Game 54 : Three for the Road @ Lone Star

10 minutes ago, Ducky said:

We haven't been getting the big saves when we needed them this year but we sure did tonight. Out-goalied them and Pavs kept the puck out when we needed him to.

Your memory ain't what it used to be. We haven't been scoring 4 plus goals a game. Pav was good but he's not the reason we are winning. The team is scoring more than 3 goals a game. Like I said score 4 or more and we should win. That was a really awful  keep the lead mode all 3rd tho. Ridiculous actually.  If not for 3 or 4 posts we lose this one. Pav was good but... 4 goals for a game and we should win. He's the same goalie he's been for 5 or 6 seasons. Nothing changed 

Edited by Goalie

We haven't been winning because of Pav at all, but tonight he gets credit where credit is due. .927 on 40 shots is all you can ask for. Stopped Benn on the breakaway, made a couple big ones near the end and ultimately gave us a chance to win. Sustainable? absolutely not, but for now we have a pulse.

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

not for me,  I picked the leafs to win on my pro line, though montreal blew it for me already my other 4 picks were right,  figured with st.louis canning hitchcock they'd be in disarray,   woulda won me $1103 :*(

twenty dollar bet?

3 minutes ago, Judd said:

We haven't been winning because of Pav at all, but tonight he gets credit where credit is due. .927 on 40 shots is all you can ask for. Stopped Benn on the breakaway, made a couple big ones near the end and ultimately gave us a chance to win. Sustainable? absolutely not, but for now we have a pulse.

Huge save for us....two man advantage and 29 coughs up the puck and Benn has a breadaway.....Pavs makes the save and scheifele thanks him by scoring and it is 3-2 Jets instead of 3-2 Stars. Turning point of the game if you ask me.

edit ... 39/42 = .929 sv%

Edited by Ducky

2 minutes ago, Judd said:

He was good. But agreed. It's not sustainable at all. You saw what happened when we couldn't score 4 plus vs SJ and Anaheim.  We lost. 

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

Huge save for us....two man advantage and 29 coughs up the puck and Benn has a breadaway.....Pavs makes the save and scheifele thanks him by scoring and it is 3-2 Jets instead of 3-2 Stars. Turning point of the game if you ask me.

edit ... 39/42 = .929 sv%

Does he need to make that turning point save tho if he makes the save on the 2nd Dallas goal or even 3rd one? He was good but... 6 years of evidence should be enough. 

4 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Pav's been playing as well as he normally does and has been a big part of the last 2 wins (i think helle was in net for win 1 vs chi) Our D however has had some awful stretches with the inability to clear the puck and turning it over in our zone, they need to fix that ****

Yeah our D zone play as a whole is pretty awful and they Def need to fix that.  Scoring 4 plus a game to win isn't sustainable. Once the scoring dries up.. it will... we won't win as much 

Listening to Maurice last games pregame interview he said something along the lines of the team won't win all 30 of the games remaining and the key is not to get to discouraged by the losses,  I thought at the time and still think that is such BS mentality. You play each game to win, and should believe you can win. I hope the team now that they finally got that 3rd win in a row can keep it up and change that thinking

Jets i think got lucky with a couple of things.

First they bring up Pav who might not be great but he's consistent.

Next the schedule. ..

Coyotes, Blues, Sharks, Ducks, Sharks, Blackhawks(in Chicago), Blues, Stars, Avs,

Bad team, bad goaltending, good team, our nemesis, always win there wtf, bad goaltending, bad goaltending, bad team

I see 6-2 there.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I think another reason is that Armia and Matthias came back for the 2nd game of two in a row against Vancouver and they are playing with fairly consistent lines. It probably took them a couple of weeks to settle in and get their lines down and they also started to get more days off to practice and rest as well. I know Maurice has moved Copp WAY up but he doesn't look that out of place there and MP should see some timeon the 4th to give him a message.

I like the looks of a MP-Petan-Staf as a 4th line a lot better than with Thorbs on it and I bet they see more time if Maurice goes with that as his 4th line. I think Staf will play next game, too.

Edited by Ducky

9 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I think another reason is that Armia and Matthias came back for the 2nd game of two in a row against Vancouver and they are playing with fairly consistent lines. It probably took them a couple of weeks to settle in and get their lines down and they also started to get more days off to practice and rest as well. I know Maurice has moved Copp WAY up but he doesn't look that out of place there and MP should see some timeon the 4th to give him a message.

I like the looks of a MP-Petan-Staf as a 4th line a lot better than with Thorbs on it and I bet they see more time if Maurice goes with that as his 4th line. I think Staf will play next game, too.

Forgot to say, this will probably mean that Tanev goes down.

Pavs was very good.  I think what Pavs has been providing that the other goalies havent is his propensity for the ridiculous save, which he makes 1-3 times per game.  Sometimes its because of his style (ie. being out of position).   Sometimes he just makes a great save (the breakaway) due to his athleticism.  I dont think anyone said he wasnt very very athletic.  That's his style.  And in the short term, it seems great.  In the long term we know Pavs might have a long highlight reel but will have below average stats.

But, from a pyshcological point of view, those big saves probably fuel the Jets' players more than a boring, consistent style.  If Helle had the exact same stats because he didnt let in the bad goals but didnt save the crazy ones, people would say its the goaltending.  And maybe the skaters would be more deflated.  There might be more of an acceptance that sure, Pavs will let it one bad goal per game, maybe two, but he will bail us out when we screw up so we wont hold it against him - just score 4 - goals and we'll win.

At this point you have to keep playing him.

Armia should be in the press box or on the fourth line when Stafford returns.  Maybe his injury is still affecting him, maybe not... doesn't really matter.  He's not playing well at all.  There's no point in keeping him on the roster when he's so ineffective.  Bottom six should be...

Perreault - Petan - Stafford

Matthias - Lowry - Thorburn/Armia

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

If Jets win pav is the man... if they lose its because the team sucks. Is that how it works? 

Replace "Pav" with "Helle" and that's been your logic for the whole year so I don't know why you suddenly have an issue with it.