Connor McDavid out Long Term

Rich

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=786236

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Oilers will be without center Connor McDavid after the No. 1 selection in the 2015 NHL Draft sustained a long-term, upper-body injury on Tuesday.

McDavid went crashing into the end boards after taking a shot on net late in the second period of a 4-2 win against the Philadelphia Flyers at Rexall Place.

Oilers coach Todd McLellan confirmed McDavid would be out long-term. General manager Peter Chiarelli is expected to provide an update on McDavid's status Wednesday.

McDavid came down the left wing, shot, was checked, fell, and slid into the end boards with 1:44 remaining in the second. He was being defended by Flyers defensemen Brandon Manning and Michael Del Zotto.

"He's disappointed, it's disappointing to get injured," McLellan said. "It's his rookie year, things are going really well and he wants to be part of the group, which he still will be, just not in a uniform for a little while. I have a 19-year-old, I can't imagine how he would feel if he was in the NHL in his first year and got hurt."

McDavid, 18, had five goals and seven assists in 13 games for Edmonton this season. On Monday, he was named the NHL's Rookie of the Month for October.

The Oilers host center Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins on Friday in what was a highly anticipated matchup until McDavid sustained his injury. McDavid is considered a generational talent and the best player to enter the League since Crosby in 2005.

"He had a head of speed and went down awkwardly," Oilers center Ryan Nugent-Hopkins said. "He didn't have anywhere to go really and the guys kind of landed on top of him. I'm not 100 percent sure what the prognosis is, but it didn't look too good. I feel bad for him. He's been playing so great, he's putting the work in and it's an unlucky play. I feel bad for him."

McDavid appeared to have lost an edge on the play and went into the boards with Del Zotto and Manning.

He was able to skate to the bench on his own and waited until the end of the period before making his way to the dressing room.

"It was just a hustling power play, they came back at us on a 2-on-2 and he kind of just stepped on the outside, I turned and [Del Zotto] came across and just between the two of us, I think he went into the boards awkwardly," Manning told CSN Philadelphia. "He wasn't able to protect himself. Just by looking at him there, I'm sure it's his shoulder or his collarbone."

"A dangerous play like that, you don't want to see anybody go in like that with a couple of guys riding him," Nugent-Hopkins said. "It was definitely tough to see. I know everyone, for the most part, wanted him to let him know that we're here for support and hopefully he feels better."

The Oilers were losing 2-1 at the time of the injury and came back to score three third-period goals for the win.

"It's tough, the kid was playing real well for us," Oilers forward Matt Hendricks said. "I'm not sure what the exact details are of the injury. I'm glad he was able to get off on his own two feet. He's in a little bit of pain. It's hard for guys to see a teammate go down like that, but at the same time, we had other guys step up."