Scouting report on Zach Collaros

gbill2004

Interesting scouting report I found from 2011 when Collaros was coming out of College - thought I'd share:

Zach Collaros: No. 12 (6-0, 223)
A shorter, undersized quarterback prospect who seems to struggle to see over the line of scrimmage at times and routinely gets a number of his passes knocked down at the line. Plays mostly from the gun and does a good job with his pre-snap reads understanding the defense, locating his target and getting the ball out quickly. Stays compact with his footwork and his release is much quicker underneath. Possesses good touch and accuracy down the field, drops the football into tight areas and is very comfortable completing bucket throws down the field. However, the further down the field he’s asked to throw, the more of a wind-up he gets with his release and then he really needs to step up into throws in order to generate enough momentum for himself to get passes vertically.

Possesses a good feel in the pocket, and is a natural athlete who not only can buy time for himself but create with his legs. Is a “plus” runner for the position in the open field, has some wiggle to his game with the strength to bounce off a tackle and keep churning his legs. However, relies too much on his legs at times and his eye level has a tendency to drop too quickly. He’s at his best when asked to improvise, however, looks to create on his own too often. If his pre-snap read isn’t on, he has a really tough time going through his progressions from the pocket. Is limited to more of a one side-of-the-field, read-only guy who routinely looks to take off and run if nothing is on. Will hang in the pocket and stare down the barrel of the shotgun in order to deliver the throw. However, doesn’t stay real balanced with his footwork. He trusts his accuracy and touch and routinely will fall off throws or not set/reset his feet into a throw. Can create some plays out of nothing, but too often causes his accuracy to run hot/cold. Lacks a big time arm, spins a clean football, but doesn’t have the natural arm strength to really drive the ball outside the numbers.

Had to appear in court as a sophomore for being caught with a fake ID.

Impression: Looks more like an ideal CFL type quarterback where his athleticism and ability to improvise will serve him well. Lacks ideal arm strength, size and coming from a spread, his learning curve looks to be too severe to make an NFL roster.

Footwork concerns is one of the issues I have with him especially under pressure. Coupled that with our offensive line, and I admit I am a little bit nervous as to how well Collaros would really fit in here.

It's one of my concerns as well ..

Without adequate support in place for a guy like Collaros .. (protection, coaching and a solid supporting staff) .. how high is his ceiling here?  Will he simply be another guy we run out of town because the organization isn't committed to putting our QBs in the best position to succeed.

Willy seems to be much more polished under pressure. Things like footwork aren't as easily correctable as reading a defence, knowing when to audible, what to audible to, etc.

Jay Cutler had some terrible footwork and Marc Trestman made huge improvements to that in Bears training camp this season.

Willy seems to be much more polished under pressure. Things like footwork aren't as easily correctable as reading a defence, knowing when to audible, what to audible to, etc.

Jay Cutler had some terrible footwork and Marc Trestman made huge improvements to that in Bears training camp this season.

They also went out and addressed the offensive line this offseason a well.  Through 15 games last season , the Bears had given up 56 sacks .. going into last night they'd only given up 24.  When you have time to set up, those fundamentals don't slide nearly as much .. I only make this note because it's an area where the Bombers also need to improve ..protecting the QB

They also went out and addressed the offensive line this offseason a well.  Through 15 games last season , the Bears had given up 56 sacks .. going into last night they'd only given up 24.  When you have time to set up, those fundamentals don't slide nearly as much .. I only make this note because it's an area where the Bombers also need to improve ..protecting the QB

BINGO! The footwook issues will only magnify behind a more porous offensive line.

I must admit, the greater the time goes without signing a QB, the more I think that Willy would be the better choice.

Fortunately, I don't have to make that decision. 

And what a huge decision for our team to make. I must think this is one of those decisions that the entire staff will be involved with.

GM Walters, HC O'Shea and OC Marcel B

While the plan to acquire a QB must have been in the works for awhile, each time a new component was added, (HC, OC) I'm sure the names involved must have been re-worked.

With this off season already being one of the most active to date, I can't wait to see who finally lines up under centre.

It doesn't really matter who it is, just the hope that it won't be a dead end yet again.