Expansion Draft

Ducky

I thought I would start its own thread.

So it looks like 7 forwards, 3 d and 1 goalie or

2 goalies and 8 skaters.

First and second year players are exempt.

The question I have is...they are probably going to make the guys with NMC and NTS clauses exempt. Does that mean they have to be counted on your protected list?

Little and Wheeler would probably be on the list anyway but if we are protecting 3 D men.....Buff, Enstrom and Stu would have to be protected and Trouba let out to dry? What about Myers whose NMC kicks in this summer? What if we have 4 players with these contracts at D.........what if we re-signed trouba to a NTC or NMC before the draft and we had 5 D men with NTC or NMC clauses? I don't like those clauses but I see why they are written in to so me contracts......Why Stu has one on a four year deal is beyond me.

If they aren't protected, I think the general concensus would be what TUP suggesten in another thread.

Scheif

Wheeler

Little

Lowry

Armia

Dano

Perreault (re-signed)

Trouba

Buff

Myers

Helle

If the draft is the next year, we will lose two really good players and one will probably be Comrie.

edit.......one goalie and 8 skaters

edit.......chances are it will only be one team but if two teams join, each team will lose two players instead of one.

Edited by Ducky

It isn't confirmed 2 goalies on the 8 players.   So far everything says 1 goalie so I'd go with that  

Not a guarantee on losing two players either.  It could still be only one new team. 

How is it we lose Comrie when players on ELC seem to be exempt?

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

It isn't confirmed 2 goalies on the 8 players.   So far everything says 1 goalie so I'd go with that  

Not a guarantee on losing two players either.  It could still be only one new team. 

How is it we lose Comrie when players on ELC seem to be exempt?

I thought they said 1st and 2nd year players?  Comrie is a first year player this year, second year player in 2016/2017.  If the draft is summer 2017, is he a 3rd year player (the year he is going into) or a 2nd year player (the year he just completed)?  That could make a big difference for the Jets.  Would impact Ehlers, Copp, Morrissey also.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I thought they said 1st and 2nd year players?  Comrie is a first year player this year, second year player in 2016/2017.  If the draft is summer 2017, is he a 3rd year player (the year he is going into) or a 2nd year player (the year he just completed)?  That could make a big difference for the Jets.  Would impact Ehlers, Copp, Morrissey also.

That is a huge difference for the Jets.  Petan would be in that list as well (doubt anyone would take him with the others we would have to expose).

If those players are excluded for 2017, then it would really be in the Jets interest for two teams to come in 2017, because a second team in 2018 or 2019 would include all of those players as well as possibly Connor if he makes the team next year.

I'm very much concerned with any selection/protection of any members of the Winnipeg Jets. I simply cannot forget the sheer raping of our roster the last time the NHL 'drafted' from our team in a 'reclamation' draft, to 'allow' us to join the fraternity that is the brotherhood of the NHL. 

And here we go again..close to really upgrading our roster, and we have to give away our talent.

I don't like it one little bit.

I was wrong about Comrie and he wouldn't need to be protected next summer.

It would have to be how many years they have played or else someone that has signed a contract this summer (Connor for Example) would have to be considered a 1st year player without playing a game or even knowing where he would play.

I couldn't agree with you more Mr. Dee. If they had left the WHA teams alone, we would have competed but they didn't want another league's teams competing right away did they?

Edited by Ducky

Lawless and a few others were saying the draft is in June and Ehlers would be considered a 2 year player at the time of the draft.....starting July, he is considered a 3rd year player.

Nylander from TO on the other hand, played in the AHL last season so he would not be considered a 2nd year player.

A team also has to expsose 25% of their signed payroll. I expect the GMs to tell the owners not to agree to this and there will be tweaks.

If this draft is held in 2018, we are going to lose a/some good player(s).

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

I'm very much concerned with any selection/protection of any members of the Winnipeg Jets. I simply cannot forget the sheer raping of our roster the last time the NHL 'drafted' from our team in a 'reclamation' draft, to 'allow' us to join the fraternity that is the brotherhood of the NHL. 

And here we go again..close to really upgrading our roster, and we have to give away our talent.

I don't like it one little bit.

We were raped as you said because we were outsiders wanting in. And the WHA Jets signed away Bobby Hull, the game's best forward & one of the most famous players of all time. So more out of vengeance, the Jets were destroyed as a team when they joined the NHL. This time, we're the insider so no one is going to draft our team away.  It only took John Ferguson three or 4 years toi rebuild the team into a very good team. I miss Fergy as he was a real colourful guy. The guy had a temper & from what I read held a grudge which is why Bobby Hull never finished his career as a Jet but a Hartford Whaler. They did not like one another. Fergy broke Hull's jaw in a fight in the late 60's. As a GM, he did a very good job with limited resources. I wonder how well he'd have built the team we have now if he was still around, our GM & 40 years younger?

