Adjusting Rules for 2017

BigBlue

I am about the only one who doesn't mind the PI/contacting enforcement. Now enforce holding. I enjoy good defence to. 

Scrap reviews altogether. Reffing is done by humans and humans make mistakes. At speed and at field level you simply cannot catch every penalty. 

I would also like to see more protection for all players and not just the QB. I saw a lot of head shots and shots blow the knees (not tripping/shoestring tackles) this year that just makes me cringe. Dessler first went out on a vicious head shot this year.

There is no problem with how no yards was called this year or any other year. Yeah they missed some but that happens. I surely do not want to see that sissy fair catch rule here. One of the many things about the NFL that makes it so .... Sleep inducing.

The points awarded on a safety are just fine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On December 7, 2016 at 0:43 PM, BBlink said:

I'm just wondering if the CFL can handle its ADD enough to be able to keep the same rules for 2 consecutive years.

I agree and I wish the CFL was in a position to pump the brakes on all the rule changes. Maybe the players would be able to adapt to the rules if they aren't changing every year.

However, if there are going to be some tweaks I'd like to see them getting away from the fishing expeditions. Coaches shouldn't be able to challenge an infraction that occurs away from the ball. If the officials missed it during live action then too bad. 

If the league is dead set on making changes then the rule I'd like them to get rid of is the push out rule. Players should have at least one foot in bounds for it to be deemed a catch. The game has swung too much in favour of receivers. I'd like to see Loffler knock a player out of bounds to nullify a catch. 

1. Get rid of the challenging of plays away from the ball, like for example, you can't challenge pass interference on Dressler if the ball was thrown to smith on the other side of the field, has nothing to do with the play, That needs to stop.

2. Put a 60 second clock on the replay system, if in 60 seconds you can't determine if it's a penalty or not, the call on the field stands. 

That's about all I'd do. And maybe, just maybe, if you lose a challenge, not only do you lose a timeout but you also get a delay of game penalty and a 10 yard penalty on the play let's say. 

PI should be blatant also and obvious. None of this chincy stuff that they call some games and don't call other games. Other than that, Just leave it be... 

Edited by Goalie

15 minutes ago, Goalie said:

2. Put a 60 second clock on the replay system, if in 60 seconds you can't determine if it's a penalty or not, the call on the field stands. 

This would work well for TSN too... they could throw in a 60 sec commercial break (b/c let's be honest, they'd use the whole 60 sec whether they need it or not) and when the broadcast resumes we're ready to hear the call and proceed with the game...

On 12/14/2016 at 4:06 PM, Mr Dee said:

Well, as near as I can figure it, if the defence and STs hold the opposing offence enough to warrant the opposing team conceding a safety, then that is their reward. 

Lets go through this together - 2 points is > 1 point BUT is < 3 points which is the reward for a successful FG attempt.

Now, why in the name of #screamingbluejeebees would you want to give 3 points for a safety? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. As a Coach, you have a choice, put in plays to move the ball, concede the safety or put it in your kicker's foot and STs tackles, and your defence. As a fan I've seen it work in every category imaginable, and it's unique and totally CFL. I love it.

Take the 2- point safety out of the game?  Might as well give automatic 7 points for TDs.      You know, to reward the offence...

Ranting and raving without the thought process engaged ... the reason has been clearly outlined .... and a reward of only two points for 40  or 50 yards of field position is not enough of a reward for all that good work ... earn your way out of a hole

1 hour ago, BigBlue said:

Ranting and raving without the thought process engaged ... the reason has been clearly outlined .... and a reward of only two points for 40  or 50 yards of field position is not enough of a reward for all that good work ... earn your way out of a hole

Well, I don't think you're ranting and raving, but I can't even award you 2 points for your failed "point" attempt.