Goldeyes 2017 postseason

FrostyWinnipeg

sigh, the Bombers play even if it does rain, but their grounds are different that the fish I'm surprised that the league doesn't have a due date for the end of the season? I mean there is a rule that says that they can't really play after midnight but that's only if there has been a rain delay

Edited by iHeart

still either way a Goldeyes win tonight can be pretty historic I mean when was the last time a Major Winnipeg team won on home soil (but then again the fish probably did when they won their first championship)

but the last time could have either been bomber era or Jets 1.0 WHA era

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

still either way a Goldeyes win tonight can be pretty historic I mean when was the last time a Major Winnipeg team won on home soil (but then again the fish probably did when they won their first championship)

but the last time could have either been bomber era or Jets 1.0 WHA era

Yeah Goldeyes 1st season at Wpg Stad.

https://smartbizwpg.com/2017/09/19/goldeyes-broadcaster-has-no-problem-putting-in-overtime/

Kind of a neat piece. I was listening online last night and thinking that I didn't recognize the voice as one of the regular Wpg media people, but it was a really good baseball call. This guy is solid...

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not a baseball fan but that didnt seem like a balk to me.  What was actually called??

Balk was called. If you watch closely he waggles down but doesn't make a distinct stopping motion at the bottom of his wind-up, coming up slightly before going into his delivery. The right call by the book, but not a blatant balk like some where the pitcher makes an obvious flinch or fakes a throw when he needs to commit. The worst part of it is that the ump let the ground ball play out rather than stopping the play immediately and signaling balk. But given the Wingnuts' reaction (especially the pitcher and catcher) they didn't seem to object to the call.

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Balk was called. If you watch closely he waggles down but doesn't make a distinct stopping motion at the bottom of his wind-up, coming up slightly before going into his delivery. The right call by the book, but not a blatant balk like some where the pitcher makes an obvious flinch or fakes a throw when he needs to commit. The worst part of it is that the ump let the ground ball play out rather than stopping the play immediately and signaling balk. But given the Wingnuts' reaction (especially the pitcher and catcher) they didn't seem to object to the call.

I was reading that it was the right call at the right time. Apparently a hit would have negated the balk. Apparently if you read the rules on it... If the pitcher balks and a guy hits a single double triple HR etc... Balk isnt called but if he hits it and hes out.. The balk should be called. 

It's confusing but apparently the umps played it correctly. 

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I was reading that it was the right call at the right time. Apparently a hit would have negated the balk. Apparently if you read the rules on it... If the pitcher balks and a guy hits a single double triple HR etc... Balk isnt called but if he hits it and hes out.. The balk should be called. 

It's confusing but apparently the umps played it correctly. 

Thanks for the clarification. Did not know that. Here's a question arising from that, however. Runner was on 2nd. Suppose the hit goes through, batter gets safely to first, and the runner on 2nd breaks for home but is thrown out at the plate (or even worse, the batter tries to stretch to a double and is thrown out before the runner gets home). Would the out count or would the play be wiped out by the balk? I see trouble either way the decision goes based on the rule that a hit wipes out the balk:

- if the balk wipes out any out, then the runner has nothing to lose by trying to score, and the defensive team gets penalized more than one base should the runner be safe at home

- if the balk only applies to one base, and the runner advances past third (or the batter tries for second) at their own peril, not really fair to the baserunner who doesn't know they have an automatic base being awarded since the balk is not signaled until after the play.

-also not fair to the defending team who might rush a throw that isn't going to count if they get the putout, get an error instead, and allow the runner going to third to advance to home rather than re-setting and knowing their situation

Strange rule, IMO.

So to answer my own question (since I looked it up), the balk is a dead ball play unless the pitcher throws it, and if a hit/error/base on balls occurs for the batter the play is considered live (and if a walk occurs, any other baserunners also advance a base even if not as a result of the walk), and as long as one base is advanced by all, the balk is negated and the play goes on as if no balk occurred. So anything over one base can then be played normally, and if an out occurs from the attempt to advance more than one base, then so be it. Kind of silly since a balk occurs before the pitch happens, so it really should be a dead ball play all the time, to my way of thinking.

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Only downside is it will conflict with the Jets game now. McDavid vs championship final in Winnipeg. I already had tix to the hockey game bought last week, but was planning to go tonight to the ball game had they won yesterday. Oh well.

Mcdavid playing here? Crazy. Thought theyd bring the B squad. 

6 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thanks for the clarification. Did not know that. Here's a question arising from that, however. Runner was on 2nd. Suppose the hit goes through, batter gets safely to first, and the runner on 2nd breaks for home but is thrown out at the plate (or even worse, the batter tries to stretch to a double and is thrown out before the runner gets home). Would the out count or would the play be wiped out by the balk? I see trouble either way the decision goes based on the rule that a hit wipes out the balk:

- if the balk wipes out any out, then the runner has nothing to lose by trying to score, and the defensive team gets penalized more than one base should the runner be safe at home

- if the balk only applies to one base, and the runner advances past third (or the batter tries for second) at their own peril, not really fair to the baserunner who doesn't know they have an automatic base being awarded since the balk is not signaled until after the play.

-also not fair to the defending team who might rush a throw that isn't going to count if they get the putout, get an error instead, and allow the runner going to third to advance to home rather than re-setting and knowing their situation

Strange rule, IMO.

It's been awhile since I played baseball or seen balk on TV but from my recollection it's 1 base from where you start at the beginning of the pitch - the same way a ground rule double is applied with 2 bases from where you start.

I think the only time you can gain more bases on an automatic advance is on a walk,  as jose bautista did earlier this year. I've never seen it before in my life but apparently it was allowed to stand and within the rules

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/watch-blue-jays-jose-bautista-steals-second-base-walk/

16 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Only downside is it will conflict with the Jets game now. McDavid vs championship final in Winnipeg. I already had tix to the hockey game bought last week, but was planning to go tonight to the ball game had they won yesterday. Oh well.

I get that a lot of people are die-hard hockey fans and don't really care for any other sport... but for me a championship, winner take all final, outweighs a pre-season hockey game any day of the week... I don't care that it's NHL vs American Association...

That being said I can't make the game tonight  because I have jets tickets... just kidding :P, I have non-hockey related prior commitments 

2 hours ago, bearpants said:

I get that a lot of people are die-hard hockey fans and don't really care for any other sport... but for me a championship, winner take all final, outweighs a pre-season hockey game any day of the week... I don't care that it's NHL vs American Association...

That being said I can't make the game tonight  because I have jets tickets... just kidding :P, I have non-hockey related prior commitments 

100% this...especially when it's pre-season hockey. How often do you get the chance to see a local pro team win a championship live?? No brainer...

Game 5 everyone fingers, toes whatever joints we can cross there is something wrong with the stream at the moment, nevermind it's working, I wish the game tracker was working though

https://www.americanassociationbaseball.tv/event/1910/wichita-wingnuts-at-winnipeg-goldeyes-wednesday-september-20-2017-6-00-pm-cdt

Edited by iHeart