Collaros to test free agency

gbill2004

The fine is a joke but the teams don't like it when it happens to them. It's our photo happy, smiling moron of a Commissioner & the BOG's who make our league out to be the joke that it is sometimes. And you said everybody does it. C'mon UP, you make a generalization of a statement but can't give me examples of every team tampering as it hasn't happened. SOME teams have, not all.

How do you know not all teams tamper?

You are assuming that everyone who tampers gets caught, which simply isn't the case.

The fine is a joke but the teams don't like it when it happens to them. It's our photo happy, smiling moron of a Commissioner & the BOG's who make our league out to be the joke that it is sometimes. And you said everybody does it. C'mon UP, you make a generalization of a statement but can't give me examples of every team tampering as it hasn't happened. SOME teams have, not all.

You are assuming that everyone who tampers gets caught, which simply isn't the case.

Alright, I'll turn this around & ask you.... How do you know all teams DO tamper? 

Alright, I'll turn this around & ask you.... How do you know all teams DO tamper?

I don't. I assume they all do. If the fine is only $5000, you'd be stupid not to tamper, at least with key FAs you are targeting.

Milt Stegall was rumored to be the Bombers "liaison" with free agents, to encourage them to sign with the Bombers once they became a free agent.

I don't. I assume they all do. If the fine is only $5000, you'd be stupid not to tamper, at least with key FAs you are targeting.

Milt Stegall was rumored to be the Bombers "liaison" with free agents, to encourage them to sign with the Bombers once they became a free agent.

Okay, but there you go again... Stegall was "rumoured"not proven to be a liason. As with Stegall, you can't say definetly that teams tamper, then don't say they do like the Unknown Poster did as it can't be proven. Truth is, you may be right, I may be wrong or vice versa, I may be right & you wrong. All I know is that if we tamper & sign Collaros & then we lose Muamba to a CFL team in the same way, then we have no right to ***** & complain. And the CFL is nothing but a joke & total **** up as a business. 

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but you have to back up statements like "Everybody tampers" or "Milt Stegal was rumoured". I can make a statement like Joe Mack was rumoured to waiting with a Half mill a year contract to sign Mike Reilly had he become a free agent. When in reality, I just made that **** up.

Okay, but there you go again... Stegall was "rumoured"not proven to be a liason. As with Stegall, you can't say definetly that teams tamper, then don't say they do like the Unknown Poster did as it can't be proven. Truth is, you may be right, I may be wrong or vice versa, I may be right & you wrong. All I know is that if we tamper & sign Collaros & then we lose Muamba to a CFL team in the same way, then we have no right to ***** & complain. And the CFL is nothing but a joke & total **** up as a business.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time but you have to back up statements like "Everybody tampers" or "Milt Stegal was rumoured". I can make a statement like Joe Mack was rumoured to waiting with a Half mill a year contract to sign Mike Reilly had he become a free agent. When in reality, I just made that **** up.

I'm still waiting for your published report from a credible source stating that some teams tamper and some don't ;)

Does anyone truly believe that Mike O'Shea hasn't spoken with Collaros since he became the Bombers head coach? I know its technically "tampering", but to be honest, I'd be concerned if he hasn't.

I'd be concerned as tampering is a pretty serious thing to do. Would we like it if say Henoc Muamba goes to the Argos after his NFL aspirations fell flat & we found out Barker had discussions with him before Feb.15th?

Serious? Last team found guilty of tampering was fined $5000.
Actually the last team found guilty of tampering was fined $10,000. Edmonton was fined that last season.

Does anyone truly believe that Mike O'Shea hasn't spoken with Collaros since he became the Bombers head coach? I know its technically "tampering", but to be honest, I'd be concerned if he hasn't.

I'd be concerned as tampering is a pretty serious thing to do. Would we like it if say Henoc Muamba goes to the Argos after his NFL aspirations fell flat & we found out Barker had discussions with him before Feb.15th?
Serious? Last team found guilty of tampering was fined $5000.
Actually the last team found guilty of tampering was fined $10,000. Edmonton was fined that last season.

Only because Ed Hervey was stupid enough to announce the Odell Willis signing at 12:01.

Interesting statement? " all teams tamper we just don't hear about it" nothing like contradicting yourself. Tamper all you want nothing actually gets done before it can be registered after the deadline. So put all your cards out there now so someone else can out bid you. Might not be the best strategy

Please explain how I contradicted myself.

I dunno that it's like that at all, just gotta remember back to when Barrin Simpson was a FA and everyone knew that the Bombers were going to try and sign him, Stegall being buddies with Simpson had to tell the Bombers management to start bloody tampering cause everyone else had already started talking to the guy. It's just the way business is done in the CFL. 

The fine is a joke but the teams don't like it when it happens to them. It's our photo happy, smiling moron of a Commissioner & the BOG's who make our league out to be the joke that it is sometimes. And you said everybody does it. C'mon UP, you make a sweeping generalization of a statement but can't give me examples of every team tampering as it hasn't happened. SOME teams have, not all.

As far a fines for teams who do tamper, I'd like to see some real teeth put into the fines... Like $100,000 fine & a loss of a draft pick to make sure it never happens.

