Marvel Trying To Get Spider-Man Back

The Unknown Poster

The Interwebz is abuzz with confirmation via the Sony hack that Marvel and Sony discussed inserting Spiderman into Captain America: Civil War.  It seems like Sony countered with a new trilogy produced by Marvel but marketed and distributed by Sony where they would also maintain creative control.

I for one hope Marvel gets Spider Man back.

Too much money in it for Sony to give the rights back. We'll be seeing the latest Sony Spiderman film every few years like clock work just so they maintain the rights because there's money to be had in super hero films. Kind of too bad that none of the other companies that bought rights from Marvel before really understand why Marvel basically has a license to print money at this point. 

Well i dont know the details but Marvel got back the rights to Daredevil and Ghost Rider.  Sony had a plan to copy Marvel and create their own cinematic universe based on Spiderman but ASM2 really sucked (thanks Bob Orci, who incidentally was just dropped as Director of Star Trek 3 and possibly had his script punted too).

It all comes down to money.  If the deal is Spiderman in Captain America and its a one & done, it benefits Sony because they get a freshened up property.  But I'd suspect some sort of deal that flips full creative control and rights back to Marvel where Sony gets distribution and profit participation would end up being the final result here.  Sony screwed it up.  Let Marvel do all the work and Sony can cash the cheques.

I'd prefer if they dumped Andrew Garfield and brought Toby back in.

Maguire is going to be 40 next summer.  And while he has a "youthful" look to him, unless they want to take a story arc with an ageing Spiderman, he is getting too old to play Spiderman / Peter Parker as the struggling news photographer.

Maguire is going to be 40 next summer.  And while he has a "youthful" look to him, unless they want to take a story arc with an ageing Spiderman, he is getting too old to play Spiderman / Peter Parker as the struggling news photographer.

Yeah i thought that as I was typing it.  But if Marvel did it as a one and done, I'd not mind seeing an older Spiderman and use his 20 years as a crime fighter as motivation for being willing to unmask,  I didnt mind Garfield, just preferred Toby who is a much better actor.

Well i dont know the details but Marvel got back the rights to Daredevil and Ghost Rider.  

because the rights were only held as long as the companies making the movies used them. In the case of Daredevil it simply expired and ghost rider I am not sure it expired so much as there was no plans to actually try and keep them. All the deals Marvel made were use it or lose it deals, that's why we get a new X-Men or Spiderman movie every few years 

Well i dont know the details but Marvel got back the rights to Daredevil and Ghost Rider.  

because the rights were only held as long as the companies making the movies used them. In the case of Daredevil it simply expired and ghost rider I am not sure it expired so much as there was no plans to actually try and keep them. All the deals Marvel made were use it or lose it deals, that's why we get a new X-Men or Spiderman movie every few years 

At least FOX tries with X-men.  Sony seems clueless about Spider Man.

The real problem is that all these studios see the success Marvel/Disney had with a big sprawling shared universe and screamed "ME TOO!!!!!!" with X-Men at least there's enough characters involved in that you can in theory do a wide range of movies but with Spiderman? How can you possibly do something in the "Spiderman universe" without it just being another Spiderman movie? The fact that they only seem interested in re-telling an origin story is just another black mark. 

The real problem is that all these studios see the success Marvel/Disney had with a big sprawling shared universe and screamed "ME TOO!!!!!!" with X-Men at least there's enough characters involved in that you can in theory do a wide range of movies but with Spiderman? How can you possibly do something in the "Spiderman universe" without it just being another Spiderman movie? The fact that they only seem interested in re-telling an origin story is just another black mark. 

Venom.  Carnage.  Sinister Six.

The best place for Spiderman is back with Marvel.  As for Cinematic Universes, Star Trek is ready-made but Paramound/CBC (ie. Redstone) have ****** that one up royally.

Latino Review reports Marvel offered Sony a deal to split Spiderman 60/40.  Sony wants creative control which Marvel will not go for,.  Marvel wants to dump Sony's canon and stars.  No more Andrew Garfield.

They further report that if the deal is done SPiderman could appear in Captain America: Civil War (which in the comic storyline, SPiderman was a big part of) but since they have a script locked, he wont be any sort of significant part.  No more origin story either.  An appearance in Captain to announce his return to the MCU and a new series of films.