Drew Tate Injured At Practice Today

iso_55

He's a weird dude for cutting his hair?   

I think the fans don't give a crap how he acts....  they are more likely done with him because he's Buck 2.0 and can't stay healthy.    

It only makes sense to keep Bo Levi since the kid is really young still and has a lot of upside and can easily destroy the Bombers defense day in and day out!

LOL! Nah, he was a weird dude before he cut his hair & after. You have to live here in Calgary to appreciate it as we see him being interviewed on local tv to understand. Just doesn't portray the look & feel of a guy who can be a long term winner. He's kinda out there....

Calgary won't protect Tate but can't see Ottawa taking him. I think they take Collaros or Wiley.

Makes sense, personally I'd take Collaros.

Not to get off topic, but when is the roster freeze, is it right after the Grey Cup ?

Because I would think we could see a few trades before that, again depending on the roster freeze date.

They haven't announced anything officially about a roster freeze date as far as I know. I can't remember where I read it but I did see something about rosters possibly having to be set about a week before the expansion draft and there can't be any trades from then until after the draft.

Does anyone hear listen to Hustler & Lawless? Good ol' HfxTC at the CFL does (of course) and he's claiming that Kevin McDonald (CFL's head of football operations) said on the show that free agency was going to start on December 1 this year because of the draft. Anyone know if McDonald actually said that or if there has been any confirmation about it.

Free agency is not starting then. McDonald said there would be a period for teams to make moves before the expansion draft, then about a week prior to the draft, a roster freeze will take into effect to prevent anyone from doing anything fishy to prevent Ottawa from having a "fair" draft.

I said it once & I will say it again... Screw frigging Ottawa. They're going to have the best of both worlds. First poaching some good players from every team & then... free agency. Chances are pretty good they won't be close to the salary cap at that time & will be able to then poach free agents that other teams won't be able to sign because of the the SMS. 

Free agency is not starting then. McDonald said there would be a period for teams to make moves before the expansion draft, then about a week prior to the draft, a roster freeze will take into effect to prevent anyone from doing anything fishy to prevent Ottawa from having a "fair" draft.

I saw confirmation that what Kevin McDonald meant was that Ottawa can start signing free agents at that time. Free agency starts February 15, 2014.  Once again HfxTC got it wrong.

Tate has to be one of the worst guys to deal with the media... he's got a few screws loose.

Didn't I say he was out there? A little strange. Not the guy fans want to lead this team in the future. This is typical Drew Tate. Saying something dumb like that to the media just diminishes him as a qb who people have confidence in to be "The Guy" for the next 5-8 years.

The other reason that he's not popular in calgary is cause for whatever reason a lot of people liked Burris and didn't like him being traded. 

Think so? I never got that sense. Nobody wants Hank back but I know especially after what Tate said yesterday that they don't want him as the #1 qb either. He disappointed a lot of people.

Henry Burris is 2nd only to Jarome Iginla in Calgary, in terms of beloved athletes. A lot of the "angst" toward Tate has always been "You're not Hank...."

once the "sports fans" in this city get it in their heads that someone is among the best (which they thought about Burris) then they instantly get overly attached to them and won't let them go. 

I think that Hank's time was done here & that fans wanted to move on with him. Initially, they liked Tate but injuries, behaviour, weird antics & really questionable quotes to the media has really soured Stamps fans on Tate. They don't miss Hank because the Stamps are winning as much as they did when Burris was with the Stamps. The Stamps are deeper at the qb position now than they ever were when Hank was here. I think one of the issues is I haven't seen one Stamps fan say that Tate is the guy of the future. I think he's frustrated, seeing his career going downhill & pissed off that people really want him gone. And he's looking for a scapegoat. On Wednesday it was the Stamps physicians that were to blame for his problems health which was totally unfair.

I think that Hank's time was done here & that fans wanted to move on with him. Initially, they liked Tate but injuries, behaviour, weird antics & really questionable quotes to the media has really soured Stamps fans on Tate. They don't miss Hank because the Stamps are winning as much as they did when Burris was with the Stamps. The Stamps are deeper at the qb position now than they ever were when Hank was here. I think one of the issues is I haven't seen one Stamps fan say that Tate is the guy of the future. I think he's frustrated, seeing his career going downhill & pissed off that people really want him gone. And he's looking for a scapegoat. On Wednesday it was the Stamps physicians that were to blame for his problems health which was totally unfair.

Not to be a smartass, but I'd argue the 1998 Stamps QB Trio of Garcia/Dickenson/Burris might be a tad better.

Add Flutie before that, and now Tate and possibly BLM and then I think about the Tee Martins and Russ Michnas and Ryan Dinwiddies and Michael Bishops and oh God I think I'm gonna cry...

Not to be a smartass, but I'd argue the 1998 Stamps QB Trio of Garcia/Dickenson/Burris might be a tad better.

Add Flutie before that, and now Tate and possibly BLM and then I think about the Tee Martins and Russ Michnas and Ryan Dinwiddies and Michael Bishops and oh God I think I'm gonna cry...

Yeah, those 3 guys in Calgary back in the 90's were phenomenal.... In Edmonton in 1987 there was Matt Dunigan, Damon Allen & Tracy Hamm. In Winnipeg  back in 1986 we had Tom Clements, John Hufnagel & Jim Zorn.

From the Calgary Sun:

Another day, another diagnosis.

Such is life around McMahon Stadium when it comes to injured Calgary Stampeders quarterback Drew Tate.

Tate had a platelet-rich plasma injection Thursday into what is now being called a soft-tissue injury near his right elbow, and the best-case scenario for the Texan is a return near the end of the month.

“Two-to-three weeks … maybe more,” Stamps GM/head coach John Hufnagel said. “We want to take it cautiously.

“I’m not a doctor, OK, but I would think that tennis elbow would be something you could relate it to,” Hufnagel added. “Essentially, it is the soft tissue connecting to the bone, and it’s painful, so hopefully, we can get this cleared up.”

The rest of the article is here: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/08/08/injured-stampeders-qb-drew-tate-out-weeks-not-days

Also he says that when he said he was misdiagnosed he meant in regards to the timetable for his injury to heal, not the diagnosing of the actual injury.

And this is from a Calgary Sun report about the blood spinning procedure:

And now, with news that injured Calgary Stampeders starting quarterback Drew Tate is heading for a platelet-rich plasma injection into his wonky right elbow, blood is spinning, too.

The procedure, otherwise known as ‘blood spinning,’ will see the 28-year-old pivot have a small amount of blood drawn, mixed with an anti-coagulant and then placed in a special centrifuge and double spun, leaving the PRP concentration available to inject into the injured tissue.

Most common in baseball circles to give injured pitchers an alternative to surgery, platelet-rich plasma is relatively new on the sports medicine scene.

Sometimes, it works.

But sometimes, depending on the type of injury, it is simply an attempt to stave off surgery — and usually just delays the inevitable.

No one knows where Tate will fall on the blood-spinning wheel because no one really knows what injury he’s actually suffering from.

Whole article is here: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/08/08/calgary-stampeders-drew-tate-to-have-blood-spinning-procedure