Game 68 : Jets @ Panthers

The story so far...

How will the team respond to one of the most devastating losses in franchise history(well to the fans anyway).

Pretty much a must-win.

15 games left. Tick, tick, tick.

Jets fans to outnumber Panther fans. It'll feel like home!

Pav to start.

Just kidding - Hutch to start and tonight's drinking word is...Tlusty!

That's what I thought. Given Maurice's comments you have to wonder about Pavs future.

I doubt we move Pav. Unless we get a proven vet for cheap.

Cant see us going into next year with Hutch and Helle or Comrie

I agree that makes the most sense.  Hutch is still on his low contract for one more year so Pavs money doesnt really mean anything.  But the Jets have been consistent in saying if a player doesnt want to be here, they dont want him (though they held on to Kane even after he asked for trade).  Depending on what happens here the rest of the way, if they feel Hutch is their guy, they could look to move Pavs in the summer and sign a cheap back up as they did the first couple years.

Writing sure appears on the wall for Pavs. The way he's played, coupled with the lack of faith from Maurice and Pav's recent comments - he's got to go. There's just no fit between the two sides anymore...the relationship just feels like it's deteriorated to Kane-like levels. Besides, Pavelec is at best the 4th most valuable goalie in the org. I feel like some overstate his value.

If Clarkson & Horton can get moved - so can anyone!

If I'm Chevy, I find someone/anyone who will take on Pavs remaining 2 (?) years after this. The return doesn't even matter - cap space is the return.

Start '15/'16 with Hutch (1) and New Guy (2), Helley starts in St.John's  the AHL again.

2016/17 looks like Hutch/Helley's team with Comrie starting in the A.

Goalie pipeline looks strong...

I think it's more likely you might see Helle up here next season, The guy has been nothing short of phenomenal in St Johns, I like Hutch but Helle is the goalie of the future for us, there is no doubt about it. Who says you need to have a vet goalie on your roster? Look at Anaheim, for the most part they have gone with Anderson and Gibson, 2 youngsters. If Helle is ready, he might just be, then he comes up to the big club next season. Comrie will be AHL eligible so he takes over for Helle. 

You could also, thinking of teams who might take a flyer on PAV, Edmonton is one that comes to mind, Apparently the Jets and Oilers had talks this past off-season about a Pav trade, well, I know he's a UFA but you could trade Fasth to WPG for Pav and then sign Fasth to a one year deal and go with Hutch/Fasth. Or you just go with the 2 youngsters and Comrie does what Helle has done this year and  becomes the starter in year 1 in St Johns/Manitoba/Wherever. 

I'm less and less convinced every game that passes that Pav will start another game for this team, I don't know, there is a back to back, Edmonton/Vancouver game coming up, I'll say this, if PAV doesn't start one of those games, he won't start another all year unless Hutch gets hurt. 

I was thinking Edmonton too.  Not sure they'd want to have Helle as the back up here next year.  I think he's only 21.  If they maintain their draft and develop model, they want him playing a lot, not sitting on the bench.  Not need to rush him at his age.

The issue I have with Hutch is, Pavs is a safety net right now.  Hutch hasnt proven he can be the every day starter without that safety net.  Every goalie has bad games and bad goals.  Hutch needs to find a consistency that is everyday high level.

I don't think Pav is tradeable cause I don't think there is a team that would want him.

As for free agents well 2014 would have been a good year. We missed out on the 'iller sweepstakes with Vanc taking Miller and Calgary taking Hiller.

A quick glance at Pavs stats puts him comparable to the following:

Miller

Halak

Ward

Allen

Varlamov

Ramo

Niemi

Kuemper

Bobrovski

Lehtonen

Neuvirth

etc

So I think there would be interested parties.

If David Clarkson and that albatros contract could be moved, Pav could be too. Many teams would take a chance on him if they didn't have to give up much in return. I don't think we'd get much for him but... Off the top of my head, Carolina,Edmonton,Buffalo even would all probably have interest in Pav. It wouldn't take a ton to get him. 

If helle is ready. Who cares how old he is. He might and I'd say quite likely he is better than hutch

Because goalies need games and starts to grow their abilities and learn from exp. Regardless of what they do with the goalies, they'll want Hutch, Helle and Comrie all getting starts somewhere.

I agree, a Helle/Hutch combo would be nice for the Jets...but my guess is they'd rather have Helle start 55-60 games at the AHL level over what, maybe 20-30 at the NHL level. But hey, I work a desk job and have been way off about virtually everything all year.... Kane's still a Jet, right? 

If helle is ready. Who cares how old he is. He might and I'd say quite likely he is better than hutch

Because goalies need games and starts to grow their abilities and learn from exp. Regardless of what they do with the goalies, they'll want Hutch, Helle and Comrie all getting starts somewhere.

I agree, a Helle/Hutch combo would be nice for the Jets...but my guess is they'd rather have Helle start 55-60 games at the AHL level over what, maybe 20-30 at the NHL level. But hey, I work a desk job and have been way off about virtually everything all year.... Kane's still a Jet, right? 

I agree with this.  Helle *seems* like he could be the real deal.  No sense messing with it.  At 21 years old, take it slow and steady.  Especially with Comrie going to the AHL next season, you have two young guys in the A.  Comrie will need to ease into the pro ranks too.  If they can move Pavs, it makes sense.  $4 million would go a long way to resigning Frolik, Ladd, Buff.  if they feel Hutch can be the everyday starter.  just sign a cheap veteran back-up.  What is Budaj's deal?  if he has time left on his contract, he could be with the Jets next season in that role.

I agree with this.  Helle *seems* like he could be the real deal.  No sense messing with it.  At 21 years old, take it slow and steady.  Especially with Comrie going to the AHL next season, you have two young guys in the A.  Comrie will need to ease into the pro ranks too.  If they can move Pavs, it makes sense.  $4 million would go a long way to resigning Frolik, Ladd, Buff.  if they feel Hutch can be the everyday starter.  just sign a cheap veteran back-up.  What is Budaj's deal?  if he has time left on his contract, he could be with the Jets next season in that role.

I think another option, and I'm just suggesting an option, is bubblewrapping him, buying out his contract.

Wont buy at Pavs as there are no more Cap-Compliance buy outs so the Jets wont do that.

Hammond sucked in the AHL too.  I have no idea if Budaj has a poor attitude but I do know he wasnt thrilled about playing in the AHL.  I think the Jets signed him as insurance in case Hutch couldnt hack the NHL.  So if Budaj has time left on his contract, he might be an option and would surely be thrilled to play in the NHL.

Wont buy at Pavs as there are no more Cap-Compliance buy outs so the Jets wont do that.

Hammond sucked in the AHL too.  I have no idea if Budaj has a poor attitude but I do know he wasnt thrilled about playing in the AHL.  I think the Jets signed him as insurance in case Hutch couldnt hack the NHL.  So if Budaj has time left on his contract, he might be an option and would surely be thrilled to play in the NHL.

Budaj is a UFA next year, and while I am sure he wasn't thrilled at going down to the AHL, word is he has been a great teammate and mentor to Connor Hellebuyck