The TV Thread

On 2020-09-23 at 1:42 PM, Noeller said:

What you'll find is that they really needed another episode, and hopefully that does come one day. It's very unfortunate how the 90s weren't really mentioned, despite being one of the most important eras in the genres history. Burns really had a hard-on for the early 80s stuff with Roseann Cash, Rodney Crowell, etc..... that got way more mention than it should have, IMO. 

Wow, what a disappointing end. Barely a mention of Alan Jackson, Shania Twain, etc. Why couldn't they just cut it off at the resurgence of country music in the 80s, leaving the next generation untouched? 

Now, I'm a big Alan Jackson fan, so I'm totally biased, but he's had a heck of a career, including as a Blue Grass musician. 

And only a picture of the Kentucky Headhunters? Tsk, tsk. 

Rodney Crowell got very little attention, despite having his commentary throughout. 

I will go back and watch the first four episodes again next month when my library credits renew. 

Yeah, I'm a massive AJ fan, too. And say what you want about Garth Brooks, he's by far the biggest star in the genre's history, and he barely got any time. I understand why Hank Williams and Johnny Cash got so much time, I truly do, but Garth deserved equal or more. Hopefully there's at least one more episode that'll come down eventually. Burns has done that in the past (Baseball, specifically, received a follow up some years later...) and hopefully he does with this as well. 

That's one character covered 3* to go 

https://tvline.com/2020/09/24/the-simpsons-recast-hank-azaria-replacement-carl-carlson/

well the link isn't showing but the new voice actor's name is Alex Desert he's had a mix of Voice work and live action work (most notably Boy Meets World and Becker and most recently Better Things)

Edited by iHeart

6 hours ago, Noeller said:

Yeah, I'm a massive AJ fan, too. And say what you want about Garth Brooks, he's by far the biggest star in the genre's history, and he barely got any time. I understand why Hank Williams and Johnny Cash got so much time, I truly do, but Garth deserved equal or more. Hopefully there's at least one more episode that'll come down eventually. Burns has done that in the past (Baseball, specifically, received a follow up some years later...) and hopefully he does with this as well. 

I agree. I can hope he "fixes" the mess he's made by offering a few extra episodes. 

I'm such a big fan of Ken Burns' documentaries, which is why I'm a bit gutted on how the last two episodes unfolded. The genre is so massive that you can't cover everything. 

But, we still have the music. 

Little info on why it ends where it ends

Though the film incorporates the voices of younger performers such as Secor, the Dixie Chicks and Rhiannon Giddens, Burns decided to stop his narrative in the mid-'90s, just after the ascendance of Garth Brooks.

"We want to let the last 25, 30 years breathe a little," Burns explains. "We did this in 'Baseball' ... or in 'Jazz,' people criticized us for stopping in the mid-'70s. But I feel that you don't really know how important something will be in the scheme of things for a couple of, three decades, maybe.

"So we put on the brakes and stop at a certain point and let the critics and journalists and near-historians argue and discuss what's going on today. That's fine, but in what I do we actually need the perspective that the passage of time gives us."

8 hours ago, Noeller said:

Also yesterday I noticed that SNL took off the geo block for alot of their videos on youtube (I don't know if it's just for the election though) many classic sketches are now viewable, including the tv funhouses....this is one of my favourites. This was made at the height of Disney's straight to dvd boom 

Now if only Conan would take the geofence off his

Edited by iHeart