Bombers sign kicker Brett Maher

Mike

Deal signed, but unannounced.

Good signing by Walters, Maher had legit NFL interest. You may remember reading about him in the mini camp articles, he was the kicker that was quoted as being really impressed with the club and how they operated.

Good signing by Walters, Maher had legit NFL interest. You may remember reading about him in the mini camp articles, he was the kicker that was quoted as being really impressed with the club and how they operated.

Yes, I do recall that particular kicker and his interview.

I was wondering what did become of that workout and since they were pursuing other American kickers, I had assumed nothing became of it.

I believe he only does placekicking..but I could be wrong.

Either way, it's good we got the right Maher involved with the Bombers…not some rabble rouser.

I thought his numbers weren't very impressive? As an import they should be.

That's Jeff Sauer that you're thinking of, I believe. Sauer is the division 3 kicker that was in talks with Montreal and Winnipeg, he had pretty unimpressive numbers.

Maher is from the Nebraska Cornhusker program, he was a pretty decorated kicker there.

• Bakken-Andersen Big Ten co-Kicker of the Year (2012)
  • First-Team All-Big Ten Place-Kicker (Media, Phil Steele, 2012)
  • Second-Team All-Big Ten Place-Kicker (Coaches, 2012)
  • Second-Team All-Big Ten Punter (Coaches, 2012)
  • Third-Team All-Big Ten Punter (Phil Steele, 2012)
  • Honorable-Mention All-Big Ten Punter (Media, 2012)
  • Lou Groza Award Star of the Week (vs. Wisconsin, 2012)
  • Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week (vs. Wisconsin, vs. Michigan, vs. Penn State, 2012)
  • Nebraska Team Captain (2011, 2012)
  • Nebraska Special Teams MVP (2011, 2012)
  • First-Team All-America Kicker (Yahoo.com, 2011)
  • Honorable-Mention All-America Kicker (Sports Illustrated, 2011)
  • Touchdown Club of Columbus Vlade Award Winner (Nation's Most Accurate Kicker, 2011)
  • Bakken-Andersen Big Ten Kicker of the Year (2011)
  • Eddleman-Fields Big Ten Punter of the Year (2011)
  • First-Team All-Big Ten Punter (Coaches, Media, Yahoo.com, Phil Steele, 2011)
  • First-Team All-Big Ten Kicker (Coaches, Media, ESPN, Yahoo.com, Phil Steele, 2011)
  • Lou Groza Award Semifinalist (1 of 20, 2011)
  • Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week (vs. Chattanooga, Ohio State, Penn State, 2011)
  • Second-Team Academic All-Big 12 (2009)
  • Big 12 Commissioner's Spring Academic Honor Roll (2009)
  • Brook Berringer Citizenship Team (2012)

I checked out Maher's numbers and they aren't very good.  Made 20/27 FG's in 2012.  That's 74%.  Seems to good from beyond 50 yards though. 

It's all about context though. If you look at the breakdown, a lot of the kickers with higher percentages also get to stat pad by kicking a bunch of 20-29 yard field goals. Maher only had 6 attempts inside 30 yards because Nebraska usually scored inside the red zone.

I checked out Maher's numbers and they aren't very good.  Made 20/27 FG's in 2012.  That's 74%.  Seems to good from beyond 50 yards though. 

It's all about context though. If you look at the breakdown, a lot of the kickers with higher percentages also get to stat pad by kicking a bunch of 20-29 yard field goals. Maher only had 6 attempts inside 30 yards because Nebraska usually scored inside the red zone.

Good point.  He hit 10/10 at his NFL combine workout.

assuming Maher make it past TC and can do all 3 kicking jobs.

and designated to be the fulltime kicker and we burn a DI spot for him

should we carry another kicker (NI) as a backup on gameday roster ?

The whole point to having one guy do all 3 jobs is to free up a roster spot. So no.

The whole point to having one guy do all 3 jobs is to free up a roster spot. So no.