Edited by iso_55

Yeah, back then the smart way to rebuild a team fast. Bring in skilled older Euros in their early to mid 20's as nobody ever did it before.  Took them a year to get used to the smaller ice surface & grittier play especially back in those days when fighting was the norm. Once they did, DY-NA-MITE!!

The Expansion draft would be held in June of 2017.... The NHL season technically doesn't start again until July 1st so guys like Comrie,Morrissey,Ehlers,Connor for example,Petan, De Leo, they would be exempt from the Expansion Draft. No need to protect them since they would only be 2nd year pros... Like i said, July 1st is the date the NHL continues the "new year" to start... so all those guys plus several others would be considered exempt. No need to protect them. They are all just gonna be 1st or 2nd year pros.. forComrie, Ehlers,Morrissey,Petan,De Leo, their 3rd  year of pro, AHL is considered PRO,  wouldn't start until July 1st.

The Expansion draft would be held before the NHL draft. So it would be in June sometime. 

Jets could expose guys like PAV, Stafford,Perreault,Thorburn,Stuart (NTC, not a NMC), Possibly Enstrom, Peluso, Hutch, Bunch of AHL guys...

Depends what happens with the NMC and NTC... some thoughts that NMC might be exempt from the expansion draft meaning you don't have to protect those guys... NTC? probably not, cuz those guys aren't being traded, they are being exposed to an expansion team.

If i had to guess, I'd say guys with No Move Clauses, Not sure the Jets have many, maybe just Enstrom? maybe even, they will be exempt. Guys with No Trade Clauses won't be. 

Edited by Goalie

There will be a lot of negotiating between the league and the NHLPA before the dust settles and the rules are set.

Expect them to be fine tuned somewhat after the GMS let the owners know the proposed rules and what that GM thinks of it and even maybe what he proposes.

I can't see us losing more than one player if it is in 2017 because who else besides Vegas is ready? So, we lose Burmi or Copp or maybe one of Chiarot, Enstrom or Stuart. It won't cripple us. Honestly, if Enstrom gets drafted, I can see him re-signing here a year later when he is an UFA.

If there is another draft in 2018, we'll lose a good player.

Here are the players that will be able to be drafted if not protected, in June of 2017. ( I think )

The bolded are the ones I would protect. I think most everyone is in agreement with the goalie and D men...probably the first 6 protected forwards too. I decided to protect Copp and not Burmi but that's me. We have longer control of Copp's contract and I think he is going to be a good player for us. I'm not sure how the 25% or the NMC/NTC works.

As far as I know, all other players are exempt and I don't know how drafted college players work either...

Scheifele Armia Dano Lowry Burmistrov Little Lipon Stafford Wheeler Perreault Copp Olsen Thorburn Halischuk Kosmachuk Peluso Brassard Cormier MacWilliam Trouba Kitchton Chiarot Melchiori Byfuglien Enstrom Myers Stuart Hutchinson Hellebuyck Pavelec 

If Vegas wants to burn up caphit to get to the floor and not match it with salary, Stuart makes 2.625m and gets paid 1.75m for 2017-2018. Otherwise, I saw a mock draft that had Enstrom being drafted.

Edited by Ducky

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Buff and Enstrom have them and Myers has one that kicks in July 1, 2016.

If they are exempt, fine. If not, and we have to protect them, we are in trouble.

Trouble?  If you consider losing Enstrom trouble then yes. But realistically every team is going to lose someone. With the 2nd year exception jets stand to be well protected. Enstrom might be the sacrifice. 

34 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Trouble?  If you consider losing Enstrom trouble then yes. But realistically every team is going to lose someone. With the 2nd year exception jets stand to be well protected. Enstrom might be the sacrifice. 

If they aren't exempt, that means we have to protect them...

If we have to protect Buff, Myers and Enstrom, where does that leave Trouba?

I consider losing Trouba trouble.

Then you trade Enstrom. It's really that simple. Jets won't let trouba go in an expansion draft. They would trade both myers and enstrom b4. Possibly this off season. 

If you actually think jets are gonna lose one of the guys they plan on building around .. think again. They will lose a bottom 6 forward or Chiarot or Stuart pretty much.

Quebec City won't get a team until the CDN dollar is doing better or they will get a relocated team... Florida Carolina NYI type. 

Arizona will stay in Arizona or go to Seattle once their building is ready. 

If we get Matthews then maybe Little is left exposed to the expansion draft. 

Doubt GMS would want guys with NMC forced to be protected cuz for some teams that's probably more than 4 or 5 guys. They would be exempt more than likely.

Edited by Goalie

Helle Scheif Wheeler Morrissey buff trouba will be protected for sure. Ehlers and Connor won't need to be.

Why not expose Burmi... he's a fa next July 1st. Stafford also. Perreault also. Unless Perreault signs a new deal he will be left exposed also. We will lose 1 player. That's it. That player we lose won't be a guy with a future here. That's the bottom line 

Edited by Goalie