The Next Canadian Quarterback?

Jpan85

Aside from Kerry Collins, and John Hufnagel, Penn State quarterbacks don't have much of a history at the professional level, just because of how the school typically runs its offences. Regardless, it's very cool that a Canadian kid is getting a shot at a big time Div. 1 program, especially in one of the top two conferences in the NCAA. Best of luck to him.

Aside from Kerry Collins, and John Hufnagel, Penn State quarterbacks don't have much of a history at the professional level, just because of how the school typically runs its offences. Regardless, it's very cool that a Canadian kid is getting a shot at a big time Div. 1 program, especially in one of the top two conferences in the NCAA. Best of luck to him.

He choose Penn State since they have moved to a Pro Style offence.

He choose Penn State since they have moved to a Pro Style offence.

The offense does not breed quarterbacks. Wisconsin runs a pro style offense, in that they use single back, I formation, and off set I sets, but they run 70% of the time. Teams like Baylor (RG3), and West Virginia (Geno Smith) do not run pro style offenses, but produce highly drafted quarterbacks.

The offense does not breed quarterbacks. Wisconsin runs a pro style offense, in that they use single back, I formation, and off set I sets, but they run 70% of the time. Teams like Baylor (RG3), and West Virginia (Geno Smith) do not run pro style offenses, but produce highly drafted quarterbacks.

With Bill O'Brien there they will have QB's leave NFL ready.

Russel Wilson was a Wisconsin Badger

I'm aware, but they are not prototypically a QB producing school. They produce a lot more running backs in recent history (John Clay, Montee Ball, Ron Dayne, Aaron Stecker) than QB's for the professional level. Aside from Wilson, Scott Tolzien is the only Wisconsin quarterback in the NFL, and is on his second team in two years after being undrafted. Jim Sorgi got time when Peyton Manning was out in Indy in 08 I believe, that was a disaster, then spent time with the Giants, and Brooks Bollinger had a cup of coffee for a few teams. Wilson is the only guy that's had staying power.

Getting back to the HS player from Ontario... He may never play at Penn State or he could someday start. Who knows who they recruited? May not be top HS qbs because of the Bowl suspensions & sanctions they are suffering. So, the guys that will be ahead of him may be good or not. Time will tell.

Actually Bill O'Brian has done an excellent job recruiting kids to come play at PSU. His last recruiting class was ranked 30th best in the nation, which is pretty good when you look at the sanctions that have been put them. Their freshman quarterback Christian Hackenberg was the consensus No. 1 pocket passer in his recruiting class.  

O'Conner had letter of offer from 12 major conference teams.

Here is an article from a American source.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1663885-is-penn-state-best-fit-for-4-star-qb-michael-oconnor

I guess he realizes that for the star recruit 3 years he'll never play in a Bowl game. I wonder how that will affect his draft chances? Again, the Canadian kid is coming in to compete behind Hackenberg. It will be impossible to beat him out. These things happen all the time in recruiting. Coaches habe made up their minds.

Yep. Maybe if more Canadian HS qbs could get NCAA shots, the CFL would actually draft these kids. I'm all for this.

Unless they show well at that level, or teams have some sort of incentive for having a Canadian QB. I could be wrong, but I recall hearing that if a team were to start a Canadian at QB, he still does not count towards the number of Canadians you must start.