont agree with you.  Please dont project your actions on me.  Thanks!

how about you stop labeling me as some sort of Trump supporter, and I think we'll get along just fine.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

how about you stop labeling me as some sort of Trump supporter, and I think we'll get along just fine.

How about you stop taking every opportunity to 1) defend Trump  2) attack and belittle people that criticism him.  If you dont want to be seen as a trump supporter, stop supporting him.  Deflection is weak.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How about you stop taking every opportunity to 1) defend Trump  2) attack and belittle people that criticism him.  If you dont want to be seen as a trump supporter, stop supporting him.  Deflection is weak.

I'm not "defending Trump" - I'm just looking for the truth.  I was excited as anyone to hear about the Mueller report, as I wanted to see some actual truth.  The only defense is the truth.  And it sure can get lost in sheer partisanship and hate.  As for belittling and attacking people - I've been trying not to do that.  In fact I am trying to see where I did that, other than to stand up to your constant bullying.