Time For Bigger Nets

Jpan85

There's a whole list of reasons why scoring is down. Goalie size, expansion, the trap, offensive players actually being hit instead of being allowed to make a home behind the net.

We've added O.T., dropped 1 now 2 players from O.T. which I hate like Buff.

Nets wider to raise the goal output? Not a bad idea.

Do we really want to see 8-6 games like it was when Gretzky played? Guys with average talent were 35 goal scorers. Above average players were scoring 50. Then the superstars 60 & more. The goalies back then were terrible. Defense was running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The NHL-WHA merger lowered ythe calibre of play as there weren't enough good North American players to go around. Only the influx of Euros in the late 80's & 90's brought the talent level back up. I'd rather watch a well played 3-2 game of today than a ragged 9-7 or 9-8 game from 35 years ago.

Agreeing with Iso, once again.

not only that, the shots these guys make now are amazing..... sliding the puck in threw tiny creases and openings.

A Jet scored one the other day, against the blackhawks..... think it was Little, ten feet from the net, goalies right....he put it into a space probably barely bigger than the puck.

Agreeing with Iso, once again.

not only that, the shots these guys make now are amazing..... sliding the puck in threw tiny creases and openings.

A Jet scored one the other day, against the blackhawks..... think it was Little, ten feet from the net, goalies right....he put it into a space probably barely bigger than the puck.

Most of the marginal NHL players back then are AHL calibre players today. Maybe a handful of goaltenders from the 1979 thru 84 could play today but I think most would be AHL or backup goaltenders today. I'm talking some big names too.

Goalies are bigger, hence less net.

Sweaters are bigger...to fit over the increase in equipment, hence less net.

Blockers and mitts are bigger, hence less net, to shoot at.

It's no big secret.

A bigger net? I guess it's easier than a bigger ice surface..and cheaper.

I hope they do their homework on this one.

Everyone wants smaller goalie equipment and I'm all for that......as soon as they throw away the carbon fibre sticks and go back to shaved down tree branches.

You're right, and it's not as if those sticks last any longer. And now there is a brewing controversy in curling brooms.

The technology is getting too good for its own sake.

if i had to choose between high scoring 8-6 games vs trap hockey (like 2005 that the new jersey devils perfected) i'd take scoring everyday

I like the games now. What's wrong with them?

nothing, I enjoy the rate the games going,  but if it was a choice between one or the other as far as high scoring games of old vs the game of bore from the mid 2000s, id take the high scoring games.  It does seem like the CFL they keep insisting on tweaking the game, im not a big fan of the 3 on 3 OT (I could live with 4 on 4) but thats an example of why?  shoot outs Ive always felt was rather dumb