The CFL Explained By An Ignorant American Who Just Skimmed Wikipedia

cdnfreak

Any old-timers remember Harvey Wylie, stamps v blue, I think,  kicking it out of the end zone trying to save a game as time ran out.

something like that. tension was high.

This has to be the most heart-breaking example of the rouge being used to beat the Bombers, in almost their entire history:

Saskatchewan cut the lead to 24-14 heading into the final 15 minutes, and roared back with 10 unanswered points -- including a Reed major with 3:24 left to play -- to square the affair.

And then it got interesting.

Riders kicker Jack Abendschan misses a field goal as no time is left on the clock. Mike Law, knowing he can't allow the single point under any circumstances, promptly boots the ball out of the end zone and back into the field of play. "I got it off as fast as I could," Law told the Free Press after the game.

"Did it have a spiral on it?"

Lancaster picks up the pigskin and launches a punt back into the Winnipeg end. His kick is picked up by Paul Williams, who quickly punts the ball back to roughly the Bombers 30-yard line, where the Rider returner eventually gets tackled.

Overtime, right? Wrong.

Amid the craziness, Winnipeg gets flagged for a no-yards penalty, an infraction to the defensive team that allows Abendschan a second chance at glory. He punches through a 32-yard field goal to give Saskatchewan a 27-24 victory.

"I missed the big one but they gave me two chances," Abendschan said after the game. "As I was running back into position, I pass (Winnipeg's Rob McLaren) and said: 'You gave me one too many chances.'"

Of course the Riders went on to choke in the Grey Cup against Hamilton.

Pretty funny article...

this had to be my favourite line:

"Despite a very long history, the Riders have only won the Grey Cup 4 times, so mathematically you might want to root elsewhere, even if they did win pretty recently (2013)"

Such stupid logic. The cubs havent won the WS in over 100 years, so no one cheer for them. Aaannd theyd be gone. Basically every pro sports team would have folded by some point in time if people followed that kind of logic.

As for what an american thinks? I dont give half a crap. I follow the cfl because i love the game and i love the blue. Not because it might get bigger or other may come to love it.

As much as i want the league to succeed and make money and get better talent, i dont want to see a 15 or 20 team league, or american expansion again. If it stays the way its been the last few years ill be very happy.

You took this article waaaaaaay to seriously :)

I loved this part:

“But I don’t know the players” you say. Yeah? You know Michael Sam! You remember Chad Johnson/Ochocinco! Also, don’t pretend you know all the players in American football. Name me a defender on the Tennessee Titans. See?

I sat there for about a minute trying to think of a Titans player... The only one to come to mind was Cortland Finnegan... who hasn't played there in 4 or 5 years... clearly I'm not in mid-season form...

My guesses are Smith and Johnson.  Every team has at least one player with either last name.

Yup. Johnson did play for the Titans. What about Williams? Could be a last or first name.