Bombers sign QB Robert Marve (unannounced)

Mike

Kinda figured you knew him pretty well. You will quickly learn we have an extremely passionate fan base here and are very championship Hungary (it's been a while)

Is that similar to championship Austria or Romania?

Nope...  it's quite close to Championship Turkey, Championship Greece and Championship Norway.

Wait, are we talking about potential places that flight MH370 landed now?

Well his competition is a guy who had several starts in the NFL and a guy who was highly touted and compared to Aaron Rodgers... He will have to have a lights out training camp to see the field this year.

with a bum knee and cannon arm he could be a Dieter Brock clone, which means all we have to do is trade him to Hamilton and the cup is ours.

Come up here with the right attitude, soak it all in and listen and learn there is a chance.  Come up here thinking you are going to dominate with athletic ability you will soon learn there are some very good football players up here and some great teams.

The boneyard is littered with Q.B.'s who come up here thinking it will be pretty easy, it's not. 

I'm so excited for Robert to get this opportunity and I will not pretend to know a whole heck of a lot about the CFL but believe I will soon. Robert has a cannon for an arm and he is a fierce competitor. Don't believe the negative publicity surrounding his time at the U. Trust me when I say that...there are two sides to every story and I'll leave it at that. Winnipeg football fans....get ready for some zip on that ball and some long and accurate passes down the field.This is going to be fun. Please believe it.

Guess I'll be "that guy"...... Umm welcome to the board. How is it you know of Rob and why do you feel he will have a great CFL career?

Thanks for the welcome. I've known Robert since he was in middle school. Extended family...brother in law. He's a good kid and is so very focused and talented. I won't pretend to know much about the CFL rules and the game in general but from what I've seen, it's a pass oriented league and the QB should have a strong arm and good mobility which are both strengths for Robert. How's the Offensive line in Winnipeg? Receivers? RB's?

Kinda figured you knew him pretty well. You will quickly learn we have an extremely passionate fan base here and are very championship Hungary (it's been a while) This makes the majority of us grumpy and a little on edge sometimes when we have someone come in and start talking up someone we don't know as the next best thing. No offence to you and Robert. We have had plenty of players come through our league that just fizzle out or leave during training camp due too many different reasons especially QBs. This is why we are usually pretty sceptical about a new guy. If Robert is committed and passionate about football he will fit in here quite quickly. I wish him the best if he makes it through mini camp and into camp. Winnipeg is a fun place to play football.

How is our Oline?...let's just say it's a work in progress.

RB...we have had pretty solid RBs as far back as I can remember and not a possiision to worry about.

Nothing wrong with a family member pumping another family members tires here. On CFL Horsemen, Eric Fraser's sister who went by the handle kkpfrase would attack anyone who said anything negative about her brother. It got pretty funny at times, especially when Stamps fans on that board would say Eric sucked in coverage after a game as she'd lose her mind. Now she's on the Ottawa fan board. That'll get interesting. I once told her going to war with every fan who criticized her brother was not very smart. And that maybe Eric didn't appreciate the fact that she did. I just told her she should either stay away from CFL H or just relax. But I know it would be hard... If I had family in the CFL, I'd disappear from here as I'd know I'd end up saying something I shouldn't & later regret it. 

I just don't know why family or friends of players who can't handle criticism of their friend/relative even show up to places like this. Gotta understand how fans are and if you're not prepared to ignore the stuff that gets said you're in for a bad time. 

I'm so excited for Robert to get this opportunity and I will not pretend to know a whole heck of a lot about the CFL but believe I will soon. Robert has a cannon for an arm and he is a fierce competitor. Don't believe the negative publicity surrounding his time at the U. Trust me when I say that...there are two sides to every story and I'll leave it at that. Winnipeg football fans....get ready for some zip on that ball and some long and accurate passes down the field.This is going to be fun. Please believe it.

Guess I'll be "that guy"...... Umm welcome to the board. How is it you know of Rob and why do you feel he will have a great CFL career?

Thanks for the welcome. I've known Robert since he was in middle school. Extended family...brother in law. He's a good kid and is so very focused and talented. I won't pretend to know much about the CFL rules and the game in general but from what I've seen, it's a pass oriented league and the QB should have a strong arm and good mobility which are both strengths for Robert. How's the Offensive line in Winnipeg? Receivers? RB's?

