Rookie Camp Observations - Day One

Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, (and as someone that's legit a fan of MR9), that's gotta be best case scenario. If Cameron turns out to be half as good as we hope, then we're cookin'....

Yeah I like Renaud but by god a Cameron punting for the Bombers is just such a natural thing I hope to god it happens.

I got there a little late and didn't see any punting whatsoever so I can't comment on that.

It was a typical first day of rookie camp, pretty slow paced and definitely nothing too advanced. Great to see football in any form at the new stadium.

I thought Max Hall looked good today, very accurate. I saw him miss only one throw that I can remember during the scrimmages. Even when they are just doing drills and throwing into the net, Hall puts it in the pocket almost every time. I'd still give the edge in arm strength to Goltz but Hall looked the best out there today for my money.

Out of the receivers, I thought Doug Pierce, Wallace Miles, Quentin McCree, and Trevor Kennedy looked fairly good. Pierce I'm happy to see play well because I didn't think his mini-camp was that great. Anderson looked like a veteran out there, as he should, but I'd still like to see him catch the ball more consistently. Good speed and nice routes though. No complaints about Michael DiCroce, he was catching the ball when he got the chance. Didn't stand out in a bad way but I wasn't watching him closely or anything.

I'd like to see more of Carl Fitzgerald. He had a couple chances but the throws weren't great and he didn't catch them. One may have been catchable but he had the DB all over him, I think the ball came out a little late but it's hard to be sure... he may have cut off his route too early. Anyway he's a big body and looks pro-ready, at least physically. Oh yeah, they also had WR Brett Carter out from the Rifles.

Not much else to say... the linemen were just doing drills. DB Bert Brown had a good day, I thought, he was doing a good job of getting on receivers quickly. David James and Dekota Marshall were lining up at nickel (SAM), there may have been others but I noticed those two specifically. Lots of guys rotating through at WILL, as you might expect. Wendell Brown showed good quickness.

And how could I go without mentioning Casey Creehan? It's great to have him back on the field! There will be no complacency on the back end this year, I can tell you that much. If guys aren't willing to "GET TO THE ****ING BALL!!!!!!", then they aren't going to stick around long!!

I got there a little late and didn't see any punting whatsoever so I can't comment on that.

It was a typical first day of rookie camp, pretty slow paced and definitely nothing too advanced. Great to see football in any form at the new stadium.

I thought Max Hall looked good today, very accurate. I saw him miss only one throw that I can remember during the scrimmages. Even when they are just doing drills and throwing into the net, Hall puts it in the pocket almost every time. I'd still give the edge in arm strength to Goltz but Hall looked the best out there today for my money.

Out of the receivers, I thought Doug Pierce, Wallace Miles, Quentin McCree, and Trevor Kennedy looked fairly good. Pierce I'm happy to see play well because I didn't think his mini-camp was that great. Anderson looked like a veteran out there, as he should, but I'd still like to see him catch the ball more consistently. Good speed and nice routes though. No complaints about Michael DiCroce, he was catching the ball when he got the chance. Didn't stand out in a bad way but I wasn't watching him closely or anything.

I'd like to see more of Carl Fitzgerald. He had a couple chances but the throws weren't great and he didn't catch them. One may have been catchable but he had the DB all over him, I think the ball came out a little late but it's hard to be sure... he may have cut off his route too early. Anyway he's a big body and looks pro-ready, at least physically. Oh yeah, they also had WR Brett Carter out from the Rifles.

Not much else to say... the linemen were just doing drills. DB Bert Brown had a good day, I thought, he was doing a good job of getting on receivers quickly. David James and Dekota Marshall were lining up at nickel (SAM), there may have been others but I noticed those two specifically. Lots of guys rotating through at WILL, as you might expect. Wendell Brown showed good quickness.

And how could I go without mentioning Casey Creehan? It's great to have him back on the field! There will be no complacency on the back end this year, I can tell you that much. If guys aren't willing to "GET TO THE ****ING BALL!!!!!!", then they aren't going to stick around long!!

This is the perfect Camp Day post. Love hearing individual "Just my opinion, but..." stuff.....great job!!!!

I said it last year at this time .. people underestimated the impact of losing Creehan. I'm very glad to see him back in the fold .. his intensity translates over well to the guys he coaches .. looking forward to seeing our defense work.

Thanks to the good doctor for his report :D

Next up is Bob Irving and Kirk Penton on CJOB NOW.

is someone able to summarize anything interesting for those of us who can't listen? It'd be much appreciated.

So far:

Everyone's raving about Max Hall. Irving thinks we'll see more of Goltz than we expect (in wildcat).

Thanks to the good doctor for his report :D

Next up is Bob Irving and Kirk Penton on CJOB NOW.

is someone able to summarize anything interesting for those of us who can't listen? It'd be much appreciated.

So far:

Everyone's raving about Max Hall. Irving thinks we'll see more of Goltz than we expect (in wildcat).

cool. Very intrigued by Hall, hopefully it translates into games and not just practises because this team sorely needs a fresh face at qb I think.

Irving says he'll be keeping an eye on Etienne vs. Poblah. Thinks that Etienne can potentially give Poblah a push.

He also said that Fitzgerald was used a fair bit as a fullback in the drills today. Does this mean we'll actually be using a Fullback this year?

He also said that Fitzgerald was used a fair bit as a fullback in the drills today. Does this mean we'll actually be using a Fullback this year?

I think it's more like just the way the league is trending. Fullbacks are less fullbacks as they are tight ends. Get someone who can handle all the responsibilities of both and line up in a variety of positions on the field etc etc. Wouldn't expect a fullback to ever take a handoff, but catch passes out of the backfield for sure.

Irving figures we are pretty set at import receiver (Edwards and Matthews) but Denmark COULD be challenged.

I wonder how long Edwards is able to hold on for... he's not getting any younger and the way Mack finds receivers.... Obviously his veteran presence is key but at what point do they decide that youth trumps experience?

Irving figures we are pretty set at import receiver (Edwards and Matthews) but Denmark COULD be challenged.

I wonder how long Edwards is able to hold on for... he's not getting any younger and the way Mack finds receivers.... Obviously his veteran presence is key but at what point do they decide that youth trumps experience?

I don't think they can get rid of him until his production drops past 500 yards or so. With him you get guaranteed production right now. If that is costing you a premium...well what can you do unless you have someone that is producing that much more...

Irving says he'll be keeping an eye on Etienne vs. Poblah. Thinks that Etienne can potentially give Poblah a push.

Think more the H-Back roll that Sellers played in Washington .. hybrid TE / FB type.