Jets Lineup?

Floyd

They really want to see Ehlers and Lowry perform.  In Lowry's case, it makes sense.  I didnt think Ehlers showed enough to take a look at him on the top line.  But should be a lot of fun to watch.

Ehler's was clearly drafted for his offense. It makes little sense to play him with bottom of the roster muckers.

Why put Petan on the fourth line then...

Looks like a 3rd line to me. Slater & Thorburn are clearly 4th liners.

Could be... Klingberg and Halischuk are clearly 4th liners as well though

and since he hurricanes got to the finals he hasn't accomplished much, that was a long time ago. You can be hopeful that he simply had a bad run, but you also have to admit that he's not a slam dunk either. The Jets are basically relying on Scheifele being a #1 defenceman and Trouba being a top pairing defenseman, that is asking a lot of players so young. If they can handle it then the team should be fine if they can't...

Scheifele being a #1 defenceman? 

typo, meant centre obviously

and since he hurricanes got to the finals he hasn't accomplished much, that was a long time ago. You can be hopeful that he simply had a bad run, but you also have to admit that he's not a slam dunk either. The Jets are basically relying on Scheifele being a #1 defenceman and Trouba being a top pairing defenseman, that is asking a lot of players so young. If they can handle it then the team should be fine if they can't...

Isn't that more on the GM than the coach?

yes, but that comment was less related to the coaching and more a general statement. There is the concern that last year was simply the rebound from firing a coach and there will be a let down. The comments on Schiefele and Trouba were simply an analysis of the roster right now. For them to be a good team those guys have to play like top players. I don't know if they can do it for a full year because it is a lot of pressure to put on players so young. 

I don't think he's a slam dunk, but taking a team to the final certainly proves he has the ability and maybe the potential to do it again. I guess the 'stars' have to align and everyone rows the boat the same direction. He seems to be a good motivator, and that's half the coaching battle right there.

I doubt there is a huge expectation placed on either of those players this year.  They are being given important roles because so far they have shown they can handle it.  It is part of the growth process, not yoking them under the expectation of them carrying us to the playoffs.  Scheiffle is on the line he's on because they hope this trio can become great over time, not because there is an expectation that he has to be our best centerman this season.  Trouba will someday be a top pairing defenceman for us, but if he's partnered up with Stuart, quite clearly they are not trying to do that this year.  No one partnered with Stuart will ever be considered a top pairing.

you going to argue the points I bring up or just try and snipe at me again?

I think Maurice is a better coach than you give him credit for. He certainly seems to have the belief and support of his players. We'll see how these new systems work out.

In his first 3 months he made very few changes to the systems the Jets were using.  Mostly on the penalty kill, some on the power play.  Frankly those were the most important changes to make anyways, as the Jets struggled to be effective under Perry Pearn's dreadful systems.  Most of the difference in Maurice and Noel came from Maurice holding the players accountable, whereas Noel seemed to expect that as professionals they would act like professionals.  That assumption was incorrect, and it cost him his job.

It sounds like more changes to the Jets "systems" are coming this year.  That word gets thrown around a lot but doesn't always mean as much as people want it to - there are very few scripted plays in hockey.  It's beauty as a sport is that almost everything that happens on the ice is improvisation at high speed.  In hockey the systems aren't really x's and o's so much as a unified understanding of how the team wants to react in specific circumstances.  You can have a one man forecheck, two to create pressure, keep guys high at the blueline, that's easy enough to get players on board with that, but the stuff in your own end gets far more loose as you don't have control over what happens when you don't have the puck. You are trying to do things to influence the opposition's actions and regain control without surrendering a scoring chance.

There are set plays in hockey. lots of them in fact. You're taught systems when you move from community club to AA and AAA leagues. You are taught positioning for your role in given situations. I do agree with you on unified understanding of how to react in a specific situation, and that's where systems help you understand that. From what i've heard about Maurices focus, it's on defensive play in your own zone, breakouts from same and entry into opposition zone. Stuff like: do we dump and chase against a particular opponent, do we go hard in the neutral zone and finesse our way in, etc. Don't discount systems, every team uses them. If interested: here is a link

Too much gets made of coaching.  Is there a "bad" coach in the NHL?  I think if you've made it to the NHL where there are only 30 head coaches, you're a good coach.  Not every coach wins a cup or award every year.  29 other coaches lose.