Kinda figured you knew him pretty well. You will quickly learn we have an extremely passionate fan base here and are very championship Hungary (it's been a while) This makes the majority of us grumpy and a little on edge sometimes when we have someone come in and start talking up someone we don't know as the next best thing. No offence to you and Robert. We have had plenty of players come through our league that just fizzle out or leave during training camp due too many different reasons especially QBs. This is why we are usually pretty sceptical about a new guy. If Robert is committed and passionate about football he will fit in here quite quickly. I wish him the best if he makes it through mini camp and into camp. Winnipeg is a fun place to play football.

How is our Oline?...let's just say it's a work in progress.

RB...we have had pretty solid RBs as far back as I can remember and not a possiision to worry about.

Nothing wrong with a family member pumping another family members tires here. On CFL Horsemen, Eric Fraser's sister who went by the handle kkpfrase would attack anyone who said anything negative about her brother. It got pretty funny at times, especially when Stamps fans on that board would say Eric sucked in coverage after a game as she'd lose her mind. Now she's on the Ottawa fan board. That'll get interesting. I once told her going to war with every fan who criticized her brother was not very smart. And that maybe Eric didn't appreciate the fact that she did. I just told her she should either stay away from CFL H or just relax. But I know it would be hard... If I had family in the CFL, I'd disappear from here as I'd know I'd end up saying something I shouldn't & later regret it. 

I just don't know why family or friends of players who can't handle criticism of their friend/relative even show up to places like this. Gotta understand how fans are and if you're not prepared to ignore the stuff that gets said you're in for a bad time. 

Chris Bauman's sister would often lose her **** on me on Twitter whenever I said he was a bust. It was quite humorous considering she wasn't one of my followers. Must have been doing searches I guess after every game online trying to defend him.

kkpfrase was really upset on CFL H more than a few times because her brother is just an okay safety. He's nothing special. He gets beat a lot. He overcommits & then can't react in time. Ottawa is going to get torched deep a lot with him back there. Now if I said that when he was with the Stamps she'd have been all over me with anger but it was a well known fact.

Kinda figured you knew him pretty well. You will quickly learn we have an extremely passionate fan base here and are very championship Hungary (it's been a while)

Is that similar to championship Austria or Romania?

*grumble* *grumble* stupid autocorrect....

LOL and here I thought you were drawing a subtle analogy between the Bombers and the Golden Team, Hungary's National Football team of the 1950's:

The team inflicted notable defeats on then-footballing world powers England, Uruguay and the Soviet Union, before the 1956 Hungarian Revolution caused the breakup of the side.

Between 1950 and 1956, the team recorded 42 victories, 7 draws and just one defeat, in the 1954 World Cup final against West Germany. Under the Elo rating system they achieved the highest rating so far recorded by a national side (2166 points, June 1954).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Team

More recently, though, like the Bombers, Hungary's current team has been a flop.

Indecision. This one word brings about many other words in uneasiness, anxiety and distrust. For those surrounding Robert Marve, it would appear these words are commonplace.

A graduate of Henry B. Plant High School in Tampa, Florida, Marve committed to the University of Alabama. The potential recruit for the Crimson Tide could have changed their entire approach to the offensive side of the sport; Marve broke and reset several single season passing records for the state of Florida his senior year.

Indecision struck. Marve changed his commitment to the University of Miami. The speculation behind this move pointed to Marve being closer to home, playing for a national powerhouse—a team with rich NFL transitioning history.

Marve was red-shirted by first year coach Randy Shannon because of a broken arm suffered in a car accident. Kirby Freeman was given the nod as starter. The car accident seemed not to be Marve's fault; he was a passenger, not the driver.

Shannon, Marve and the rest of the country would have to wait until the following season to see Marve's debut with the Canes.

Uneasiness looms. Marve was suspended for the 2008 season opener against Charleston Southern. Shannon suspended Marve for attempting to evade police after he broke a car mirror. Robert's father Eugene approached the Miami Herald to announce that "Robert is upset. Robert’s family is upset".

