Obstructed Views

Jpan85

They've been talking about it on 1290 as well. Some callers are indifferent but some are pretty pissed off. The pictures are out there on social media. It's definitely more obstructed than it used to be for some seats. It affects a pretty small number of fans I think. Unfortunately they weren't warned at all or given any options so I think that's what some people are upset about.

Go check out the  barclays center in Brooklyn and the  hockey set up and then get back to this one.... Now those are obstructed seats and BIG TIME...  And it's not just 25 seats like at MTS center, it's 100's if not 1000's. Anyone actually see the set up at the Barclays for Hockey? 

The railing coming in from the right side is existing though right? Since row 1 of the upper deck is no longer the last row before the bottom end of the upper deck they could remove it now? Not saying it be better but it would help.

Still can't help but partially blame that drunk guy at old CanadInn's for some of this.

I had the same experience when I had Jets season tickets the first two years the original team was in the NHL. My friend & I had 2 tickets in the last row of the newly constructed upper decks at the old Winnipeg Arena. After the season started, maybe 3 games in the decks were inspected & deemed unsafe for some reason. They closed the first row & moved everybody back one meaning we were sitting in the concourse on plastic orange seats that were bloody uncomfortable. Because of the steep overhang of the upper deck & the fact we were so high up in the concourse nearly half of the view of the ice was gone. The Jets then like the Jets now offered no refunds to anyone saying what happened wasn't their fault. This affected everyone who sat in the last row of the upper decks on both sides of the arena. Don't know how many people were affected but it was quite a few. Winnipeg Enterprises installed close circuit televisions so we could see the action. I just got used to watching the action on the ice to my left & switching to the tv on my right. After 2 seasons of putting up with it, we both decided to cancel our season tickets as clearly there was no solution other than sitting in the end zones which we didn't want to do.

The other issue is the pics. I'm not doubting their veracity but I am. Angle. Height. Vantage point.

They will end up trying to lessen the thick poles and railings but it is what it is.

This is my feeling as well. *Some shots I've seen of "obstructed" views look like the main problem was the cameraman centering the floor in the shot, not the rink itself. That said, it's another reason I feel the very last 2-3 rows in each section are some of the best.

The other issue is the pics. I'm not doubting their veracity but I am. Angle. Height. Vantage point.

They will end up trying to lessen the thick poles and railings but it is what it is.

This is my feeling as well. *Some shots I've seen of "obstructed" views look like the main problem was the cameraman centering the floor in the shot, not the rink itself. That said, it's another reason I feel the very last 2-3 rows in each section are some of the best.

Agreed on the back rows being the best.. My season seats are in 305 row 12 (which is the back row) and I couldn't be happier.

When i go to games and i do try to get to 5 or so games a year, no season tix here but when we do go to games, The higher the seats the better in my opinion.

I mean, yeah getting tickets right next to the glass would be awesome but that's not gonna happen, sat in the Jets  wives and girlfriends section a couple times too and those are pretty good seats (sister knows them and hooked it up) but... really do enjoy watching the Jets game from as close to the top as possible. Good value too really. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sun:

Just hours from their first home game of the NHL regular season, the Winnipeg Jets have released their plan to appease unhappy fans in the upper level of the arena.

New premium, loge seating attached to the upper level has caused obstructed views for what the Jets have said is nearly 200 ticket holders. Some of the seats have dramatically inhibited sightlines, which didn't come to light until the first pre-season game.

Since then, season-ticket holders have been in the dark about the plan to fix the problem.

In an e-mail to ticket holders Friday morning, the team outlined a plan that will see all 6,500 seats in the upper level raised by two and a half inches.

Secondly, True North Sports and Entertainment is reviewing the need for the steel railings and glass that are causing the problems, and removing “unnecessary elements,” the e-mail says, adding those changes are subject to safety concerns and building codes.

In addition, for those fans near the loge entrances “a number of broader construction and programing solutions are being studied in detail,” season-ticket holders are being told.

“As a result, we are not in a position yet to definitely state the holistic solution,” the e-mail reads. “However, we wanted affected patrons to be aware and know that True North... understand and own the issue, and are committed to making it right in the coming months.”

Season-ticket holder Jesse Nicholls, one of those with a dramatically affected view, is taking a wait-and-see approach to the promised fix.

“Even if they get rid of all the bars, in an ideal world there's no metal there, it's all plexiglass -- it's still not ideal to be looking through three layers of plexiglass, either,” Nicholls told the Winnipeg Sun. “It's nice they're not just sitting on their hands until next season. I'll give them credit for that.”

The Jets' e-mail says work on raising the seats and removing railings has already begun and should be completed by the end of November.

As to how this oversight occured in the first place, the e-mail states “there was an under-appreciation for amount of steel and glass required for safety railings and loge access.”

The e-mail goes on to say, “This issue was first observed as the project neared completion and railings were installed, however, the extent of the concern was not fully understood until ice and rink boards were installed just prior to the start of the pre-season on September 22, 2015.”