Obama: We Will Put Humans On Mars By 2030's

CNN story penned by President Obama.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/11/opinions/america-will-take-giant-leap-to-mars-barack-obama/index.html

We have set a clear goal vital to the next chapter of America's story in space: sending humans to Mars by the 2030s and returning them safely to Earth, with the ultimate ambition to one day remain there for an extended time. Getting to Mars will require continued cooperation between government and private innovators, and we're already well on our way. Within the next two years, private companies will for the first time send astronauts to the International Space Station.

I love this stuff.  I remember Bush had set the goal to get to the Moon again and onto Mars and Obama cancelled it.  Sort of a weird announcement for the last month of his Presidency but I guess its one of those feel good things that he can shrug off when the next President doesnt deliver.

Either way...damn it, let's get on with it.  I want to see humans walking on Mars!

Meh, this is means nothing.  He's only prez for a couple more weeks, he can say whatever he wants.

Plus, I'm not a huge pusher for us walking on Mars.  If we do, big whoop.  How does that solve any of the problems we're facing down here on Earth?  Mars is a dead planet.

16 minutes ago, basslicker said:

Meh, this is means nothing.  He's only prez for a couple more weeks, he can say whatever he wants.

Plus, I'm not a huge pusher for us walking on Mars.  If we do, big whoop.  How does that solve any of the problems we're facing down here on Earth?  Mars is a dead planet.

Space exploration isnt just about the end result.  In fact its probably less about the end result than anything else.  There are direct and indirect results of investment and efforts in space exploration including technological advancement and international cooperation.  Besides the fact that Mars may not be a dead planet and there is scientific curiosity and development reasons to go there.  There is also opportunity for study of human physiology and the effects of low gravity etc.

if humanity as a species continues for many many years, we must continue to push our technological limits.  Even if Mars is dead and presents no tangible value, at some point, something out there could be of value.  We have to walk before we can run.

I bet you'll be just as enthralled by the first video of humans walking on Mars as the rest of us...when it finally happens.

Think of how much we got from going to the moon in terms of new innovation.  We should have been going to Mars already.  Think of the trillions that have been wasted "fighting" man-made climate change (to no effect apparently) that could have been spent on a mission to Mars.  Much better money spent on that.

If Hillary wants to continue this dream and go to Mars, then I support her in that.  Cut the funding to the EPA, give it to the space program.

3 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Think of how much we got from going to the moon in terms of new innovation.  We should have been going to Mars already.  Think of the trillions that have been wasted "fighting" man-made climate change (to no effect apparently) that could have been spent on a mission to Mars.  Much better money spent on that.

If Hillary wants to continue this dream and go to Mars, then I support her in that.  Cut the funding to the EPA, give it to the space program.

Agreed 100%.  I dont recall numbers but I remember seeing the budget allocation for NASA under Bush's plan and it was a fraction of that which was spent on wars.  Obama cancelled the plan.  I dont mind the idea of pushing private enterprise to develop technology but its probably true that should the federal government truly invest in going to Mars, that they'd have the resources to get it done ASAP and the technological spinoff would be significant.  It is, after all, only money.

2 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

what if we discover aliens, would the government cover it up or will we be enlightened with the mind blowing news?

I guess it depends on what you believe.  Either the government is already aware of the existence of intelligent alien life or not.  And whether you believe the development of life on earth, especially humans, was an accident of massive proportions or is something that would be common around the universe.

I think NASA would absolutely release details pertaining to the discovery of microbial life as they have done so.  The bigger question would be, if they found evidence of a past civilization on Mars, would they be able to release it or would the government restrict it?

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I guess it depends on what you believe.  Either the government is already aware of the existence of intelligent alien life or not.  And whether you believe the development of life on earth, especially humans, was an accident of massive proportions or is something that would be common around the universe.

I think NASA would absolutely release details pertaining to the discovery of microbial life as they have done so.  The bigger question would be, if they found evidence of a past civilization on Mars, would they be able to release it or would the government restrict it?

thats an interesting point, does what ever government that gets their first or discovers it get dibs on the rights? you would think interplanetary regulation would have no specific government claim

5 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

thats an interesting point, does what ever government that gets their first or discovers it get dibs on the rights? you would think interplanetary regulation would have no specific government claim

There are international agreements in place that dictate that no nation can claim anything in space.  It doesnt much matter when it comes to the Moon or Mars but if we discover something that has value (like say, a giant planet made of Diamond or massive stockpiles of oil or gas under the surface of Neptune or whatever) and are able to retrieve it, it will be interesting to see what happens.  I imagine the "friendly" nations would agree to split it.  But if China gets there...look out.

54 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Of course there is life on Mars!!

total-recall-1990-kuato.jpg

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

The Martian was a pretty good movie, I'd be interested in seeing the real-life version.  Not sure we could ever live on the surface of Mars, but perhaps underground.

as long as Kohagen gives us air to breathe!  OK I'm done with the Total Recall stuff. :)

It would be cool to see humans walking around on Mars in our life times.  What a huge achievement if it is actually possible.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

9 hours ago, basslicker said:

"Ah, the Earth is flat!!! He'll just fall off the edge of the Earth. What a waste of money exploration is. Nothing exists past the horizon. I always thought Chris was a nutbar claiming the Earth is round." So said Enrique Valdez, the neighbourhood know it all who lived 2 doors down from Christopher Columbus. Good thing no one listened to him.