Portage & Main

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The people have spoken  ,  may this cornball idea rest ..... in....piece  (Undertaker voice)

Also JCon your comment above is major sour grapes,   Browaty would steamroll Bowman if he had ran.  The guy is genuine and unlike Bowman he actually gives a crap about the city instead of putting his own image first.    Souuuuuuuuuuuuuuur grapes.   

Its not sour grapes.  Its discussing an issue.  You mentioned reasons you were against it that were personal to you and not supported by facts.  Its quite reasonable to point out how absurd this whole thing was.  And its certainly not put to rest given the fact the infrastructure is crumbling.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If I recall, there was enough Council support for the plebiscite to go forward without Bowman's support but he saw the opportunity to cut Jenny off at the knees.  Her plan was to make the election about P&M and she'd have likely done even better without the pleb on the ballot.

What's next, are we going to vote on which streets get potholes repairs?  Or which roads get bike lanes?  It was remarkably embarrassing this was even asked on the ballot and I'd feel that way even if "yes" had won.  

LOL...Jenny is a complete moron.  I've read many of her tweets and I really don't know how she puts her pants on by herself.

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

Its not sour grapes.  Its discussing an issue.  You mentioned reasons you were against it that were personal to you and not supported by facts.  Its quite reasonable to point out how absurd this whole thing was.  And its certainly not put to rest given the fact the infrastructure is crumbling.

Calling Browaty a coward and making an emotional response is completely sour grapes.   I'm trying to say jcon was being a sore loser.   Maybe sour grapes was the incorrect term to use?

If I recall, there was enough Council support for the plebiscite to go forward without Bowman's support but he saw the opportunity to cut Jenny off at the knees.  Her plan was to make the election about P&M and she'd have likely done even better without the pleb on the ballot.

What's next, are we going to vote on which streets get potholes repairs?  Or which roads get bike lanes?  It was remarkably embarrassing this was even asked on the ballot and I'd feel that way even if "yes" had won.  

That's what I'm thinking. 

We should vote on fixing streets. We'll go street by street. Hope that those unaffected by P&M but voted "No" anyhow have their streets fall apart.

4 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I can't believe you can't believe it. It wasn't exactly Winnipeg's best and brightest opposing him in this election. This year might have been the least inspiring group of mayoral candidates to challenge an incumbent ever.

Edit: Motkaluk did get more votes that I thought she would though.

This city is staunchly against almost anything that's not status quo.

It was more an expression of disappointment than anything. Sticking with the status quo is what keeps holding this city back, IMO - regardless of the candidates in any particular election.

4 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

You act like there was competition for him.

Nope. Not at all.

Just now, Brandon said:

Completely agree,  I was listening to 680 after the polls and they made a great point about how in future elections they need some kind of way to weed out the crap candidates.   Having weirdos like Ackerman and Woodstock running in the election is almost a mockery of the election itself.    

If Jenny was more likeable  (according to reddit she has a punchable face)  she probably would of won.   Most of the people I spoke with who were voting for Bowman were voting based on the least crappiest of a crap bunch of candidates.    

I had wished that Oulette-Falcon would of ran for this election because a fresh face who is genuine and with an open mind would be fantastic for our mayor.

I disagree.  Those fringe candidates had no bearing on the outcome.  If they want to reform election rules to make it more difficult to get nominated, perhaps there is merit there (ie. requiring more signatures to get nominated but realistically, just about anyone can qualify although several years ago Ernie Todd, local wrestling promoter, announced he was running for mayor, got media attention and then failed to get the required signatures for his nomination).

Jenny had no chance of winning, whether she was likable or not. I actually spoke to her on Monday for some time (she called me about an issue she was told I'd have some knowledge in) and she was very likable. 

But Winnipeggers hate change.  They loath it.  And they dont really vote either.  Combine those two things and its status quo until the incumbent chooses not to run,.

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Calling Browaty a coward and making an emotional response is completely sour grapes.   I'm trying to say jcon was being a sore loser.   Maybe sour grapes was the incorrect term to use?

No, you're usual MO is to resort to insults.  Im saying you were very emotional about the issue which is why you used reasons unsupported by facts to argue against facts and its that emotion that drives you to try to silence someone expressing a valid position.  Its okay to be emotional about issues you are passionate about, but no one insulted you or called you a loser.  

I dont know if its cowardice or political smarts that drove Bowman to support the Pleb.  But he sure didnt want the election to be Bowman vs Jenny on the issue of P&M.  That's smart politics but likely indicative of a "concern" (ie. fear) of making that the case.

5 minutes ago, JCon said:

There's no way Bowarty would have won. He has no ideas and contributes nothing. Same as Jenny. 

No one was beating Bowman. Despite the hatred of few on here, the city has been improving and people see that. 

He would steam roll Bowman,     Bowman only won last term because of the smile and Judy being a ding dong. 

This year he won because he ran against an unlikeable lady with some terrible ideas and a bunch of complete misfits who belong on the Howard Stern wackpack.   (Dennis Diack being the exception). 

Bowman has very little support from the community he just seems like the safe pick both last term and this term. 

4 minutes ago, JCon said:

There's no way Bowarty would have won. He has no ideas and contributes nothing. Same as Jenny. 

No one was beating Bowman. Despite the hatred of few on here, the city has been improving and people see that. 

