Bombers bringing Bisons' QB Yantz to TC

Jacquie

From the Bombers website:

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today are pleased to announce that University of Manitoba Bisons quarterback Jordan Yantz will participate in the club’s training camp.

Jordan Yantz, 24, completed a highly successful first year with the Bisons (fourth year eligibility) and was named as a Canada West conference all-star in 2013. The Regina native finished first in conference passing (fourth in CIS) with 2,474 and first in the whole CIS with 25 touchdown passes and threw for a 57.5 passing percentage (145-252). In addition, the 6’1”, 213 pound quarterback was also eighth in Canada West rushing with 396 yards, while starting in all eight games in the 2013 regular season, and two playoff games.

Yantz also participated in the East-West Bowl this month, a game that showcases some of the CIS’ best football players.

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/bombers-welcome-qb-yantz

Great he comes to camp to learn but why? He'll never get drafted. We all know that. Just seems like a waste with the way the CFL treats CIS qbs on draft day. To me, it's all lip service until the CFL changes its roster rules & starts drafting DESERVING Canadian qbs that have a legitimate shot to develop in the CFL. MY feeling is that if one qb every three or four years comes along & deserves a chance then he should be drafted. I don't think every CIS qb is good enough so I don't favour open drafting of all CIS qbs. I just want to see the guys that have the best shot to succeed given that chance & for the system to be fair. 

Great he comes to camp tolearn but why? He'll never get drafted. We all know that. Just seems like a waste with the way the CFL treats CIS qbs on draft day. To me, it's all lip service until the CFL starts drafting DESERVING Canadian qbs that have a legitimate shot to develop in the CFL. MY feeling is that if one qb every three or four years comes along & deserves a chance then he should be drafted. I don't think every CIS qbs are good enough so I don't favour open drafting of all CIS qbs. I just want to see the guys that have the best shot to succeed given that chance & for the system to be fair. 

There hasn't been a deserving QB since Brad Sinopoli, and even he wasn't good enough in the end.  Look at a guy like Kyle Quinlan, who dominated in CIS... he would get eaten alive in the CFL.  The QBs just aren't on the same level yet.

I think it is great that they bring him in.  It is win / win even if he never will get drafted.

You never have a shortage of QB arms at TC.  Having him throw some passes during TC relieves the stress on the arms of the other QBs.

And for Yantz, he gets the experience of a pro camp.

Talking potential here, Atomic. I think most young rookie qbs from the US thrown into a CFL game with no experience would get eaten alive as well. So, you draft a CIS qb on potential & try to develop him from there. That's what I think should be done. 

Talking potential here, Atomic. I think most young rookie qbs from the US thrown into a CFL game with no experience would get eaten alive as well. So, you draft a CIS qb on potential & try to develop him from there. That's what I think should be done. 

I don't disagree, but CIS QBs are just so far behind the Americans when they graduate.  Most of them have played half the number of games, and participated in a system that is nowhere near as comprehensive as the Americans, not to mention the lack of professional coaching.  Some may have potential, sure, but enough to warrant giving them a spot as a #3 QB on a CFL roster?  I don't know about that.  And if you go any lower, say #4 or #5 QB, then it is pretty hard to even get reps for them in practice.

I'd love to see more CIS QBs get a chance, but I don't think we're there yet.  Someday.

Huff said that he thought that Brad Sinopoli had all the intangibles to be a starting CFL qb when the Stamps drafted him. The one area that they were disappointed in & made them decide to switch him to receiver was his accuracy. It just wasn't there for him to develop further. 

I don't mean to read between the lines. But are one of our roster QB's a little banged up which might limit his training camp reps?

From an article from last year at the CFL website:

In an effort to further develop Canadian talent under centre, all eight CFL teams have opened their doors to Canadian pivots and will assist them in their techniques, practice habits and overall development prior to returning to school for the upcoming CIS season.

Yantz was actually at the Lions TC last season while Ben Rossong was at the Bombers TC.

I don't mean to read between the lines. But are one of our roster QB's a little banged up which might limit his training camp reps?

From an article from last year at the CFL website:

In an effort to further develop Canadian talent under centre, all eight CFL teams have opened their doors to Canadian pivots and will assist them in their techniques, practice habits and overall development prior to returning to school for the upcoming CIS season.

Yantz was actually at the Lions TC last season while Ben Rossong was at the Bombers TC.

Ok...I'll stop reading between the lines

I think Canuck QB's should be given every opportunity. I see no reason they can't catch up with a couple of years on the PR or 3rd string. I say this because I'm old enough to remember both Russ Jackson and Frank Cosentino starting at the same time for different teams.

http://scratchingpost.thespec.com/2012/04/milton-former-ticats-great-cosentino-says-deck-stacked-against-canuck-qbs.html

Unless the CFL has actual plans for these guys in the future (which they don't),  I just think bringing these players to camp is a colossal waste of time. By this time next year, all of their careers as qbs will be over. 

I don't think it's a complete waste of time... first of all, from what I saw from Yantz last year (I'll admit it was limited) he is a pretty skilled kid... skilled enough to play at the CFL level? maybe not.... but certainly good enough to learn a thing or two from some professional coaches and players and take it back to improve the bisons this season.... so if all he really gets is a chance to improve at the CIS level and help the Bisons that can still be a valuable experience for him.

I think I agree with most that some kind of QB development program for NI QBs would be nice to see...

Iso, I appreciate cynicism as much as the next guy, but for a change of pace, let's just be happy that a guy who had a stand-out CIS career gets a chance to practice with some pros. Just take a second and be happy for the guy.

Iso, I appreciate cynicism as much as the next guy, but for a change of pace, let's just be happy that a guy who had a stand-out CIS career gets a chance to practice with some pros. Just take a second and be happy for the guy.

Look at it this way, growing up the job of quarterback is typically given to the better athletes.  The Bombers get a free look at a great athlete.  Even if he never plays a down at that position in the CFL he might still play in the CFL.  The Bombers now get a few weeks to assess his talents, see where his attributes might fit in (receiver? safety?), get a sense of where his head is at and what his football IQ is and establish a relationship.  This will be far more useful than 15 minutes of talk time at the combine.  Nothing may come of this, but nothing bad will come of it.  Maybe they decide to use their 7th rounder on him next year because of what he shows here.