Riders’ Charleston Hughes charged with impaired driving

Deiter Fan

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Because people are selfish assholes. 

What I mean is...WE all know drunks are driving away from the bar,  groups like MADD know drunks are driving away from the bars,  LAW ENFORCEMENT know drunks are driving away from the bars,  how come nobody is at the bars are catching these people ?

2 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

What I mean is...WE all know drunks are driving away from the bar,  groups like MADD know drunks are driving away from the bars,  LAW ENFORCEMENT know drunks are driving away from the bars,  how come nobody is at the bars are catching these people ?

Because there are laws against over-serving bar patrons, but problem drinkers can find ways around that.

38 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

So you want to set up check stops outside every bar? You think the police have unlimited manpower and resources? 

37 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So you want to set up check stops outside every bar? You think the police have unlimited manpower and resources? 

Once in a blue moon wouldn't hurt..... and don't advertise them like they do at Xmas.....  jus saying it would do more to deter drinking and driving than all the conversations ever had on a place like this. 

1 minute ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Once in a blue moon wouldn't hurt..... and don't advertise them like they do at Xmas.....  jus saying it would do more to deter drinking and driving than all the conversations ever had on a place like this. 

I see check stops regularly, but again, you can't police every street that has a bar on it. 

I also vehemently disagree that check stops do more than conversations. Talking about topics does way more to get people to think about their choices than anything else. 

14 hours ago, Tracker said:

The reality is that problem drinkers' sense of reality tells then that they are either good enough to drive or that they will never get caught, and the odds are with them. Only a small percentage ever get caught. Many of the drunk drivers who lose their licenses just continue to drive.

My "friend" went out one night and got drunk and decided to drive home. Cops pulled him over and one of the cops was his curling buddy. They laughed it off and the cop said "We better follow you home to make sure you get there safely". Needless to say, if that was you or me, they would have arrested us on the spot, took our pictures, finger printed us, released our names to the press, and humiliated us. I guess the moral of the story is makes friends with as many cops as you can. *disgusted*

2 hours ago, J5V said:

My "friend" went out one night and got drunk and decided to drive home. Cops pulled him over and one of the cops was his curling buddy. They laughed it off and the cop said "We better follow you home to make sure you get there safely". Needless to say, if that was you or me, they would have arrested us on the spot, took our pictures, finger printed us, released our names to the press, and humiliated us. I guess the moral of the story is makes friends with as many cops as you can. *disgusted*

That happened to my father in the 1960's.  A cop noticed him driving erratically but never pulled him over. They followed him home & he narrowly missed our fence pulling into the driveway. Cops gets out & tells my father if he had hit the fence he'd have been charged with drunk driving. He never gave him a ticket even though he was inebriated. Just one more day in the life of my late father. I loved him so much but he was so lucky with his driving over the years. Never had an accident or a ticket. But what heartbreak our family suffered with him because of his alcoholism.  My mother was the strongest person I have known. She kept her marriage & our family together through all that chaos.  It also is hard to cope when you're a 10 year old & you realize the man you admire the most in life is an alcoholic & is different from all the dads your friends have. Just makes me sad thinking about it. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

That happened to my father in the 1960's.  A cop noticed him driving erratically but never pulled him over. They followed him home & he narrowly missed our fence pulling into the driveway. Cops gets out & tells my father if he had hit the fence he'd have been charged with drunk driving. He never gave him a ticket even though he was inebriated. Just one more day in the life of my late father. I loved him so much but he was so lucky with his driving over the years he drove. But what heartbreak our family suffered with him because of his alcoholism.  My mother was the strongest person I have known. She kept her marriage & our family together through all that chaos.  Just makes me sad thinking about it. 

That "friend" I referred to was my father also. A lot of alcoholism in my and my ex-wife's family. I guess that's why it's not such a big deal to me with the Hughes thing. Just another day for us as kids. It is sad, but I also know there were reasons for it. Things are rarely ever as black and white as they appear and that is why I think these matters are best left to the proper authorities.

When I was a kid growing up in East Kildonan the beer truck used to stop at our house on Noble Avenue every Saturday. It was normal for us. LOL! We went through a lot of beer. For whatever reason, I never inherited the alcoholism gene. I've always been grateful for that.

Very few families have not been touched by the ravages of alcoholism. Even if you have not inherited the genetic predisposition towards chemical dependency, there are behavioural tendencies usually get installed in the offspring- like guessing what is normal in life, being either super-responsible or super-irresponsible, impulsiveness, etc, etc.

4 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Very few families have not been touched by the ravages of alcoholism. Even if you have not inherited the genetic predisposition towards chemical dependency, there are behavioural tendencies usually get installed in the offspring- like guessing what is normal in life, being either super-responsible or super-irresponsible, impulsiveness, etc, etc.

Very true, or all the above, at different times. It can certainly be challenging.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

That "friend" I referred to was my father also. A lot of alcoholism in my and my ex-wife's family. I guess that's why it's not such a big deal to me with the Hughes thing. Just another day for us as kids. It is sad, but I also know there were reasons for it. Things are rarely ever as black and white as they appear and that is why I think these matters are best left to the proper authorities.

When I was a kid growing up in East Kildonan the beer truck used to stop at our house on Noble Avenue every Saturday. It was normal for us. LOL! We went through a lot of beer. For whatever reason, I never inherited the alcoholism gene. I've always been grateful for that.

12 minutes ago, J5V said:

Very true, or all the above, at different times. It can certainly be challenging.

Yes, I've certainly had my ups & downs dealing with a lack of self confidence in my life which from what I've read is a by product of children of alcoholics. We all deal with things differently.  Anyway,  I have no sympathy for Hughes. I just hope it isn't a peek into what he's like away from football. 

3 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Yes, I've certainly had my ups & downs dealing with a lack of self confidence in my life which from what I've read is a by product of children of alcoholics. We all deal with things differently.  Anyway,  I have no sympathy for Hughes. I just hope it isn't a peek into what he's like away from football. 

Let's hope it was just a one-time bad decision that could have been made by anyone. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

Here is a more comprehensive list of children raised in dysfunctional families:

• Become isolated
  • Fear people and authority figures
  • Become approval seekers
  • Be frightened of angry people
  • Be terrified of personal criticism
  • Become alcoholics, marry them, or both
  • View life as a victim
  • Have an overwhelming sense of responsibility
  • Be concerned more with others than themselves
  • Feel guilty when they stand up for themselves
  • Become addicted to excitement
  • Confuse love and pity
  • "Love" people who need rescuing
  • Stuff their feelings
  • Lose the ability to feel
  • Have low self-esteem
  • Judge themselves harshly
  • Become terrified of abandonment
  • Do anything to hold on to a relationship
  • Become "para-alcoholics," people who take on the characteristics of the disease without drinking
  •  

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Here is a more comprehensive list of children raised in dysfunctional families:

• Become isolated
  • Fear people and authority figures
  • Become approval seekers
  • Be frightened of angry people
  • Be terrified of personal criticism
  • Become alcoholics, marry them, or both
  • View life as a victim
  • Have an overwhelming sense of responsibility
  • Be concerned more with others than themselves
  • Feel guilty when they stand up for themselves
  • Become addicted to excitement
  • Confuse love and pity
  • "Love" people who need rescuing
  • Stuff their feelings
  • Lose the ability to feel
  • Have low self-esteem
  • Judge themselves harshly
  • Become terrified of abandonment
  • Do anything to hold on to a relationship
  • Become "para-alcoholics," people who take on the characteristics of the disease without drinking
  •  

More than a few there for me.