This minor move by Robert's father dawned new light on the past issue of Marve originally transferring from Alabama. A player who commits to a university, only to change his decision weeks later seems more suspicious if his father appears to run his life.

Anyone in the college football world would feel Marve's suspension against Charleston Southern (an FCS school) is simply a PR move, rather than punishment for Marve. Again, this was Shannon's first season at the helm.

So for Eugene Marve to take such a large leap forward, instead of letting the coaching staff at Miami deal with the issue, is notable.

Robert played out the remainder of the 2008 season, going 6-5 as the starter, with 9 touchdown passes accompanied by 13 interceptions. He was suspended for the Emerald Bowl against the California Golden Bears for academic reasons.

Anxiety advances. Through the mass of speculation about the once national power Miami Hurricanes dropping off their pedestal, to the new hiring of Randy Shannon, Marve was caught in the thick of things. His play seemed sufficient for a first year starter in the ACC, especially as a red-shirt freshman.

But his off-field issues were dominant. From making mistakes with the wrong social groups, to academic problems, to family issues surrounding his father, Marve brought a lot of negative attention and anxiety to the Hurricanes football program.

Within two weeks of the Canes bowl game against California, Marve announced his volition to transfer from the University of Miami. This move was subject to much meditation about Marve's play, Miami's recruiting, Eugene Marve, and the relationship between Robert and Randy Shannon.

Rumors flew stating Marve as possessing attitude problems. Marve had also been benched several times during the 2008 season. Despite these claims, there was a lot of interest displayed in Marve.

He allegedly attracted the likes of Florida, Tennessee, LSU, South Florida, Arizona State, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Purdue, Syracuse and Oklahoma State.

Distrust reigns supreme. Known to the public, Eugene Marve had been overshadowing his son for the past two years. The elder Marve had often appeared to be living vicariously through his son, giving releases to different media outlets and apparently choosing Robert's source of education and athletics.

With the Marves' statement of transferring, the University of Miami and Randy Shannon were prepared to place restrictions on Robert's landing with a team. Eugene Marve was quick to act in declaring that he was ready to fight those conditions set by Miami and Shannon. (The conditions were that Marve could not attend any SEC or ACC schools, nor any in-state program).

Soon after Miami's release of restrictions on where Marve could potentially play football, it was released that Eugene Marve had a serious illness. This illness was so serious, that Eugene Marve resonated that he wanted his son close to home, which fittingly went directly against the restrictions set by the University.

Many viewed Eugene Marve's actions as ones of high hopes to get Robert into either Urban Meyer's program at UF, the University of Tennessee or LSU. One would think Eugene Marve was serious when he asserted he wanted Robert close to home... but their acceptance of interest of schools located in the Midwest and on the west coast would prove otherwise.

Eugene Marve fielded curiosity from UCLA, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Michigan and Arizona State, as well as Syracuse and Purdue.

A story such as Marve's often materializes into an idea rather than substance. The college football world found themselves pondering Marve's situation daily, but without any solid reasons. He was a sub par quarterback with no real feel-good story behind him.

Why was it that nearly every college football analyst had succumbed to Marve's status? Was it his boisterous, pressing father? His high school production in the rear view mirror?

Come mid-May of this year, Marve had narrowed down his options to a scholarship at Purdue or a walk-on role at Tennessee.

Without doubt, Eugene Marve had to be somewhat upset. His son could accept a scholarship to a program that had seen recent great collegiate quarterbacks in Drew Brees and Kyle Orton, but was on a steady decline. Or he could attempt to earn a spot, let alone start, as a Volunteer at Tennessee.

Purdue seemed to be the better option: the program had a decent competitor in Curtis Painter, but their recruiting was too horrific to field any sort of surrounding talent. Marve could suffer in two years, or Danny Hope could use his signing to better their recruiting while Marve sat out due to NCAA regulations.

On May 20, 2009, Marve released that he would transfer to Purdue.

Surely, Marve's story is not dead; the Marve's carry a lot of baggage with them. Although Robert may go into hibernation until next April, he will be very much a part of Purdue's program. Boilermaker fans are just hoping Eugene Marve will not be.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/189530-the-enigma-that-is-robert-marve

That article is terribly written. What a bizarre writing style.