Game 51 : Great White @ Great White North

7 hours ago, Floyd said:

Yup... but if Stuart plays disciplined hockey, no way that pass gets through...  everyone staring at the puck like a peewee team.

We have one real defenceman - Josh Morrissey...  Trouba and Buff play 'rover'.

I'm certainly no Stuart fan, but I have to place most of the blame on Trouba, for that goal; he was way out of position.  And Laine could have done a better job picking up the trailer. 

We've had a few goals against, recently, where the forwards have been pretty lackadaisical coming back to help out.  Not a good sign.

I'm not one to blame the refs... and I don't "blame" them for this loss... but that penalty shot was one of the worst calls I've seen in a while... that would've been a borderline slashing call.... honestly looked like a pretty good defensive play to me...

The no-goal... seems like we were probably just the victims of a premature whistle... not much you can do about that...

21 minutes ago, bearpants said:

I'm not one to blame the refs... and I don't "blame" them for this loss... but that penalty shot was one of the worst calls I've seen in a while... that would've been a borderline slashing call.... honestly looked like a pretty good defensive play to me...

The no-goal... seems like we were probably just the victims of a premature whistle... not much you can do about that...

It was stick on stick. You could actually hear it lol. Brutal call. Pav probably should have skated 3 feet and played the puck away tho 

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Penalty Shot, too deep in his net.

A couple of my buddies were saying the same thing..

How far out you want him to be. He was st the top or slightly outside the crease when the shot was taken. If he were any farther out, he would have been easily deked and then everyone would be saying he was too far out. No matter what Goalie says, he isn't to blame for that goal...

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

A couple of my buddies were saying the same thing..

How far out you want him to be. He was st the top or slightly outside the crease when the shot was taken. If he were any farther out, he would have been easily deked and then everyone would be saying he was too far out. No matter what Goalie says, he isn't to blame for that goal...

Same as Helle was not to blame for those goals against Arizona...  but you seem ready to lay everything on him.

Pavs played that Penalty shot in typical Jets goalie fashion...  'deep' in the net, low glove, butterfly

Just wasting time playing him now.  Get Helle back in permanently and let him develop since he's already here

Who isn't a butterfly goalie nowadays?

Any further out and he gets deked outta his skates. I don't think Pavs is the saviour and have never said he was. I was elated when he got sent down. I couldn't believe the team had the balls...wrong move in hindsight but 20/20 and all that.

Show me where I said give up on Helle? I have CONSTANTLY said I think he is the goalie of the future. I have never said goaltending is the only issue no matter how many times you say that I said that.....but you'll keep saying it because that's your style. Same as firing Maurice....keep on saying it though, it ain't happening during the season no matter how many times you post it. Goaltending is the single biggest thing the Jets have to fix right now though. With Hutch's W%, we wouldn't win 30 games if we played him every game of the season. 4-10-3 doesn't cut it. Should not dress again. Improve our goaltending by .005 and we are in the playoffs. Two goalies under .900 and one barely over isn't good enough. Chevy needs to get a vet goalie this off-season when he looking around for D men.

Edited by Ducky

10 hours ago, Floyd said:

Yup... but if Stuart plays disciplined hockey, no way that pass gets through... 

Well did it cost Stuart his job cause they called up Strait :)

3 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Penalty Shot, too deep in his net.

Disagree big time. Pav seemed too far out and not ready for the penalty shot but where he was when it was shot was the best possible position. In fact he would have been embarrassed if he had been deeked.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

I'd say Matthias was the big free agent splash and all in all, I'd say he's been pretty good. 

Penalty Shots are Penalty shots, Pav played that 1 fine, might have been 2 deep when the shot was taken but was a nice shot. I never blamed him for the goal there, i blamed him for not coming 3 feet out of his net to play the puck when he had the chance to before trouba "slashed" the san jose player. On a penalty shot, you want to be farther out of the net, make the guy make a nice move to beat you really, the idea is to limit his options but because PAV was a bit to deep in the net when the shot was taken and even before hand, the san jose player had a bunch of options, decided to fire it pretty much right at Pavs glove, Pav missed it. It happens but... i thought he played it fine other than maybe being 2 deep in the net when the shot was actually taken. Come out, cut down the angle, it's not like the san jose player went bar down or picked a corner or anything, he made a pretty basic shot at the glove hand, Pav missed. It is what it is. Hard to blame him for that one. But it probably should have been stopped. I mean, that's the moment in the game where you need the goalie to make the big save, garbage call, penalty shot, make the save really, huge turning point. If Pav stopped it, perhaps the Jets get a point at least... I dunno, i actually thought the burns goal was the weak one, seeing as how nobody was in front of pavelec and it pretty much went right through his 5 hole. 

Edited by Goalie

15 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why? It was a crap call but it didn't cost us the game.  Pav could have made a save there. You know on 2 goals tonight our D men were on the same side of the ice leaving the opposite side wide open? Why not blame D zone play or blame Pav even for being out goalied. 

too many bad calls

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

It was stick on stick. You could actually hear it lol. Brutal call. Pav probably should have skated 3 feet and played the puck away tho 

If they had called that a slash... I would've thought it was a bad call... but I can live with that... to call it a penalty shot was insane...

He had a step on Trouba, any penalty should be a penalty shot.

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

I'd say Matthias was the big free agent splash and all in all, I'd say he's been pretty good. 

Penalty Shots are Penalty shots, Pav played that 1 fine, might have been 2 deep when the shot was taken but was a nice shot. I never blamed him for the goal there, i blamed him for not coming 3 feet out of his net to play the puck when he had the chance to before trouba "slashed" the san jose player. On a penalty shot, you want to be farther out of the net, make the guy make a nice move to beat you really, the idea is to limit his options but because PAV was a bit to deep in the net when the shot was taken and even before hand, the san jose player had a bunch of options, decided to fire it pretty much right at Pavs glove, Pav missed it. It happens but... i thought he played it fine other than maybe being 2 deep in the net when the shot was actually taken. Come out, cut down the angle, it's not like the san jose player went bar down or picked a corner or anything, he made a pretty basic shot at the glove hand, Pav missed. It is what it is. Hard to blame him for that one. But it probably should have been stopped. I mean, that's the moment in the game where you need the goalie to make the big save, garbage call, penalty shot, make the save really, huge turning point. If Pav stopped it, perhaps the Jets get a point at least... I dunno, i actually thought the burns goal was the weak one, seeing as how nobody was in front of pavelec and it pretty much went right through his 5 hole. 

How far in front of the blue should he have been?

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

It's irrelevant since you will go to great depths to not blame the worst starting goalie in the nhl the last 5 seasons 

If Helle had played the exact same games as Pavs last four, Ducky would have him in the press box.

22 minutes ago, Ducky said:

It was an honest question....he was at the edge of the crease or just in front.....should he have been out more?

As per previous post I thought he was too far out to begin with. Good position. Need to focus on the people who did not cover their guys on goals 2/4,

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

4 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

As per previous post I thought he was too far out to begin with. Good position. Need to focus on the people who did not cover their guys on goals 2/4,

I disagree.  You come out to cut the angle.  It's basic goaltending 101. He was a little deep when the shot was taken but a good goalie should make that save. We lost by 1 so what about goal 1? He should have stopped that. Goals 2 and 4.. Pav doesn't even notice that a pass happens until the puck is in the net... he was slow reading the play. 

Edited by Goalie