If you were the GM...

northof60

This is not 1950 any place in NA is a few hour flight away.

Uh huh. Don't travel much to the US do you?

Fly from WPG to NYC and you're looking at basically a full day and over a thousand bucks, due to the connections in TO or MPLS or MON or CHI. 

Whereas you can fly from Calgary (much further west) to NYC direct most of the year in 6 hours and 400 bucks. 

Fly from LA to WPG takes at least half a day. At least one connection. LA to Calgary is 3 hours, nonstop, and way cheaper. 

Not saying WPG is a travel backwater but its certainly not an easy or affordable place to leave. 

Fly from WPG to NYC and you're looking at basically a full day and over a thousand bucks, due to the connections in TO or MPLS or MON or CHI. 

Whereas you can fly from Calgary (much further west) to NYC direct most of the year in 6 hours and 400 bucks. 

Fly from LA to WPG takes at least half a day. At least one connection. LA to Calgary is 3 hours, nonstop, and way cheaper. 

Not saying WPG is a travel backwater but its certainly not an easy or affordable place to leave. 

Not true. I just took a flight to LA in June, connected in Denver. Left at 8 AM local, arrived at 12 PM local (6 hours total)

Not true. I just took a flight to LA in June, connected in Denver. Left at 8 AM local, arrived at 12 PM local (6 hours total)

I'd consider 6 hours pretty much half a day.

Exactly -- connection. 

I just did LA - Calgary last week. 3 hours. And because no connection, my luggage arrived with me.

WPG airport is as cute as a bugs ear but it aint an international hub (though neither really is Calgary).

You really can't appreciate how lousy that is until you live in the Northeast USA, and can literally hop a last minute flight to London for $399 and get there in half a day.

I'm not saying that this is super important to any particular football player

Not everyone worries about that

Yes, you're right, that's pretty much what I said.

SPuDs, Calgary, Edmonton & Vancouver are closer to Los Angeles, Hollywood, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Denver, San Diego as well as other cities in the Western US than Montreal is. I think saying the West has relative isolation is totally wrong.
Try this: draw a circle with a radius of about a day's drive -- say 800km -- centered on Edmonton or Calgary or Regina. Then draw the same radius around Montreal. See how many more cities and people are in the Montreal radius?

I've driven the country coast-to-coast and it's astonishing how wonderful the west is.

FYP.

Exactly -- connection. 

I just did LA - Calgary last week. 3 hours. And because no connection, my luggage arrived with me.

WPG airport is as cute as a bugs ear but it aint an international hub (though neither really is Calgary).

You really can't appreciate how lousy that is until you live in the Northeast USA, and can literally hop a last minute flight to London for $399 and get there in half a day.

Calgary has designs on becoming a much bigger airport though. They're on their way. 

It always boggled my mind that Winnipeg given it's position right in the middle of the bloody continent couldn't find a way to make itself a hub. 

Exactly -- connection. 

Calgary has designs on becoming a much bigger airport though. They're on their way. 

It always boggled my mind that Winnipeg given it's position right in the middle of the bloody continent couldn't find a way to make itself a hub. 

Calgary either has spent or is in the process of spending $600,000,000 on airport expansion. With the Alberta economy in dange of flatlining, that may not have been wise but it is The Alberta Way.

Exactly -- connection. 

Calgary either has spent or is in the process of spending $600,000,000 on airport expansion. With the Alberta economy in dange of flatlining, that may not have been wise but it is The Alberta Way.

Winnipeg just spent $600,000,000 on it's airport upgrade. You don't get much for that price...  

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/sky-high-burden-284126091.html

Yeah, by relative isolation I mean that if you're in a Western city and you want to go to another city in any kind of reasonable timeframe, you've almost certainly got to fly, whereas if you're in Montreal, huge chunks of the populated North America are car trippable.

If you play in Winnipeg, you can drive to places like Thunder Bay, Fargo, Regina, and Saskatoon in a day. If you play in Montreal, you can easily drive to Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, New York City, or Quebec City in a day.

I'm not saying that this is super important to any particular football player, but when my family's considered moving back to a Canadian city, the isolation of the West is something we think about.

LOL...wtf??? You left out the most important city in the region. Minneapolis is at least an hour or more closer to Wpg than Thunder Bay...