Gotta agree here. Look at Ken Hitchcock in Columbus and now look at him in St Louis. Columbus struggled when Hitchcock was there, same guy who has coached for Team Canada at the Olympics and other events like that, or one of the coaches. St Louis is a pretty good team, they weren't under their previous coach though but the players that St Louis had at the time were not as good as they are now, same with Columbus though. I think Coaching plays a role but at the end of the day, teams can use whatever systems they want and all that stuff and at the end of the day, it's still just hockey. The team who scores more goals wins all the time. Been that way since i can remember. I understand the importance of systems, more so strong defensive play, because if you only give up 1 or 2 goals a game, well... you probably have a high chance of winning but again at the end of the day, it's still just skate,hit,pass, shoot, score. Coaching plays a role but the talent level on the team plays a greater role. Maurice is a good coach, he had a team in Carolina that wasn't exactly loaded with talent, they pretty much rode a hot goalie to the finals... but for him to get that much out of that Carolina roster at the time definitely says he's a good coach. Are there some bad coaches? Sure there are. But i agree when you say if you made it to the NHL, you had to have done something right. 

Ehlers skill is off the charts right now, dude has a ton of talent, just needs to get bigger.. No chance he makes the team this year, just looks to small, but.. has had opportunities to light the lamp this pre-season so far but hasn't. Still, give that guy a year to get bigger and yup, he'll be a difference maker.

Petan looks really good to me, looks like he's at home on the power play and looks like he is a play maker, think the rest they are having him on the "4th line" in a meaningless pre-season game is to see if he can handle the different positions, they have played him at centre and wing, same with lowry, can play centre but was drafted as a winger.. Lowry to me has been the guy that has jumped out the most, like his size and his mean streak, hits everything. I think Lowry makes the team. Petan? Man, i love the guy and i think it's a waste to send him back to Junior cuz he's done all he could do in junior but he probably goes back to Portland one more year. Morrissey is interesting, does make a few mistakes out there, could be just nerves or a little lack of chemistry with his D partner but... he does a lot of little things very well. Excellent passer and very good power play qb i feel.

Roster? Sure lets do it

G- Pav, Hutch

Not gonna make pairings here cuz i think it's irrelevant if they are left or right handed guys so

Bogo,Trouba,Toby,Morrissey,Stuart,Clitsome,Postma as the 7th, That O'neill guy has looked good so far though so... Who knows there, Could change. 

F- Ladd,Little,Buff

F- Kane,Scheif,Wheeler

F- Lowry,Perreault,Frolik

F- Galliardi,Slater,Thorburn (Peluso)(Tangradi) 

WIth that roster being said, I think it's still possible the bottom 6 changes somewhat significantly.

F- Petan,Perreault,Frolik

F- Lowry,Slater, (Galliardi,Thorburn,Peluso,Tangradi) <-- insert which ever you want really. More offence? Galliardi? More toughness? One of the other 3 really. 

Should be an interesting game tonight.  Looks like the most veteran player in the line up is Frolik.  The kids will have all night to show what they can do.

Petan sure is impressive...and Ehlers has some tremendous talent.  One more year to purcolate for both, I think, but next year's training camp will be a lot of fun.  Wonder where these guys will fit in next season, likely both needing mid-six to top-six play to really reach their potential.

Should be an interesting game tonight.  Looks like the most veteran player in the line up is Frolik.  The kids will have all night to show what they can do.

Petan sure is impressive...and Ehlers has some tremendous talent.  One more year to purcolate for both, I think, but next year's training camp will be a lot of fun.  Wonder where these guys will fit in next season, likely both needing mid-six to top-six play to really reach their potential.

Yeah for once someone will have a younger team then the Oilers :P

In reality I believe the Jets v2 have been the youngest team in the league for years now have they not?

Yeah for once someone will have a younger team then the Oilers :P

In reality I believe the Jets v2 have been the youngest team in the league for years now have they not?

Yup, top 3 or 5 in the league in terms of youngest. Believe the maple leafs are there too with the youngest teams in the league. We don't really have many guys older than 30 on our team, i'm not sure what our average age is but it's definitely pretty young. 

Original post's lineup looking a bit more realistic...  We'll find out more tonight

Chiarot could end up as 7th D or Ellerby instead of Pardy but I think Morrisey sticks as 3rd pairing

Tough decision with Petan - I don't think he's going to benefit much from being sent back

Too much is being made of what line combos they are using and who is playing and who isn't playing. It's pre-season. It's pretty irrelevant actually. Maurice even said it's more about evaluating then it is anything else. Not surprised to see the Jets go with a very young roster tonight. Gotta see who wants it. Tonight will be telling. Hopefully a few of the young ones step up tonight, if not, it's probably back to junior or st johns tomorrow. 

Too much is being made of what line combos they are using and who is playing and who isn't playing. It's pre-season. It's pretty irrelevant actually. Maurice even said it's more about evaluating then it is anything else. Not surprised to see the Jets go with a very young roster tonight. Gotta see who wants it. Tonight will be telling. Hopefully a few of the young ones step up tonight, if not, it's probably back to junior or st johns tomorrow. 

