Who the heck is Ted Goveia?

Most teams? Do you mean Montreal?

Most teams have 3-4 (we now have 4) football ops guys on staff with a Rolodex of scouts who aren't officially employed by the team.

I don't even think Montreal has a massive amount of scouts anymore, I think it's just a scout and a super scout or something like that.

The second part is what I was trying to bring up, under Mack it seemed as though all there was in terms of scouting was Mack, Walters, Moll and Moll's assistant I believe. During the NFL camps I seem to recall some of our media bringing up how the Bombers were barely visible compared to other teams.

Is Morris the 4th ?

Some teams use FA camps as a cash grab too. Some poor kids with little or no coin shell out $100 for a tee shirt and a chance to run a 40. 150 kids at a workout not sure that qualifies as a fair look. Multiply that by going to 5 or 6 workouts and it is tough on the wallet. Mack and Moll ran pre scouted workouts by invitation only. They didn't charge and brought or invited players they were really interested in. Quantity does not necessarily equate to quality in terms of the number of scouts or the number of workouts.

The Stamps run 5 or 6 camps like that all over the US & have found a number of very good players that way. They weren't invitational. Anyone can come which opens it up to a lot more players. That is the difference between the Stamps & Bombers. I know the Lions have the same set up as the Stamps for free agent camps as well. No invitations. Yeah, the players pay but so what? If they want to be pro football players it costs money for the fringe players. Costs money to become a civil engineer or a teacher, too. Be interesting to see what the Bomber scouting dept do  now...

The Stamps run 5 or 6 camps like that all over the US & have found a number of very good players that way. They weren't invitational. Anyone can come which opens it up to a lot more players. That is the difference between the Stamps & Bombers. I know the Lions have the same set up as the Stamps for free agent camps as well. No invitations. Yeah, the players pay but so what? If they want to be pro football players it costs money for the fringe players. Costs money to become a civil engineer or a teacher, too. Be interesting to see what the Bomber scouting dept do  now...

There are arguments both ways...

invitational camps means you don't up wasting any time on guys who show up and have absolutely no chance of peaking your interest whatsoever (since you want to look at everyone coming)

non-invitational camps have a lot more faces (some of whom shouldn't have paid the money to show up and are a waste of your time) and you can sometimes see someone whom you never heard of but impress enough to take a second look.

The Stamps run 5 or 6 camps like that all over the US & have found a number of very good players that way. They weren't invitational. Anyone can come which opens it up to a lot more players. That is the difference between the Stamps & Bombers.

yeah THAT is the difference... come on man, stamps have an established qb and a top notch coaching staff, Bombers had broken Buck Pierce and a bunch of lame duck coaches but it's the difference in how they ran free agent camps that seperated them. Seriously you gotta get off this blind hatred for Joe Mack and start looking at things more objectively. 

Every team is running targeted camps where they make contact with agents and invite players or agents suggest players to them.  Some teams allow guys they haven't invited to show up too, but nobody is running purely free-for-all free agent camps.  I think you'd have a tough time naming more than a couple players who just wandered into a free agent camp completely unknown and unsolicited and ended up making a CFL team recently.

Invitation only means you don't get any 50 year old wannabes showing up at them like happened at a FA camp the Riders had a couple years ago.

So, one guy in how many camps from different teams? He was gone in half an hour from what I read. I know the Stamps have found most of their players this way. They have camps in the US SE,SW, a couple in California & Florida. The best players from each camp get invited back to the last camp they hold where they offer the best players contracts. That is how I was told the Stamps do it.  .

Walters with Goveia and McManus under him actually sounds pretty studly to me.

Shaping up to be an impressive sounding staff over there. Difficult to argue that both of those two recent adds haven't been adding promising prospects and players the last few seasons down here in Southern Ontario.

Shaping up to be an impressive sounding staff over there. Difficult to argue that both of those two recent adds haven't been adding promising prospects and players the last few seasons down here in Southern Ontario.

The Argos are getting raped in management & coaching, Bluto. Collaros will be gone.... Might be a challenging season next year.

Invitation only means you don't get any 50 year old wannabes showing up at them like happened at a FA camp the Riders had a couple years ago.

So, one guy in how many camps from different teams? He was gone in half an hour from what I read. I know the Stamps have found most of their players this way. They have camps in the US SE,SW, a couple in California & Florida. The best players from each camp get invited back to the last camp they hold where they offer the best players contracts. That is how I was told the Stamps do it. .

I meant it as a joke. Couldn't get the smilies in the post because the bus kept running over snow ruts while I was posting.

Note: I have added the smilies.

So, one guy in how many camps from different teams? He was gone in half an hour from what I read. I know the Stamps have found most of their players this way. They have camps in the US SE,SW, a couple in California & Florida. The best players from each camp get invited back to the last camp they hold where they offer the best players contracts. That is how I was told the Stamps do it.  .

I meant it as a joke. Couldn't get the smilie in the post because the bus kept running over snow ruts while I was posting.

Thanks for clarifying...

So, one guy in how many camps from different teams? He was gone in half an hour from what I read. I know the Stamps have found most of their players this way. They have camps in the US SE,SW, a couple in California & Florida. The best players from each camp get invited back to the last camp they hold where they offer the best players contracts. That is how I was told the Stamps do it. .

Sure but you make it sound like these are just neighborhood walk on tryouts with no invitations sent out.

The only difference in how Calgary did it and how we did it with Mack is that Calgary allows walk ons in addition to those who were invited.

I'm sure the Stamps invited players to those early camps but from what I understand if you pay your hundred bucks you could even go if you wanted, Mike. These are supposed to be open tryouts. They apparently advertise the camps but I am sure that player agents everywhere know these camps as well. My son went to a private qb camp in Oakland last summer & the free agent talent at receiver there available  that that helped out looking for work was unreal. they all came because the qb coach running the camp for college level qbs was a former Pac 12 head coach. One guy used to be on the PR of the Green Bay Packers. Another guy was an AFL receiver. So much talent it is crazy!.That is why CFL teams run these FA camps because so many players who could play  in the CFL are out there unemployed.

The Argos are getting raped in management & coaching, Bluto. Collaros will be gone.... Might be a challenging season next year.

All of this doesn't matter when you have Ricky Ray!