The bombers tampered with Barron Simpson. Signed him one second into free agency. Obviously spoke to him before his contract expired. It happens.

The fine is a joke but the teams don't like it when it happens to them. It's our photo happy, smiling moron of a Commissioner & the BOG's who make our league out to be the joke that it is sometimes. And you said everybody does it. C'mon UP, you make a sweeping generalization of a statement but can't give me examples of every team tampering as it hasn't happened. SOME teams have, not all.

As far a fines for teams who do tamper, I'd like to see some real teeth put into the fines... Like $100,000 fine & a loss of a draft pick to make sure it never happens.

The bombers tampered with Barron Simpson. Signed him one second into free agency. Obviously spoke to him before his contract expired. It happens.

No need to exaggerate the time frame to try to make a point. 

Penton wrote this last year:

Taman, who is now the Saskatchewan Roughriders GM, laid out several reasons why he doesn't feel overly guilty about the Simpson situation from seven years ago. For starters, he said he actually saw a contract offer to Simpson from another team before Feb. 15, the day free agency began.

Secondly, Simpson was essentially a free agent already. Lions GM Wally Buono had already told Simpson that he wasn't going to be offered a contract to stay in B.C., which is probably why there was a contract offer from another team already on the table.

In addition, Simpson, who wasn't represented by an agent, wanted to play in Winnipeg and initiated the process. He paid for his own flight to Winnipeg the night before free agency began, and another CFL team called him as soon as he landed --before the window opened.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/08/odell-willis-eskimos-tampering-case-has-a-similar-feel-to-the-barrin-simpson-signing-in-2006

http://ht.ly/t1hFp

It was a year ago this week that the Edmonton Eskimos traded for Mike Reilly to get exclusive negotiating rights with the quarterback two weeks before he was set to become a free agent.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers might want to do the same with Zach Collaros if they really desire his services, because there are rumblings in the CFL right now that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats could be a destination for the Toronto Argonauts backup.

The Bombers are the only team without a bona fide No. 1 quarterback right now, so the thinking is Collaros, who sources say is looking at Gil Scott or Dan Vertlieb to represent him in his upcoming negotiations, will head to Winnipeg on Feb. 15.

Not so fast, as it appears the Hamilton Tiger-Cats will figure significantly into what happens with Winnipeg's quarterback situation -- for two reasons.

First of all, there are more than a few people throughout the CFL who think veteran Henry Burris will end up signing in Winnipeg when he becomes a free agent on Feb. 15.

"Three people told me today they think Burris will end up in Winnipeg over the Ticats," a CFL source told the Sun.

Burris wouldn't exactly be a long-term answer for the Blue and Gold, as he will turn 39 years old during the first week of training camp, but he would give the reeling franchise an instant upgrade and be an excellent mentor for the team's young pivots.

The second factor in all of this is the Ticats are apparently very interested in bringing Collaros to Steeltown. They have not made any offers to Burris, and a source said the Ticats are hoping Collaros hears about their interest through the league grapevine. The Tabbies also have Dan LeFevour and Jeremiah Masoli in the fold, so Collaros could conceivably have a shot at the No. 1 gig there with Burris out of the picture.

Sources say the Bombers aren't convinced Collaros is a sure-fire No. 1 gun given his limited starting experience and wouldn't mind having a more experienced pivot on the roster to go along with him.

The way it's looking now, they might end up getting the experienced quarterback instead of Collaros.

No need to exaggerate the time frame to try to make a point. 

Penton wrote this last year:

Taman, who is now the Saskatchewan Roughriders GM, laid out several reasons why he doesn't feel overly guilty about the Simpson situation from seven years ago. For starters, he said he actually saw a contract offer to Simpson from another team before Feb. 15, the day free agency began.

Secondly, Simpson was essentially a free agent already. Lions GM Wally Buono had already told Simpson that he wasn't going to be offered a contract to stay in B.C., which is probably why there was a contract offer from another team already on the table.

In addition, Simpson, who wasn't represented by an agent, wanted to play in Winnipeg and initiated the process. He paid for his own flight to Winnipeg the night before free agency began, and another CFL team called him as soon as he landed --before the window opened.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/08/odell-willis-eskimos-tampering-case-has-a-similar-feel-to-the-barrin-simpson-signing-in-2006

Its still tampering.  Just because someone else tampered first and Simpson wanted to play here doesnt mean its not tampering.  Everyone tampers in the CFL.  Point made.  Thank you.

What was that spat you got into with Mike a couple of months ago... "I don't want to be an internet detective just to talk to you Mike."

You're not going to prove tampering is rampant in the CFL.  For any GM's to admit it would be tantamount to getting fined, likely fired, and likely not finding another job in the CFL.  Whether or not GM's admit it is completely irrelevant... the bottom line is that contracts get filed within minutes of FA opening.  There's no need to go "internet detectiving" for something that doesn't exist.  You can't tell me that a normal, profit-optimizing agent would advise his client to accept an offer minutes into free agency; when all 8 teams have FA money to spend, and there is the potential they would call and get into a bidding war. 

But those contracts get filed minutes and even a couple of hours into FA.  It's because market value has already been gauged.  That gets done somehow... and there's no way to do it without talking to the CFL clubs.