Um, who is and isn't playing in pre-season is kind of the point of pre-season.  How are you going to evaluate a guy if he's not on the ice?  Kind of the definition of 'relevant'.

I'm feeling really good about the potential of this team in the next couple if years. So many skilled guys in the pipeline. I think we're going to have an amazing team.

Hutch looks really nervous or uptight or something.  Hopefully he relaxes.  But anyone who thought he would wrest the starters job away has to be disappointed.

I dont see how they can send Lowry down.  So that means we have this pencilled in on opening night:

Kane-Scheif-Wheeler

Ladd-Little-Buff

Lowry-Perrault-Frolik

???-Slater-???

Hard to argue that Halischuk hasnt played himself onto the team and Tangradi has probably proved he's an extra forward at best (likely traded or waived).  Galiardi wasnt signed to sit in the press box.  If it comes down to Halischuk/Galiardi, who do you go with?  And can one switch to the RW and have them both play?  And if so, what to do about Thorburn who has the nice new contract and Peluso who Maurice has said deserves more playing time?  Halischuk has the two-way deal so he's easy to send down but it would be a shame if that happens.  I think he deserves to stay.

On the back-end:

Enstrom-Bogo

Stuart-Trouba

???-???

Clitsome, Pardy, Ellerby, Postma and Morrissey are battling for 2-3 spots.  I think Ellerby is waived eventually.  Postma might be trade bait.  Clitty and Morrissey start with Pardy as the extra D when Morrissey inevitably needs some cooling off time.  Or Pardy goes down, Ellerby remains as extra D.  I still think they see Postma as trade bait.  Chariot (who's name I keep spelling wrong) looks good too and is potentially a call-up when needed.

I doubt there is a huge expectation placed on either of those players this year.  They are being given important roles because so far they have shown they can handle it.  It is part of the growth process, not yoking them under the expectation of them carrying us to the playoffs.  Scheiffle is on the line he's on because they hope this trio can become great over time, not because there is an expectation that he has to be our best centerman this season.  Trouba will someday be a top pairing defenceman for us, but if he's partnered up with Stuart, quite clearly they are not trying to do that this year.  No one partnered with Stuart will ever be considered a top pairing.

you going to argue the points I bring up or just try and snipe at me again?

I think Maurice is a better coach than you give him credit for. He certainly seems to have the belief and support of his players. We'll see how these new systems work out.

In his first 3 months he made very few changes to the systems the Jets were using.  Mostly on the penalty kill, some on the power play.  Frankly those were the most important changes to make anyways, as the Jets struggled to be effective under Perry Pearn's dreadful systems.  Most of the difference in Maurice and Noel came from Maurice holding the players accountable, whereas Noel seemed to expect that as professionals they would act like professionals.  That assumption was incorrect, and it cost him his job.

It sounds like more changes to the Jets "systems" are coming this year.  That word gets thrown around a lot but doesn't always mean as much as people want it to - there are very few scripted plays in hockey.  It's beauty as a sport is that almost everything that happens on the ice is improvisation at high speed.  In hockey the systems aren't really x's and o's so much as a unified understanding of how the team wants to react in specific circumstances.  You can have a one man forecheck, two to create pressure, keep guys high at the blueline, that's easy enough to get players on board with that, but the stuff in your own end gets far more loose as you don't have control over what happens when you don't have the puck. You are trying to do things to influence the opposition's actions and regain control without surrendering a scoring chance.

There are set plays in hockey. lots of them in fact. You're taught systems when you move from community club to AA and AAA leagues. You are taught positioning for your role in given situations. I do agree with you on unified understanding of how to react in a specific situation, and that's where systems help you understand that. From what i've heard about Maurices focus, it's on defensive play in your own zone, breakouts from same and entry into opposition zone. Stuff like: do we dump and chase against a particular opponent, do we go hard in the neutral zone and finesse our way in, etc. Don't discount systems, every team uses them. If interested: here is a link

Typed a medium length response explaining how and why I use separate terms for systems vs structures, oops hit the wrong button and it's gone, but we're probably talking about similar things in different ways.  Anyways, thanks for the link, I've never been to this site before.  10 years ago the internet didn't have much to offer coaches beyond a 16 bit Ryan Walter tutorial.

???-Slater-???

Hard to argue that Halischuk hasnt played himself onto the team and Tangradi has probably proved he's an extra forward at best (likely traded or waived).  Galiardi wasnt signed to sit in the press box.  If it comes down to Halischuk/Galiardi, who do you go with?  And can one switch to the RW and have them both play?  And if so, what to do about Thorburn who has the nice new contract and Peluso who Maurice has said deserves more playing time?  Halischuk has the two-way deal so he's easy to send down but it would be a shame if that happens.  I think he deserves to stay.

