The MBB All-time Blue Bomber Team: Outside Linebackers

TrueBlue4ever

The MBB Allp-Time Blue Bomber Team: Outside Linebackers (choose 2)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who are the all-time best Blue Bomber outside linebackers (pick 2)?

• Ike Charlton
    • Charlie Clemons
    • Delbert Fowler
    • Kyries Hebert
    • Tyrone Jones
    • Maurice Kelly
    • Rob McLaren
    • Elfrid Payton
    • James West

Here are the bios:

NOTE: Tackles were not recorded before 1987, so any tackle numbers will not be complete for players who played before that year.

Ike Charlton – 60 games in 6 seasons (2005-10), 1 Int., 29 yards, 6 fumble recoveries, 62 yards, 1 TD, 25 tackles, 4 sacks

Charlie Clemons – 39 games in 3 seasons (1994-96), 68 tackles, 9 sacks

Delbert Fowler – 53 games in 4 seasons (1984, 86-88), 1 Int., 0 yards, 3 fumble recoveries, 0 yards, 33 tackles in 1987, 24 sacks, 2 time Grey Cup champion (1984, 88)

Kyries Hebert – 32 games in 2 seasons (2006-07), 3 Int., 60 yards, 3 fumble recoveries, 6 yards, 87 tackles, 7 sacks

Tyrone Jones – 118 games in 8 seasons (1983-87, 89-91), 13 Int., 88 yards, 1 TD, 8 fumble recoveries, 97 yards, 1 TD, 134 tackles from 1987-91, 98 sacks (club record), 5 time divisional all-star (1984-87, 90), 4 time CFL all-star (1984-87), 1985 CFL Defensive MOP, 1984 Grey Cup defensive MVP, Grey Cup record 4 sacks in 1984 game, 2 time Grey Cup champion (1984, 90), CFL Hall of Fame

Maurice Kelly – 71 games in 4 seasons (1998-99, 2003-04), 9 Int., 148 yards, 1 TD, 12 fumble recoveries, 65 yards, 1 TD, 284 tackles, 7 sacks, CFLPA all-star in 1998, divisional and CFL all-star in 1999, led CFL with 7 fumble recoveries in 1999, team nominee for MOP and MODP in 1999

Rob McLaren – 80 games in 5 seasons (1969-73), 3 Int., 3 yards, 6 fumble recoveries, 4 yards, 1971 divisional all-star

Elfrid Payton – 71 games in 5 seasons (1991-93, 2000*, 2004*), (*was a defensive end in 2000 and 2004), 2 Int., 68 yards, 1 TD, 8 fumble recoveries, 48 yards, 1 TD, 160 tackles, 47 sacks, club record 22 sacks in 1993, divisional and CFL all-star in 1993, team nominee for most outstanding rookie in 1991, Eastern division most outstanding defensive player in 1993, 2 Grey Cup appearances (1992, 93), CFL Hall of Fame

James West – 110 games in 8 seasons (1985-92), 15 Int., 204 yards, 1TD, 12 fumble recoveries, 21 yards, 1 TD, 378 tackles from 1987-92, 37 sacks, 3 time divisional all-star (1987-89), 2 time CFL all-star (1987, 1989), Eastern division most outstanding defensive player in 1987, 2 time Grey Cup champion (1988, 90). CFL Hall of Fame

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

One man's take: OK, with the move of James West to outside linebacker, this is really more a question of who would be third or fourth here. West and Ty Jones are locks here. Although Elfrid Payton's staggering sack totals are hard to overlook, he found more success later in his career as a defensive rush end, and his relatively low tackle totals show him to be a one-trick pony (albeit a pretty fantastic trick with 157 career sacks). Even at that, West's all-around game (INTs and fumble recoveries, huge tackle totals, shifting easily from inside to outside and dominating at both spots, and being a defensive captain to boot) puts him well ahead. Unlike Payton, his motor never stopped, and he never quit on a play. I suppose Mo Kelly would slot in 4th, but his totals are as a safety and linebacker combined.

3 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Does anyone else find it a little odd that the Bombers were able to find so many all-star linebackers but so few all-star QBs?

We haven't lit up the world with all-star linebackers in the last couple of decades, really. (Kelly in '99, before that Payton in '93, and aside from Greg Battle in the early 90's and Adam Bighill last year, we've been pretty lean at middle linebacker too, from a league recognition standpoint). We were a factory form 1983 to 1993 for sure. QB will come later, but aside from all-stars Glenn and K. Jones in the 2000's and our lean last decade, I can think of Dunigan, Clements (and Hufnagel as a solid back-up), Brock, Jonas, Ploen, and Jacobs.

2 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

One man's take: OK, with the move of James West to outside linebacker, this is really more a question of who would be third or fourth here. West and Ty Jones are locks here. Although Elfrid Payton's staggering sack totals are hard to overlook, he found more success later in his career as a defensive rush end, and his relatively low tackle totals show him to be a one-trick pony (albeit a pretty fantastic trick with 157 career sacks). Even at that, West's all-around game (INTs and fumble recoveries, huge tackle totals, shifting easily from inside to outside and dominating at both spots, and being a defensive captain to boot) puts him well ahead. Unlike Payton, his motor never stopped, and he never quit on a play. I suppose Mo Kelly would slot in 4th, but his totals are as a safety and linebacker combined.

I used to love Rob McLaren as a linebacker. He played so well for the Bombers & then went on to star on the Eskimo dynasty teams of 1978-82 but as good as he was, he wasn't at the same level of play as Jones & West. 

17 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

Wanted to vote for Payton so bad but couldnt..

Jones and West are just too dominant.

Well I wanted to put West down as an inside linebacker since he was at that spot for a pair of dominant years, but I was swayed by others. Will make the voting for inside linebacker more interesting though (who will join Greg Battle?)

20 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Well I wanted to put West down as an inside linebacker since he was at that spot for a pair of dominant years, but I was swayed by others. Will make the voting for inside linebacker more interesting though (who will join Greg Battle?)

You put West where he belonged at OLB not inside. 

5 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I was a long time ago but one of the memories I have of Jones is from a media story,  a story where they reported that Jones was known to,  or was accused of spitting on opponents at the line....... anyone remember anything like that ?...

Who cares? He's remembered for a lot more than that.  His play on the field would usurp that. 

4 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

So it was true..... good that means some of my memory is still working.  And of course he is remembered for more than just that.  Still pretty nasty though.

I didn't say it was but I'm not surprised you'd remember a player for spitting & nothing else based on your track record here. 

1 minute ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I didn't say it was but I'm not surprised you'd remember a player for spitting & nothing else based on your track record here. 

That insult was completely unnecessary and how threads get derailed around here. Maybe a PM if you have a personal issue with someone?  Just my two cents, I apologize if I’m overstepping my bounds. 

37 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That insult was completely unnecessary and how threads get derailed around here. Maybe a PM if you have a personal issue with someone?  Just my two cents, I apologize if I’m overstepping my bounds. 

Skunk insulted Jones memory by saying he spit on a player.  Maybe he did but why'd he even bring it up? Then brags about his so called memory? Skunk being Skunk. I take nothing back.  

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Skunk insulted Jones memory by saying he spit on a player.  Maybe he did but why'd he even bring it up? Then brags about his so called memory? Skunk being Skunk. I take nothing back.  

Jones spit on players. That's not an insult. It's part of who Jones was.