Depth Charts June 14th Bombers vs Eskimos

Jpan85

44 minutes ago, Floyd said:

No seriously, what are you basing this analysis on?  I only like Boateng because I thought he was a write off but then he was really noticeable in the games I watched...

I really like Corney so I'm interested to find out what the difference is...

have you watched him play? he cant independently rush the passer or play the run vs his own blocker. Not just lack of moves and know how, he cant beat average tackles with sheer athleticism over and over and over again. Corney came in with a great lack of technique, but the ability to occasionally beat his man with sheer quickness and strength. He also came with the ability to get in on the back end of plays with sheer athletic ability even after being beaten during the early play by his OL. 

Boatengs few successes comes from abject poor play, or having an opening created for him. And even those are few and far between. Corney is now showing the ability to beat tackles regularly with technique as well. Both are high motor guys. the difference athletically is like that of jamie stoddard and petermann. 

Corneys ability to bull rush tackles alone is enough to keep him in the league. Boateng isnt effective at all in a bull rush and to harness speed rushes requires technique, or a lot of tactics in designed plays. 

They went to boateng because they had no option in edm. They stuck with him 1 because of his passport, 2 because of his motor and 3 hes the right kind of football player. He is the end version of early jake thomas. 

Look back at some high lights here. Play one, wilder literally shoves him past the blocking tackle. Play two the bc Offense is doing two different things. Either it was supposed to be a read option, the play side tackle skips to the second level leaving him un blocked. Boateng goes inside, the ball should be pulled and taken around the end. But the qb rb positioning is more of a collision. And he goes eh you take the hit. Its possible the play was not a read option and the tackle had the play wrong. The next play, the rb lumabala 46 is left to block boateng alone, but he stays soo far inside behind the tackle he barely puts a hand on boateng as he goes past. When teams strategize to slide the line away from you and chip you with a FB its a bad sign.  The next play is a Ol switch where the second ol doesnt pick him up. The play after is all hustle. The ol beats him keeps him out side gets behind the play. At this point the qb needs to feel the pressure and take action, but credit to his hustle. The running plays, he is disciplined in waiting and making a read on the run. But if that hole is filled by the Lber its a 5-6 yard gain. Slow reacting once his read is made and only gets an arm on the back. Next play same thing. Slow to fill the hole, tackling with an arm from the side instead of no gain its a 5-6 yard gain. Good discipline, good read, slow reaction puts him in a bad position left with an arm tackle. 3rd running play, gets out side the tackle, beats him clean loops back in side still coming from the side. Rather then going for a good from tackle like a hawk tackle, or a profile tackle he goes high and clotheslines the rb. I believe he was penalized on that play, if not its a bad miss. But if you try n tackle one of the bigger backs in the league, or even a good power smaller back like that they will bounce off you and romp down field. The next play is the best of so far. He plays the position well. Waits, but is slow getting out of his squat stop he gets his hands up which is smart and gets the tip which is picked. Against a low mobility passer this works. If its any of the mid tier or above qbs though they pump him or jab step and walk around him. (its our ole friend drew shell shock willy who doesnt even see boateng right in front of him. poor willy)

Luck is the residue of hard work. Boateng works hard. Plenty of young guys end up in positions to make plays based on poor execution by the other team and dont. Im a firm believer the difference is preparation and hard work. Hes quick. But not especially quick for his size. He isnt over powering with strength by any means. The type of guy you love to have on your team but do not want starting. And yeah, would not have been top 10 dl for us in tc. No other team in the league would have him starting. 

Not every thing (obviously) correlates from american football to canadian. Despite the yard off the line, pass rushing has more similarities then most. The difference between high level DL and average ones, is use of their hands. Using the hands to fight off the OL, driving forward while maintaining the gap between your body (the end) and the tackle then using a move in that gap to create an angle to make a play in the back field. When an OL constantly has his hand under the pads of a DL, using leverage maintaining his angle and pushing the DL out side the tackle is winning. If you watch him, you see boateng controlled a lot. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5qn1X6tUuM

Edited by wbbfan

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

have you watched him play? he cant independently rush the passer or play the run vs his own blocker. Not just lack of moves and know how, he cant beat average tackles with sheer athleticism over and over and over again. Corney came in with a great lack of technique, but the ability to occasionally beat his man with sheer quickness and strength. He also came with the ability to get in on the back end of plays with sheer athletic ability even after being beaten during the early play by his OL. 

So you watched his highlight reel and then skewed all of these plays as luck or a mistake by the D...?

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

So you watched his highlight reel and then skewed all of these plays as luck or a mistake by the D...?

🤦‍♂️ No i watched him play. And watched him handled again and again. what do you watch when you watch games? the ball? I went back and dug through a clip to break down the difference in detail for you.

Did you actually read any of the comment or just knee jerk react because it didnt mesh with your perception of reality?  Skewed lol. seriously go watch. I included the second clip to show good pass rushing. 🙄

Edited by wbbfan