TC Day 3

but I agree he needs to work on how he handles them better.

Football coaches in general seem to be living in a culture of super secrecy and paranoia about revealing something. CFL and NFL. 

It's carried to extremes. "on to Cincinatti"

Paul Maurice is good with media. No vague non answers. A press conference after every game, he still tries to answer questions forthrightly, and without insulting the fans with generalities.

I wish O'Shea could be more like Maurice.

But Maurice has been through the media cauldron, and  must have learned a lot from it.

Hockey and football are different beasts. With so much time in football to prepare for specific opponents it stands to reason you want less information out there for your opponents. In hockey you often play back to back nights or with one day in between and the preparation for your next opponent is not as in depth. 

I like how O'Shea operates in the media truthfully. You can tell he's the kind of guy that the players will trust because he doesn't throw them to the wolves. 

2) This argument is often used and it's pretty shaky at best.  At the playing speed in the pros it's almost impossible to target another players injury directly during the play.  Also most players know that if they target another players injury, that they will get the same in return.  These guys all take the same risks and they are more of a brotherhood than most fans think.  

I agree that doing it at game speed would be pretty challenging. It's the opportunistic plays a player can make after the whistle or against a prone player that I'm thinking of. Think Kuale vs Buck or Kadri elbowing Fraser on a routine play. 

edited for english

I once overheard a lunch conversation during grey cup week where two large gentlemen were discussing how mr.x (overly aggressive player whose name I can not remember but had injured players) needs to understand that football is a business and that he needed to approach the game with a professional attitude. You have to be able to work with people when you change teams. That conversation changed the way I looked at the game at the time (I was young). For sure there is a brotherhood and a responsibility but there are also players who do not get it.