The Annual CFL Player Poll

Goalie

Toughest To Bring Down: Jon Cornish*, RB, Calgary (41%)

Biggest Threat To Score: Chad Owens*, WR/KR, Toronto (44%)

Most Clutch Performer: Ricky Ray*, QB, Toronto (32%)

Most Underrated: Kevin Glenn, QB, BC (10%)

Most Accurate Passer: Ricky Ray, QB*, Toronto (71%)

Fastest Player: Brandon Banks, WR/KR, Hamilton (31%)

Toughest Player: Mike Reilly*, QB, Edmonton (21%)

Nastiest Player: Shea Emry, LB, Toronto (24%)

Best Trash-Talker: Simoni Lawrence, LB, Hamilton (14%)

Hardest Hitter: Soloman Elimimian, LB, BC (32%)

Best Hands: S.J. Green*, SB, Montreal (22%)

*Repeat winner

Montreal Alouettes’ Chad Johnson (@ochocinco) was the winner of this year’s bonus question, earning the title of the CFL’s Best Tweeter with 24% of the votes.

Glenn as most under-rated is somewhat surprising, also SJ Green, who i thought hasn't had a very strong season with the ALS might be the other shocker. 

No, Glenn is very underrated. For the past few years he's been the 'backup' QB that's been forced into action and done well. Not Grey Cup win well, but he's a 'backup'. I personally think he's a 'tweener', reminds me a lot of a (now) famous coach - John Hufnagel. Huf was a 'ok' Qb but he wasn't good enough to be 'the' guy (not close actually). He only excelled when he came to Winnipeg and became the 2nd half monster - and a perfect complement - to Tom Clements. Prior to that, his time in Calgary and Saskatchewan was very "Kevin Glenn" like in terms of the consistency of his performance. Yet back then, no one 'ragged' on Huf as much as they rag on Glenn now. 

Not to take anything away from Reilly but man, was anyone tougher than Drew Willy this year??

Willy has to hit the weights & gain 30 lbs like Reilly did & then make a point to be in the weight room all season.

Willy said he wasn't in the weight room this season as much as he would have liked because of the hand and shoulder injuries.

What does that have to do with being tough?

Getting stronger & bigger makes it easier to absorb some of the hellacious hits Drew took this year. It should help preventing soft tissue injuries better. Of course it won't help when whacking a thumb off a helmet or tearing a  knee ligament. If he comes in about 20 lbs stronger we'll see a different player I think for the better. 

Getting stronger & bigger makes it easier to absorb some of the hellacious hits Drew took this year. It should help preventing soft tissue injuries better. Of course it won't help when whacking a thumb off a helmet or tearing a  knee ligament. If he comes in about 20 lbs stronger we'll see a different player I think for the better. 

but again, what does that have to do with being tough?

Getting stronger & bigger makes it easier to absorb some of the hellacious hits Drew took this year. It should help preventing soft tissue injuries better. Of course it won't help when whacking a thumb off a helmet or tearing a knee ligament. If he comes in about 20 lbs stronger we'll see a different player I think for the better.

Exactly.. Willy is plenty tough.. Getting bigger or more muscles isnt going to add to that... you're tough or you're not.. Ive seen muscle bound meatheads who were the biggest pansies and ive seen scrawny beanpoles who have pain tollerences beyond belief..

Adding muscle might make him morw sturdy or resillient but thats bout it...

Being able to absorb the hits better, pretty self explanatory.

Getting stronger & bigger makes it easier to absorb some of the hellacious hits Drew took this year. It should help preventing soft tissue injuries better. Of course it won't help when whacking a thumb off a helmet or tearing a knee ligament. If he comes in about 20 lbs stronger we'll see a different player I think for the better.

Exactly.. Willy is plenty tough.. Getting bigger or more muscles isnt going to add to that... you're tough or you're not.. Ive seen muscle bound meatheads who were the biggest pansies and ive seen scrawny beanpoles who have pain tollerences beyond belief..

Adding muscle might make him morw sturdy or resillient but thats bout it...

That's the general idea, SPuDs.

Remember when Buck Pierce gained a bunch of muscle and that was going to prevent injuries? Then remember after he got hurt all the time that year and the next year he lost a bunch of weight and that was going to prevent injuries?

Maybe Drew should get either skinnier or more muscled or maybe we should just try blocking for him?

Being able to absorb the hits better, pretty self explanatory.

Except what you're explaining has nothing to do with toughness. Toughness isn't the ability to withstand injury, though it's part of it, toughness is getting your ass kicked and popping up again to go another round. So how does your point matter?

Remember when Buck Pierce gained a bunch of muscle and that was going to prevent injuries? Then remember after he got hurt all the time that year and the next year he lost a bunch of weight and that was going to prevent injuries?

Maybe Drew should get either skinnier or more muscled or maybe we should just try blocking for him?

If he can do both, that ought to double his chances of not getting hurt. Personally, I suggest he should provide his O-line with sidearms. That ought to do it.

I guess it's a good thing Ricky Ray is so "clutch," otherwise the .500 teams he leads year after year would be terrible.

Heck, even Doug Flutie and Ron Lancaster had bad times, but of the current crop of CFL pivots, if I were coaching a critical CFL game, I would pick Ray.

Yeah, it's not Rays fault his receivers were injured half the season.  Don't think any team suffered as many injuries as the Argos did this year.  If they had the league average in man games lost to injury they would have probably ended up with 10-11 wins.  What really hurts them though is that loss to RedBlacks earlier in the season.  Should have had that one.