GDT Game 2: @ Baby Sharks

iHeart

Wheelers best game in probably last 10 but still didn't do much. His usage is just puzzling tho... that's on Maurice tho not Blake. PP and PK are both coaching as is this unidentified system Maurice was talking about pre season.  Maybe it's adjusting to it still but what Is it? 1 good period a night don't cut it. It's been that way a while tho.. 1 good period.. talk about Helle.. 2 3 goals with this talent? Something ain't right but Buffalo is 2 and 0 so 

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Riley Nash in for wheels on pp1 

Copp with Connor and Scheif 

Perfetti 4th line winger 

Maurice just gone dumb 

Nash on the PP is just ridiculous.  What about Harkins, Perfetti, Vesalainen…. Literally anyone else.  And wouldn’t Ehlers be the natural move up?  Then replace him on PP2?

1 hour ago, BomberBall said:

Nash on the PP is just ridiculous.  What about Harkins, Perfetti, Vesalainen…. Literally anyone else.  And wouldn’t Ehlers be the natural move up?  Then replace him on PP2?

First - it’s just at practice while Wheeler is in COVID protocol. Doesn’t mean Wheeler isn’t playing tomorrow. 
Second - Nash is a righty and was directly replacing Wheeler (at practice, mind you) taking the passing role that Wheeler has. Perfetti is a lefty so that would change the whole power play system for one practice. 
Third - Maurice went to move Ehlers up to the number one unit and Ehlers said he wanted to stay and be the quarterback of the second unit, being the player who drove the power play on that unit (like Wheeler is the QB on the first unit). 

Nothing more sinister than that. 

13 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

First - it’s just at practice while Wheeler is in COVID protocol. Doesn’t mean Wheeler isn’t playing tomorrow. 
Second - Nash is a righty and was directly replacing Wheeler (at practice, mind you) taking the passing role that Wheeler has. Perfetti is a lefty so that would change the whole power play system for one practice. 
Third - Maurice went to move Ehlers up to the number one unit and Ehlers said he wanted to stay and be the quarterback of the second unit, being the player who drove the power play on that unit (like Wheeler is the QB on the first unit). 

Nothing more sinister than that. 

Ehlers was asked to take the spot on PP1?  I didn't hear that....  Interesting tidbit.  Odd that he wouldn't jump at the opportunity, given that the 1st unit often gets most, if not all, of the PP.  Maybe he's assuming Wheeler won't miss any time.

But as far as Nash being on the PP1, there's no justification for it, even in practice.  Why put him there in practice if you have no intention of him being there in a game?  I'm not buying the, "it's just at practice" angle.

44 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

Ehlers was asked to take the spot on PP1?  I didn't hear that....  Interesting tidbit.  Odd that he wouldn't jump at the opportunity, given that the 1st unit often gets most, if not all, of the PP.  Maybe he's assuming Wheeler won't miss any time.

But as far as Nash being on the PP1, there's no justification for it, even in practice.  Why put him there in practice if you have no intention of him being there in a game?  I'm not buying the, "it's just at practice" angle.

Maurice was asked this in his pre-season media availability. Media wondered if Nic would get a look on PP1 and Maurice said he wanted to but Ehlers threw him a curve, and liked his role as the lead guy on PP2. Here is the interview, go to the 1:40 mark. 
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=389781522590664&_rdr

Now, it is possible the interpretation was “I wanted to move him but since he was doing well on the second unit I decided not to move him” as opposed to “ he asked to stay on the second unit” but when Kelly Moore re-played it he said Ehlers made the request to stay on 2 as the QB. 

Not in the clip but also in that presser, PoMo ended the session after questions about the vets and how the rookies looked with “well you all know it doesn’t matter because I love the vets and refuse to give the round guys a shot, right? Isn’t that the story with me?” Throwing major shade at the armchair GMs on Twitter, it was hilarious and beautiful.Media all got a big laugh out of it. 

Svech Nash are both right handed shots. Ves plays the right. It's not a problem.. usage and I'll call it roster issues are all coaching related 

Wheels ain't top line no more. Stastny ain't top 6 no more.. copp isn't either.. they all are 2 slow to keep up with 55 27 81 80. Perfetti is a top 6 skill guy.... 

Connor Scheif Ehlers 

Perfetti Dubois Ves/Svech 

Copp Lowry Wheeler 

Harkins Stastny Svech/Ves 

I mean we need some quickness in our top 6 not 3 guys who can't keep up. 

It's a young man's game 

Playing Wheeler pp pk and over 20 minutes a game is a problem and that's not wheelers fault.. it's the coaching 

Edited by Goalie