Captain America: Civil War - Spoiler Thread

I enjoyed Spider-Man more than I thought I would.  He really worked.  And while they draw him into the fight in almost a too-quick and irresponsible way (he's just a kid), they make sure to address that briefly but effectively.  He added some nice humor and a different tone.  They did a good job of showing how powerful he is but also how young and inexperienced he is.

Almost a bit of a weird awkward sexual tension thing with Aunt May

Also loved Ant Man.  My buddy claims he doesnt "get" Ant Man.  I like him and Paul Rudd is tremendous.  Sometimes in these Marvel films they try to sprinkle in some humor where it doesnt feel right but characters like Spider-Man and Ant Man bring the funny in a more organic way.

The airport fight was really great and a smart way to let the super heroes battle without worrying about civilians. 

I'd like to see a solo Black Widow film.  Maybe it's hard because she fits as more of a side-kick character to Captain America.  But she is sort of the emotional connective tissue of the movie because she has relationships with so many characters.

Black Panther was very good too.  Almost a back-to-basics Captain America type character.  Definitely want to see more.

The film definitely had a lot to pack in and that can slow it down a bit.  It seemed to take a while to get going. 

I didnt really feel the Vision/Scarlet Witch romance.  Isnt he an android?  And he bordered on abusive relationship at times (I think thats what they were going for) with the "Im doing this for you're own protection" and "Are you not letting me leave?" 

The bad guy was more a back drop to the Civil War stuff and I thought the motivations and plan of the bad guy was somewhat weak.  He was really relying on the good guys being predictable, emotional, egotistical and irrational.  And the aborted Super Soldiers plot seemed more interesting.

Kevin Feige confirmed they are going to make a Black Widow film.  I almost wished they'd do it on Netflix because then they could almost do that R rating type considering she's really an assassin.

I agree with your points on all parts, although I thought the villain was a lot more strategic and brilliant (which is how Baron Zemo works).  I have a feeling this isn't the last we see of Baron Zemo.  I think this was his origin story which is why they did it this way.   I think he will come back in phase 4 with his actual costume and bring a team of villain's together, possibly including MODOC.  But truthfully, this is what a versus film should be.  I need to watch it again to really place it in my list of which I like better, but it's definitely up there as one of the tops.

Fantastic movie, my favorite superhero movie yet.  They managed to cram a Wire-sized cast into a single movie, and everyone got featured somehow while not distracting from the core of the story with Cap, Bucky, and Tony.

Cap macking on his girlfriend's niece was ... weird.

34 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Fantastic movie, my favorite superhero movie yet.  They managed to cram a Wire-sized cast into a single movie, and everyone got featured somehow while not distracting from the core of the story with Cap, Bucky, and Tony.

Cap macking on his girlfriend's niece was ... weird.

That kept occurring to me too.  They dance around the issue of Captain and Peggy Carter...like, okay, he unthaws and she's 80 years old.  So...is he still in love with her?  Does he not date her because she's so old?  Does the younger Carter remind him of her? 

Saw it yesterday.  Loved it from start to finish.  Was trying to think of any flaws that bugged me but so far I got nothing (I'm sure someone will come along and point out something that didn't occur to me lol).  Liked how they did Cap's and Stark's POVs without much judgement either way.  They both had good points and their stances fit perfectly with the characters they are (Cap's distrust of authority after the last movie along with Stark's guilt and continuing PTSD).  Thought they nailed Spiderman to a tee, just perfect.  And damn, Marisa Tomei's still got it! :D  Loved seeing Giant-Man make his debut.  Black Panther was fantastic, look forward to his movie.  There were many other nice parts I enjoyed but I'll stop for now.

I guess one minor complaint I have is that Crossbones was basically thrown away within the first ten minutes.  Thought they could have used him more.  Oh well a minor complaint. 

12 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Cap and BW are supposed to have a kid together, so it could just be the stop gap while black widow plays the floozy bouncin around between Banner and him. Still not a fan they went that route in Age of Ultron

That's in a different universe.  Earth 616 (the regular Marvel Universe) they don't hook up like that.

11 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

I guess one minor complaint I have is that Crossbones was basically thrown away within the first ten minutes.  Thought they could have used him more.  Oh well a minor complaint. 

