Is Talent the Problem

Floyd

Well, obviously, I have entered full procrastination mode... but anyway, Burke is always calling out the talent on the team as we all know.  So just thought i would actually take a look.

DBs - last year, Sears and Stewart were considered lock down corners - BStew has had a terrible season.  Suber has had some great games and some not so much, JJ looks like he should stay at Safety.  Washington hand-picked by Burke.  McGee, Smith, West, Cauchy equals worst depth in the league.

Problem:  Coaching, mgmt

LBs - Labbe still getting major playing time, no depth, Wild and Henoc are keepers.  Dunn is a Burke favourite.

Problem: Talent, mgmt

DL - Everyone looks pretty good, nice depth - could upgrade Mainor and Thomas (?) - import DL easy to find

Problem:  none

OL - January and Jones are good.  Everyone else can go.  CK still kicking around, Sorenson by far the weakest link.  Prospects developing slow

Problem:  Talent, coaching

QB - Nothing to see here.

Problem:  Talent, mgmt, coaching

REC - Actually a decent crop especially if Matthews was healthy.  Cdn talent is actually kind of below average despite all the bodies.  Hard to get a rhythm with 90 different QBs

RB - Hard to say, our running team doesn't run the ball much.  Some games Simpson and Ford look great, sometimes they look like bums.

Problem:  Coaching

ST - Kicking is inconsistent

Problem:  Bombers are cursed.

ST - Some of my favourites have now been here too long, nothing standing out

Problem:  Mgmt

I guess its just repeating the obvious...

"The reason I would state my case is because I believe the team has competed hard every week. I believe we have put forth the energy necessary to be a competitive football team. Nobody’s ever given up — we’re just not good enough."

After Burke gives a quote like that then clearly it is the coaching!!!

True.  I think whatever talent we had on this team is regressing.  After so many defeats your confidence and self-esteem are just so beaten down that you end up playing crappier and crappier as time goes on.  They need new winning leadership that will inspire them and get their confidence back up...

...plus a few really good players wouldn't hurt.  :)

Well, obviously, I have entered full procrastination mode... but anyway, Burke is always calling out the talent on the team as we all know.  So just thought i would actually take a look.

DBs - last year, Sears and Stewart were considered lock down corners - BStew has had a terrible season.  Suber has had some great games and some not so much, JJ looks like he should stay at Safety.  Washington hand-picked by Burke.  McGee, Smith, West, Cauchy equals worst depth in the league.

LBs - Labbe still getting major playing time, no depth, Wild and Henoc are keepers.  Dunn is a Burke favourite.

Problem: Talent, mgmt

DL - Everyone looks pretty good, nice depth - could upgrade Mainor and Thomas (?) - import DL easy to find

Problem:  none

OL - January and Jones are good.  Everyone else can go.  CK still kicking around, Sorenson by far the weakest link.  Prospects developing slow

Problem:  Talent, coaching

QB - Nothing to see here.

Problem:  Talent, mgmt, coaching

REC - Actually a decent crop especially if Matthews was healthy.  Cdn talent is actually kind of below average despite all the bodies.  Hard to get a rhythm with 90 different QBs

RB - Hard to say, our running team doesn't run the ball much.  Some games Simpson and Ford look great, sometimes they look like bums.

Problem:  Coaching

ST - Kicking is inconsistent

Problem:  Bombers are cursed.

ST - Some of my favourites have now been here too long, nothing standing out

Problem:  Mgmt

I guess its just repeating the obvious...

Good read. How well has the coaching staff done in putting players in the right positions to succeeed offense, defense and special teams? I'm wondering how Tim Burke and company would answer this question, controlling for their opinions on talent? For example, yesterday Duane Ford observed the use of Edwards as a lead blocker. In other words Edwards was not in a very good position to be successful. This is where coaching is heavily evaluated. Ask Gary Crowton.