On the back-end:

Enstrom-Bogo

Stuart-Trouba

???-???

Clitsome, Pardy, Ellerby, Postma and Morrissey are battling for 2-3 spots.  I think Ellerby is waived eventually.  Postma might be trade bait.  Clitty and Morrissey start with Pardy as the extra D when Morrissey inevitably needs some cooling off time.  Or Pardy goes down, Ellerby remains as extra D.  I still think they see Postma as trade bait.  Chariot (who's name I keep spelling wrong) looks good too and is potentially a call-up when needed.

At this point, Hali I think has made the team. The other forwards? I'd say Galiardi(before the accident) and Peluso. Dark horse...Petan.

As for the defencemen I think Morrissey goes to the minors with Chariot and they go with 8 for a while before deciding who to get rid of. Postma/Clitsome are pretty similar in offensive talent, Would imagine one of those gets traded.

???-Slater-???

On the back-end:

Enstrom-Bogo

Stuart-Trouba

???-???

At this point, Hali I think has made the team. The other forwards? I'd say Galiardi(before the accident) and Peluso. Dark horse...Petan.

As for the defencemen I think Morrissey goes to the minors with Chariot and they go with 8 for a while before deciding who to get rid of. Postma/Clitsome are pretty similar in offensive talent, Would imagine one of those gets traded.

Morrissey cant be sent to the IceCaps.  Chariot can.

Clitty has the big contract.  postma might entice a GM into giving up a bit more.

As for bottom six...Lowry has made the team, this I am sure of.  Slater will be 4C.  That leaves two spots for Peluso, Galiardi, Thorburn, Halischuk, Tangradi.

Interesting discussion on Big Breakfast this morning.  Maurice has said that if Buff cant get back into the line up in Pre Season then he would not start the season on the top line.  So it look like Buff is 3RW with Lowry and Perrault.  The discussion was concerning minutes.  Will a 3rd line spot give Buff the ice time he needs to stay engaged?

I wonder if swapping Buff and Frolik lower the goals for a bit but likely also lower the goals against.  If Im Perrault Im saliavting and centering those two big bodies.

Also looks like Morrissey goes back to junior.  So Ill predict Pardy and Clitty as 5-6 D.  They might keep Postma as 7 then.  Ellerby waived to St Johns.

I think Petan if he shows well tonight sticks, I'm gonna guess Morrissey sticks aswell, i don't care what anyone on the big breakfast or any media idiot really says, they really do just talk out their ass most the time. Jets lack skill big time, Petan and Morrissey brings a ton of skill. Everyone high on Lowry because he's hit a few guys, but... Petans skill level is so much more than lowry, Petan could play anyrole on any line, Lowry? He's not a top 6 guy at all, he doesn't have the Offense to be a top 6 guy. Petan and Morrissey both get their 9 games for sure, after that? who knows. 

I think Petan if he shows well tonight sticks, I'm gonna guess Morrissey sticks aswell, i don't care what anyone on the big breakfast or any media idiot really says, they really do just talk out their ass most the time. Jets lack skill big time, Petan and Morrissey brings a ton of skill. Everyone high on Lowry because he's hit a few guys, but... Petans skill level is so much more than lowry, Petan could play anyrole on any line, Lowry? He's not a top 6 guy at all, he doesn't have the Offense to be a top 6 guy. Petan and Morrissey both get their 9 games for sure, after that? who knows. 

Lowry makes the team. I'm sure about that, Petan, not so much.

Lowry makes the team. I'm sure about that, Petan, not so much.

Oh theres no doubt Lowry makes the team but he is the easier one to send down, He just gets sent down to St Johns, could get called up anytime. I'm not sure about Petan either but the guy has tons of skill and i'm not sure what he gains by dominating the WHL another year, With the "injuries" we have right now, I think it's likely he sticks for the time being. Can say what you will but... the guy has looked pretty darn good in every game he's played, sure he makes the odd rookie mistake, but so does Ladd and he's a veteran. In all honesty if i had to choose one play who has stood out the most in the games ive watched (all of the pre-season games) It's petan, dude is playing with scrubs and has put up some points and is a plus player. 

I'd keep Petan for nine games. But the jets have a glut of bottom six guys.

Yeah but Petan has more skill than all those guys combined. I mean really..

Thorburn? Peluso? Slater even, how long will he be healthy for, Tangradi, These are guys that, well quite frankly they are what they are. Petan has more skill than all of them combined. He's been the best player on the ice this pre-season.