Problem here is if the guy gets injured during the game.  Then you have no kicker whatsoever.  Usually if a punter gets injured during the game, the FG kicker can punt, and vice-versa. 

Yes, I do recall that particular kicker and his interview.

I was wondering what did become of that workout and since they were pursuing other American kickers, I had assumed nothing became of it.

I believe he only does placekicking..but I could be wrong.

Either way, it's good we got the right Maher involved with the Bombers…not some rabble rouser.

At least his last name isn't 'Crapigna' who is profiled on the CFL official website. Don't know the guy, nothing against him, but what an unfortunate last name for a professional athlete, especially a kicker. It just writes itself when what to say when he's approaching the ball. Sorry, carry on.

I had high hopes for Liram Hijarujaluia. 

Had?

Edit: I'm sure the Bombers are still high on Liram.  They would much rather have two NIs (or one) doing the kicking than an american.  Basically Maher is going to have to be GREAT if he's going to be the guy.

im thinking the DI would be a all-in-1 kicker (Maher), a dedicated KR/PR (Wood or Tarver) and a 'Rover'?

and there's no point on keeping Renaud on the roster (46/IR/PR) if he can't backup Maher, correct?

im thinking the DI would be a all-in-1 kicker (Maher), a dedicated KR/PR (Wood or Tarver) and a 'Rover'?

Can't see them dedicating two DI spots to special teams, especially with how much Etch likes to rotate guys.

Problem here is if the guy gets injured during the game.  Then you have no kicker whatsoever.  Usually if a punter gets injured during the game, the FG kicker can punt, and vice-versa. 

Renaud can't placekick, so he's no benefit in that regard.  Remember a couple of years ago when a backup linebacker had to take over placekicking from Renauld b/c he was so terrible at it? He struggled just to hit a convert.

Also, it shouldn't be that hard to get reasonable punting from a roster player for part of one game.

Problem here is if the guy gets injured during the game. Then you have no kicker whatsoever. Usually if a punter gets injured during the game, the FG kicker can punt, and vice-versa.

Renaud can't placekick, so he's no benefit in that regard. Remember a couple of years ago when a backup linebacker had to take over placekicking from Renauld b/c he was so terrible at it? He struggled just to hit a convert.

Also, it shouldn't be that hard to get reasonable punting from a roster player for part of one game.

Should've never let Etienne go.

Can't see them dedicating two DI spots to special teams, especially with how much Etch likes to rotate guys.

But then you can point to O'Shea's emphasis on ST's. If we have one guy handling both jobs kicking and Wild as the longsnapper again, we'll have extra bodies available on D, they'll just have to be Canadian.

But then you can point to O'Shea's emphasis on ST's. If we have one guy handling both jobs kicking and Wild as the longsnapper again, we'll have extra bodies available on D, they'll just have to be Canadian.

True, it'd just be so unorthodox. Our Canadian depth scares me as it is. Our first rounder likely isn't going to contribute on D. I just don't know where those bodies would come from.

Rene Stephan might work until he gets injured in the first half of week 1

assuming our starting NIs are:

4 OLs (Greaves, new center, Penser, Neufeld)

2 Recs (Watson, Kohlert)

1 S (Alexander)

our backup NIs would look like

1 OL (eg. Morley)

2 Recs (eg. T.Gudino, Brescasin)

3 FB/RB (Volny, Pontbriand, Fitzgerald)

3 DLs (Thomas, Lucas, Richardson)

1 LB (eg. Stephan)

3 DB (eg. Newman, Muamba, Bucknor)

i think thats is not too bad for rotation especially in the D

lot of NIs to play special teams

the only black spot is in the LB so the other DI should be there

Things could change, but O'Shea told me that he plans on starting 3 NI's on the OL.

no problem still...

off Neufeld and in Jones to RT

move Alexander to CB and Newman to S

add another NI somewhere. (DB or LB)

lot of possibilities

im liking more this setup, i know there are some drop off from import to non-import talent

but if we are rotating more bodies maybe that will give our import starters some breather during the game