Agreed.  Baron Von Strucker was a throwaway too.  That annoyed me since he's supposed to be smarter then that and they basically treated him like an idiot.  I really hated Strucker's death in Ultron.  There's also a few villains that they killed off in the movies.  Yellowjacket, Ronin, Whiplash, etc...  Red Skull is the only one I think could be back because I don't think he was killed, but pulled into another dimension or other part of the universe.

The other thing that annoyed me about the movie was the friggen shaky cam in the first hour of the movie.  It was so distracting.  Then after that it cleaned up and everything was smooth.  But that first part...uggh...I want to see the action not get nauseated from it.

But other then those couple of things it was great.

Enjoyed the move for the most part. Wouldn't call it my fav, but way, way better than BVS. Couple things didn't work for me though.

Did not like what they did to Aunt May. Just seemed creepy to me in a way.

The bad guys plan didn't work for me. Way too complicated and relied too much on Iron Man being there at the end. No way he could have seen that Iron Man would figure it all out in the proper time frame to be in the missile silo to see the video. It all relied on a hotel hostess dropping breakfast off at the right time and setting off a specific list of events. While he could control the timing of breakfast and when the real shrink was found, the rest was contrived. Reminded me of Palpatines plans all coming together. Now I don't know Shemo from the comics, so I didn't miss anything else with him.

Spider Man seemed too young. But otherwise was pretty good. Didn't buy Stark bringing him into the fight though.

Agree with Logan that the shakey cam was annoying. They need to stop doing this. Also something seemed "off" in the fight scenes. Almost like the action was too fast and the frame rate seemed off. BW seemed especially choppy. Might have just been the theatre, but it bugged me.

When looking at Aunt May, just remember Marissa Tomei is 51 years old, and Tom Holland is playing a 16 year old, so the number add up pretty well.  Just because she's hot...well for me that's just a bonus.  :D  But to each their own.

As far as Spidey, they wanted to start him off young, just after he got his powers.  There are stories they want to tell while he's younger.

And, not sure if you're autocorrect did that or not, but just in case it's Zemo.  He's got no powers, he's just a brilliant strategist in the comics.  He often has plans like that that end up working perfectly.  But I get what you're saying.

I agree Tackle - the plan was silly.  I was looking forward to the 5 super soldiers actually and then when the plan was just to make iron man angry...what if Iron Man's reaction was "well, this is awful but I know Winter Solider was under mind control so Im not going to be mad at him"...whoops, end of bad guys plan.

I liked young Spider Man.  And I was dreading him to be honest.  But I liked the actor and the youth.  I like Marisa Tomei too so I liked her but it was definitely a lot different.  I hope they cast her for a good reason other than the one note "MILF" (or in this case AILF) angle.

It did seem odd that Tony would drag an inexperienced kid into a huge fight.  If would be nice to see more behind that reasoning or sense of anguish on Tony's part that he put a kid in harm's way.  The line when he basically took Spider Man out of the fight was good though.  I imagine we'll get more of Tony/Peter in the Spider Man film and they didnt have time to explore that more.  But ofcourse some people are asking, why Spider Man and not Daredevil? 

I suppose Tony might have thought that Cap and his crew wouldnt actually seriously hurt anyone so it wasnt a big risk to use the kid.  In addition to War machine getting hurt, perhaps havign Peter get seriously hurt would have been an interesting angle to explore.

Because Daredevil would never have been on Iron Man's side.  If anyone has watched the Daredevil Netflix series, they know he would never sign the accords.  He prefers being a vigilante.  All of the Defenders do.

Plus, Peter is more of a powerhouse then Daredevil.  I loved Bucky's face when he tried to punch Spidey and he just grabbed his hand.  He was totally like WTF!?!?!?

Also, I don't think IM knew that Cap had all those people on his side.  He definitely didn't know about Ant-Man or Hawkeye being there.  So he probably thought that using Spidey wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Edited by Logan007

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Good points Logan.  But then why doesnt Iron Man force Daredevil to sign the accords?

You can't compare comics and movies/tv.  Two different things.  The Daredevil on TV wouldn't go along with IM.