Coach Fogg

Taynted_Fayth

https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/11/28/coach-fogg-micd-up/

Kinda cool seeing some players doing some stuff out in the community. Was reading some of the FB comments apparently Osh's son plays (or played) for St. Paul, so I wonder if he has any influence on getting players to guest coach? Also read Teague Sherman was involved with the Oak Park Raiders for a while while he was with the blue and gold.  My son's going to be in high school next year and we've talked about him playing football in the high school league. Right now it seems like he may go to Dakota (lives in st vital) but I was hoping for a more stronger football program. Anyone follow high school football more closely to have any insight?  Are there any other bombers that do some work with other schools?

I'll start by pointing out that Dakota was in the finals this year against St. Pauls. One could argue its a program on the rise. Then I'll mini rant and state that St. Pauls has an unfair advantage since they draw from all over the city and can offer scholarships. They basically recruit and stack their sports teams.

11 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'll start by pointing out that Dakota was in the finals this year against St. Pauls. One could argue its a program on the rise. Then I'll mini rant and state that St. Pauls has an unfair advantage since they draw from all over the city and can offer scholarships. They basically recruit and stack their sports teams.

Yeah Dakota was in the final but I don't think they are a perennial powerhouse.  I think there is something happening though in regards to students playing for other schools.  I believe there was a kid last year that attended a school that didn't offer football and wanted to join a team from a different school, but wasn't allowed because he wasn't an enrolled student of said school.  So they've been fighting it behind the scenes or something and could gain some traction sooner then later.  If that is the case, I'd probably encourage my kid to go to glenlawn then get his choice of where he wanted to play unless your limited to proximity - so like Dakota or Churchill in this case

I would suggest talking to some of the coaches from perspective HSs. The coach and team to help you go to the next level (if thats the goal) may not be the one thats stacked to contend at the HS level. Hard to get any where if you dont play a lot. A smaller team where he would get a lot more play time would be valuable. If again that is a situation you find your self in, or could. Also if you would be flipping the money to put him through that school, that money could with a smaller team  be spent on off season camps, and coaching seminars. While some things translate better then others, the level of coaching available to sub college level players down south is extraordinary.  And many skills developed down their translate just as well up here. Food for thought any way. Not knowing how much hes played previously, I would put the emphasis on play time.

13 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

https://www.bluebombers.com/2017/11/28/coach-fogg-micd-up/

Kinda cool seeing some players doing some stuff out in the community. Was reading some of the FB comments apparently Osh's son plays (or played) for St. Paul, so I wonder if he has any influence on getting players to guest coach? Also read Teague Sherman was involved with the Oak Park Raiders for a while while he was with the blue and gold.  My son's going to be in high school next year and we've talked about him playing football in the high school league. Right now it seems like he may go to Dakota (lives in st vital) but I was hoping for a more stronger football program. Anyone follow high school football more closely to have any insight?  Are there any other bombers that do some work with other schools?

Forgive me if I'm a little out of the loop because it's been a few years since I was a coach in the WHSFL and haven't really been keeping up, but if Ray Jarvis is still the HC of the Lancers your son could do a lot worse than playing for him.  Having known Ray, and coaching against him, for many years I can attest to his quality as a coach and as a developer of players.

Dave Vankoughnett's kid was the QB at Dakota this year, and may still be there next year too, so if you want to rub shoulders with the former Bomber, encourage him to go there. :) 

They've also got a defensive lineman who was on the Western Canada under 16 team this summer, and led the WHSFL in forced fumbles and was near the lead in sacks as well. I believe he's only in grade 10, so there will be some talent there for the next couple years.

41 minutes ago, nate007 said:

Dave Vankoughnett's kid was the QB at Dakota this year, and may still be there next year too, so if you want to rub shoulders with the former Bomber, encourage him to go there. :) 

They've also got a defensive lineman who was on the Western Canada under 16 team this summer, and led the WHSFL in forced fumbles and was near the lead in sacks as well. I believe he's only in grade 10, so there will be some talent there for the next couple years.

thats both great, and makes me feel old all at once. 

On 11/28/2017 at 10:54 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:

Yeah Dakota was in the final but I don't think they are a perennial powerhouse.  I think there is something happening though in regards to students playing for other schools.  I believe there was a kid last year that attended a school that didn't offer football and wanted to join a team from a different school, but wasn't allowed because he wasn't an enrolled student of said school.  So they've been fighting it behind the scenes or something and could gain some traction sooner then later.  If that is the case, I'd probably encourage my kid to go to glenlawn then get his choice of where he wanted to play unless your limited to proximity - so like Dakota or Churchill in this case

It may have changed but I know in the 90's if your school did not have a football team(or whichever sport you want to play) you could go play for the closest school with a team. I know this because Matt Sheridan went to Silver Heights and played for Sturgeon Creek. I also went to John Taylor and was going to play for Sturgeon but started playing basketball instead.

5 hours ago, Engelwood said:

It may have changed but I know in the 90's if your school did not have a football team(or whichever sport you want to play) you could go play for the closest school with a team. I know this because Matt Sheridan went to Silver Heights and played for Sturgeon Creek. I also went to John Taylor and was going to play for Sturgeon but started playing basketball instead.

Thats how it was for me as well. Territorial rights.