Bombers Add Two Import DBs

Atomic

http://www.bluebombers.com/article/bombers-add-two-import-dbs

Bombers Add Two Import DBs

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has added import defensive backs Don Unamba and Phillip Benning.

Unamba  (6-1, 192, Southern Arkansas, February 23, 1989, in Arlington, Texas)  had his most successful collegiate season in his senior year of 2012, when he finished fifth on the team with 47 tackles (37 solo), added three interceptions for 66 yards, while setting a school-record with 17 pass break-ups, in 11 starts. Unamba also blocked two punts in his final season at Southern Arkansas. He was signed as an undrafted free agent by the St. Louis Rams following the 2013 NFL Draft before being released on June 14th. Since then he moved on to another tryout with Buffalo but was released in August 2013.

Benning (6-0, 180, Texas State, January 1, 1991, in The Colony, Texas) played his college football at Texas State University. In 2012, Benning recorded 32 tackles and 3 passes defended for the Bobcats as a regular defender. As a junior in 2011, he recorded 15 tackles and three pass breakups. 

Lots of tall DBs...but tall DBs who can play are the rare commodity. Even rarer because the tall ones who can play are in the NFL. If we can find one that can maybe be coached up...that would be something.

6' DBs...have to assume they can't cover for ****, otherwise they'd be in The League......?

Their schools are also likely to be a factor for some teams in the NFL. Juran Bolden and Brandon Browner are two DB's who immediately come to mind that are tall who did quite well for themselves. 

Lotta new imports...gonna hopefully be a ton of competition in camp.

My guess is no position is safe. O'Shea has the advantage of coming in clean slate. Prove to me you deserve to be here mentality.

This is where we start to improve the culture of wanting to be, being proud to be, a Winnipeg Blue Bomber.

If that's not part of your mix, then you're not the right fit here.

6' DBs...have to assume they can't cover for ****, otherwise they'd be in The League......?

Their schools are also likely to be a factor for some teams in the NFL. Juran Bolden and Brandon Browner are two DB's who immediately come to mind that are tall who did quite well for themselves. 

I have no idea how Browner managed to become somebody in the NFL, I always felt he was terribly over rated in the CFL and if the refs were at all serious about calling PI he could have been flagged every play. 

I have no idea how Browner managed to become somebody in the NFL, I always felt he was terribly over rated in the CFL and if the refs were at all serious about calling PI he could have been flagged every play. 

If you ever watched the Seattle Seahawks play it would be evident very quick why he was somebody in the NFL. Now as it turns out, how much of that was aided by PED's we'll see this coming season with New England.

If you ever watched the Seattle Seahawks play it would be evident very quick why he was somebody in the NFL. Now as it turns out, how much of that was aided by PED's we'll see this coming season with New England.

well yeah but I'm not ever going to follow the NFL that closely, all I know is I was never that impressed by him in the CFL, thought he was just a guy who got away with a lot of penalties and got hype for being tall. 

Its easy. Its called... Wait for it.... Being wrong!

:D