The Last Trading Day

BigBlue

The trading deadline prior to the Ottawa expansion draft is upon us.

Obviously by design or not everyone has waited for the last minute to wheel and deal.

Does Walters give up draft picks to get proven Canadians or a QB?

Is there a QB sweepstakes prize for a Calgary QB …. or does Huffer choose to loose 1 QB and keep 2? Is he happy to keep 2 extra Canadians instead off what must be an expensive 3rd QB?

Is this a time to trade for a Canadian lineman or a NI safety for middle round draft pocks?

Is there anybody good enough to give up our first rounder?

Will we have any bidding wars develop?

Opportunity is knocking ….. what should we do? 

Not much of a surprise to me, to be honest.

Trades are so rare in the CFL to begin with and they usually wind up being for 2nd round picks or whatever. Not sure those kinds of return are worth it now. Lose a player you can protect more right? So that extra protection likely has more value than what you're get in return. 

The CFL teams have already gamed the spirit and intent of the expansion draft by not resigning most of their Free Agents … so Ottawa is losing out big time

Do you think the Commish is coming back at them with "moral-suasion" to even things up? The complete lack of activity prior to the trade deadline suggests this…. its just contrary to a GMs nature to not optimize before a deadline.

Does this seem right or am I just howling in the wind here?

Chimp howling into the wind here:

How is it not one trade took place before the expansion draft?

I gotta believe that all teams have/had their own strategy in protecting what they have and projecting what they can do after the draft.

I expect that even though a team had an idea for a trade to at least come even in assets, they couldn't convince another team to alter their strategy.

I mean, why would you want to help say, Toronto, benefit with an extra NI O-lineman, when Ottawa could take one of theirs and not one of yours.

That, the uncertainty of NFL try-outs, and FAs and lots of movement in the coaching ranks, all could have had some effect on the thinking of GMs, I would surmise.