Good article by Doug Brown

Good article in the Freep today were Doug explains the positive and negatives of Etch's defensive scheme.  If his fly-weight defence can continually keep opposing QB's running for their lives that would help ease the pain of giving up easy yards on the ground.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/columnists/run-d-might-be-weak-263399081.html

The most frustrating part for me, is that we have the horses to be very effective against both the pass and the run... but we're choosing to be one dimensional. Zach Anderson is strong enough to make up for his smaller physique in the NT position, and fast enough to effectively rush the passer out of that spot as well.

Turner is the best pass rushing DT in the league. Peach and Vega are both good at Rushing and Run stopping as well. If we played Wild at WILL and Kuale in the middle our LBers would be pretty good to. But Thomas and Dunn are going to hamper us in the front seven against the run. I think Thomas is a decent pass rusher.... not good but decent, but he's going to get man handled against teams like Calgary and the riders against the run IMO.

I think our secondary is going to be pretty fantastic though.. looking forward to the likes of Leggett, Sears, Randle and hopefully Bruce Johnson. I think Bruce Johnson and Leggett could be pretty great for us if they get regularly fair opportunities. Wouldn't mind seeing Johnson at HB.

The most frustrating part for me, is that we have the horses to be very effective against both the pass and the run... but we're choosing to be one dimensional. Zach Anderson is strong enough to make up for his smaller physique in the NT position, and fast enough to effectively rush the passer out of that spot as well.

Turner is the best pass rushing DT in the league. Peach and Vega are both good at Rushing and Run stopping as well. If we played Wild at WILL and Kuale in the middle our LBers would be pretty good to. But Thomas and Dunn are going to hamper us in the front seven against the run. I think Thomas is a decent pass rusher.... not good but decent, but he's going to get man handled against teams like Calgary and the riders against the run IMO.

I think our secondary is going to be pretty fantastic though.. looking forward to the likes of Leggett, Sears, Randle and hopefully Bruce Johnson. I think Bruce Johnson and Leggett could be pretty great for us if they get regularly fair opportunities. Wouldn't mind seeing Johnson at HB.

I believe that Zach Anderson is going to get a lot of snaps whether he is officially the starter or not.  Etcheverry loves to rotate his players.  We will see guys like Richardson, Stephan, Briggs, West, and Jones all getting time in the defence and that is when Anderson will be on the field.

Anderson will see lots of snaps if he makes the team.  He should, I just won't assume anything at this point.

Lucas and Newman were going to be big parts of the 7th NI rotation.  Now we'll have to wait and see if the guys behind them on the depth chart will be as effective.  I have liked almost everything I've seen from Bucknor so far.  I don't pay attention to other teams lunchpail guys so he has been a very pleasant surprise to me.  Maybe others knew he was this good when he came over from Hamilton.

The Bombers are choosing to give Willy the best possible offence to work with right now.  By game 2 they might feel confident enough in him or Goossen to start 4 NI's on the Oline.  If and when it happens, Anderson will get back the title as starter and the 45 snaps per game that comes with it.  Until then he's probably going to see 30 snaps per game.  There has always been a rotation on the Dline; Thomas was seeing some of Anderson's snaps last year.  Any issues with defending the run will have more to do with scheme than personnel.  And the fact that we've assemble personnel specifically for this scheme.  But mostly scheme.  We didn't have a nose tackle on the roster last year and we did alright against the run.