Redblacks Qb Selection & Bombers Qb Opportunity.

Goltz

Pierce

Lulay

DeMarco

Nichols

Reilly

Joseph

Glenn

Tate

Mitchell

Durant

Willy

Ray

Collaros

Calvillo

Marsh

Burris

LeFevour

Above are the qbs that might warrant a look by the RedBlacks. I know the list is not complete.  The bold ones are the guys I suspect will be protected by their team and the red (Glenn and Collaros) are the guys I think Ottawa would take, at this point in the season anyway (Collaros ahead of Willy simply because he's younger).  

The point is that there are a few guys (DeMarco, Nichols, Tate, Willy, Collaros, LeFevour)   that their current teams may view as 'at risk', and might be available to the Bombers before Ottawa makes their selections in December (?).  Also if Ottawa selected Glenn then Tate would subsequently be protected as well (at least that's my understanding).

If I'm the Bombers, I'm inquiring about all these guys (primarily Collaros and Willy) sooner rather than later.

Thoughts?

Holoman - I thought about that too, as Ottawa would be unlikely to pick Burris. However if for some reason they DID pick him (instead of Glenn) then Hammy would be left without a starter of any merit. And really the chances of Ottawa picking a LeFevour are pretty slim with better options available, so I think they protect Burris - just to protect the CFL experience he brings.  

And Mike - what do you think would be an appropriate price for Collaros?

Holoman - I thought about that too, as Ottawa would be unlikely to pick Burris. However if for some reason they DID pick him (instead of Glenn) then Hammy would be left without a starter of any merit. And really the chances of Ottawa picking a LeFevour are pretty slim with better options available, so I think they protect Burris - just to protect the CFL experience he brings.  

And Mike - what do you think would be an appropriate price for Collaros?

Conditional draft pick up to a first rounder.

Let's face it - the Bombers first round pick this year is likely to be a gooder. From the Bomber's standpoint it may be tough to give that up for a guy we've barely seen play. They may be more interested in a more proven commodity like Tate (I'm not saying that would be a good idea)

From a personal standpoint however I liked what I saw, and a Collaros / Goltz tandem would be something I would be pretty happy going into next year with.

And no, there is zero chance that Ottawa picks Goltz if given the opportunity at this point.  If he starts a bunch of games and lights it up that can change.

RebusRankin - although I say Collaros I'd be happy enough with any of  Collaros, Willy, Mitchell etc. I honestly wouldn't know how to rank them at this point, and I think it will come down to who is available and their asking price.    

what are the contract statuses of those players? Which ones are upcoming FAs?

I'm not sure (Glenn may be a FA?) and you're right - if Ottawa can secure a Glenn through FA then that would throw everything out. But I suspect the league has a restrictive plan for FAs, otherwise the door would be wide open for shenanigans. 

If we are interested in Collaros then his price just shot up. I didn't get to watch much of the game yesterday but his stats were good. Still I'm not sure how significant the gap is between Collaros and Goltz. Milanovich and that offense may very well have bumped up how good he looks. If the two QBs switched places I'd bet there performances would be different.

The league has had so many young / new QBs flame out in the past few years -- Brink, Porter, McPherson, Dinwiddie, Lemon, Jyles, Lefors, Pickett, etc.  As a fan of the league as a whole I'm glad to see all the promising new blood showing up at QB.

As a fan of the Bombers, it's nice to anticipate one of them falling through to us.