Im of the same mind.  I voted for Bowman last election and was going to vote for him again this election but I find him to be wishy washy and I think he plays it safe.  But it was sort of the devil I know scenario for me.  I actually did not end up voting for him but had Jenny been polling close enough to win, I probably would have.

The city is generally moving in a positive direction.  But if I were Bowman, I'd "steal" some of the good ideas his opponents had, like updating the police computers (in fact, I'd be sitting down with Diack to discuss many of the issues he brought forward about safety and law enforcement), Meth treatment facility etc.

if Mark Chipman had run, he'd have beaten Bowman.  lol

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

No, you're usual MO is to resort to insults. 

It was jcon who called Browaty a coward.    Stop mixing things up.     I'm merely pointing out the guy is being a sore loser because the vast majority of folks voted no.  I suggested it was time to move on.     

People have voted,  time to move on.     

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

He would steam roll Bowman,     Bowman only won last term because of the smile and Judy being a ding dong. 

This year he won because he ran against an unlikeable lady with some terrible ideas and a bunch of complete misfits who belong on the Howard Stern wackpack.   (Dennis Diack being the exception). 

Bowman has very little support from the community he just seems like the safe pick both last term and this term. 

Tim Diack.

You're opinion is not supported by fact.  No incumbent has ever lost.  As I joked about above, Chipman may have beaten Bowman, but there is little reason to believe any of the current or past city Councillors would.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

It was jcon who called Browaty a coward.    Stop mixing things up.     I'm merely pointing out the guy is being a sore loser because the vast majority of folks voted no.  I suggested it was time to move on.     

People have voted,  time to move on.     

jcon is not a public figure.  If you want to continue to sink to the position of calling people losers and other insults, thats up to the mods to deal with but its your usual MO and its tiresome.

But I am glad to hear you'll be moving on.  The rest of us can continue to discuss the issue as we please. :90_wave:

jcon is not a public figure.  If you want to continue to sink to the position of calling people losers and other insults, thats up to the mods to deal with but its your usual MO and its tiresome.

But I am glad to hear you'll be moving on.  The rest of us can continue to discuss the issue as we please. :90_wave:

I merely pointed out that calling someone a coward makes them look bad.   Base off this post to me it looks like you are a child trying to yell for a parent to get a sibling in trouble.  

I'll end my posts about jcon as I believe you got the point (eventually).

Chipman would easily of won,   might be some issues like Sam Katz where personal interests would of conflicted with being the mayor.  I'd assume Chipman would rather make boat load of money doing something else then being the mayor.   Plus  no matter who is the mayor they'll be in his palm as the city doesn't exactly have a long line of people wanting to invest in downtown. 

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Why is he a coward?

Is quick to insult Bowman but doesn't offer alternate solutions. 

Could have run against Bowman but chose not to because he was worried about his precious seat. 

Browarty comments on the costs to train city staff on reconciliation, being forced to resign from the Winnipeg Police Board. 

Votes against increases funding to public works projects, like Tache Promenade, but acts shocked when funding for his own areas projects are rejected (Kilcona Park).

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

The P&M discussion was done as soon as it went to a plebiscite. This city never votes for something, always against.

I guarantee and willing to bet 5 dollars if they had a vote for a city funded indoor waterpark that it would definitely vote Yes for that.    

I hope that they're able to use P&M reconstruction and refurbishments to encourage investment at the street level and improve the infrastructure below the surface. 

They need to improve the concourse, making it more accessible for everyone and improve signage. 

You can still get people at P&M, street level, without the crosswalk. 

I miss working downtown at P&M.

23 minutes ago, JCon said:

The P&M discussion was done as soon as it went to a plebiscite. This city never votes for something, always against.

Screw the people that actually use the intersection, it may add 54 secs, at peak times to someone's commute. 

Or is that 15 minutes? 

It wouldn't be 54 seconds though. 54 seconds when you reach that light, maybe. But when traffic is bumper to bumper all the way vack to vaughn street, it would be 54 seconds 12 times over. 

I don't get why people want it opened up. What does it do for you or for anyone? If Winnipeg square doesn't do it for you, is crossing on the next block really so hard?

I would be on board for a pedestrian overpass.

46 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I merely pointed out that calling someone a coward makes them look bad.   Base off this post to me it looks like you are a child trying to yell for a parent to get a sibling in trouble.  

I'll end my posts about jcon as I believe you got the point (eventually).

Its funny how so many discussions are reasonable and varied and along comes Brandon to inject insults and childish rhetoric.  Also funny how you use the comparison to a child getting in trouble and immediately announce you'll stop, which is what children usually do when they think they're going to get in trouble.  Go sit on the time out chair! lol

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Chipman would easily of won,   might be some issues like Sam Katz where personal interests would of conflicted with being the mayor.  I'd assume Chipman would rather make boat load of money doing something else then being the mayor.   Plus  no matter who is the mayor they'll be in his palm as the city doesn't exactly have a long line of people wanting to invest in downtown. 

I guess it depends on your definition of "long list" and how that compares to other cities and their lists of people investing in multi-million dollar downtown projects.

Between the Chipman's, Richardson's, Thomson's, ARTIS, Sutton Group, Hydro, Hilton, Pollard, Rogers and Im sure many others, Winnipeg is doing pretty good in terms of downtown investment.

29 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I guarantee and willing to bet 5 dollars if they had a vote for a city funded indoor waterpark that it would definitely vote Yes for that.    

There was overwhelming opposition to an indoor water park with significant private funding slated for the Forks to the extent the city disallowed it.