Everything posted by StevetheClub
-
Playing With Pokemans
I think being critical is great, and I also don't see a point in people denying the main reason they play, which is because it's fun (I assume). I mean, you're right, if weight loss was their primary goal then this is a pretty poor way of going about it. At the same time, any expert will tell you that walking is better than not walking regardless of how much, how long, and at what pace. I'm just saying it does have benefits and I don't see why people would be negative about it. As for the mental health piece, in no way am I going to speak to your experience, because I definitely think you know yourself best and I applaud whatever you do on your path to better mental health. I will say that for some people insight is healing and for some behavioural approaches are, and most people will be most helped by a combination of the two. While playing this game isn't guaranteed to improve everyone's mood or experience of anxiety, it certainly can, and there's solid research to back that up. But again, I fully support people doing what they know to be best for themselves, I just don't see why other people (and maybe I'm misunderstanding you and you are not one of these people) have to be so negative about it.
- Playing With Pokemans
-
Playing With Pokemans
And I've had people ask me if I play to start conversation when they don't have their phone out and I've seen kids out in our street walking innocently with their phones who I've never seen out before. I've also talked to parents who rarely go out with their kids go out and hunt Pokemon together. Oh yeah, I've also read lots of articles and blogs about and by people who are socializing like they've never before, losing weight, and improving their mental health. With anything this popular you're going to have the idiots, but I've read, seen, and experienced far more good than bad. The inexplicable hate boggles my mind too...
-
Does a blow out at home Thursday get MOS fired?
Agreed. Increasingly keeping O'Shea is looking like throwing good money after bad and if things continue as they are I don't think he should last the season.
-
GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg
The mentally destroyed QB is one of the problems, so we should get rid of him and address the other issues. I would actually argue that while other areas of the team have improved (still work to be done, of course), Willy has regressed.
-
GDT: Edmonton @ Winnipeg
And that is a well-articulated argument as to why his time as our starting QB is up.
- Playing With Pokemans
-
Mike Riley accounting for a wrong....
To be honest, I thought it was a little unfortunate that this element of the story seemed to be overshadowed by Riley rather than the other way around, so thank you for posting this.
-
Random News Items
It's mentioned numerous times throughout the report that the type of material found is consistent with material that is used "to lower the inhibitions of their intended victims and facilitate the molestation of said victims". I haven't done near enough research to take a position on the case, but if the documents are legitimate than that is awful concerning.
-
Surprise Surprise
Which beliefs are those?
-
Game 83 Jets @ Draft Lottery
I could be wrong, but I don't believe it does. I think it means under 18, but as of a set date.
-
hefney signs 1-day contract, retires a bomber
I'll be honest. After the way Hefney left this was my first response too and i think a valid question. After reading the Tait article, though, it's good to hear he looks back fondly at his time here. He was a great one in his time.
-
Education and Teachers
Totally fair. The same could be said for most unionized workplaces; I know it could be for mine.
-
Education and Teachers
Couldn't agree more. I don't know enough to have a stand on unions in general but it definitely seems (admittedly from the outside) that in some professions, like teaching, unions can sometimes protect poor workers. I work in a field in which I often either hear about the impact of or interact directly with teachers and there are many who I think should be paid more and many who I think should find a new job. In a lot of ways teachers are co-parents and I think that when they embody that role - which many do - they earn every penny; the problem is there are too many that don't and they are far too secure in their jobs.
-
Canadian Politics
I can see what you mean on the carbon tax, I'm also in favour of calling things what they are. I'm in favour of the economics of it, not the rhetoric. I do think they should be given credit for a measured response, which is particularly difficult in times of crisis. I will agree the boat is upside down.
-
Canadian Politics
Agreed. With respect to the bolded, I would include mental health staff who could respond to mental health issues that don't require forming (i.e., significant risk is not an issue).
-
Canadian Politics
I've been happy with the NDP government so far. Don't get me wrong, they haven't been perfect, but I do think they are doing a good job in a rough situation. What you see as "half measures" I see as being responsible; agree to disagree. With respect to carbon tax, if the money goes where it should it sounds like a good idea to me and I have no problem with it being revenue neutral. I have no problem with rebates for those with lower incomes. "Take money from the people with more and give it to people with less" (which is hardly an exclusively socialist practice) oversimplifies its purpose for the sake of derisively drawing unfair socialist parallels. As for public service wages, I agree (this coming from an AHS employee).
-
Canadian Politics
I'll be honest, I don't follow politics terribly closely, but I do try to keep informed. So far what I've seen is the NDP doing a good job at making the best of a horrible situation (that they had no part in) and setting us up so we can manage these situations better in the future. I guess I keep asking myself, "would we be better off if any of the other parties were in power?" and I don't think we would be.
-
Fighting In Hockey
While I agree with TUP that it oversimplifies a complex situation to say "they knew what they were getting themselves into so too bad for them", I think there are better arguments. That being said, I do think it's a systemic issue but I don't have the energy or time to get into that so I won't. One, when I think of hockey at it's best, when it's appointment viewing and the rest of the world stops while I watch, I think of international tournaments and the playoffs. In both, I think, you see hockey the way it was meant to be played, with speed, skill, and little to no fighting. I want less fighting, I'd even be fine with no fighting, so I can watch more hockey like that. Second, I firmly believe (biased, perhaps) Laroque when he says that the vast majority of fighters with they don't want to fight. I take that to mean that they would rather be in the league for their hockey skills rather than their fighting skills. I think that is very telling and indicates to me that hockey, at its purist, is about skating and stick-handling, goals and assists, and not what you do with your fists. For those of you in favour of fighting, I would be very interested in how you would define hockey IQ prior to this conversation if asked. I would be very surprised (though I could be wrong) that if unprompted, that fighting or references to it would be a part of your response. All this being said, I do find fighting entertaining, but I think that's what it is: entertainment. I know some of you will argue fighting's place on that basis and that fine. It's not that it doesn't have any value - I know it can get a team and a crowd going (I'm not convinced it does anything to clean up the game) - it's just that I think I'm ready to watch real hockey and not something that needs fighting to make it more entertaining.
-
Random News Items
It's my understanding, and in my opinion rightly so, that physicians can refuse to be involved.
-
Random News Items
I know. You shared your thoughts, I shared mine. I'm happy to have more of a conversation about it or we can agree to disagree, either works for me.
-
Random News Items
It looks like what happened spurred a conversation that will hopefully be the first steps in transforming what has been a place so many people avoid to a place where a sense of community could develop. That sounds good to me.
-
Mass Shootings San Bernardino
Found Dr. Sanjay Gupta: The epidemic of gun violence is treatable also enlightening.
-
Mass Shootings San Bernardino
A very good point I was trying to construct but you've articulated it better. I think motivation is of primary importance. In a lot of ways those who are radicalized are people who already struggle and just found a cause to attach their own struggle to. See this for a good, though short, interview on the profile of mass killers. I think, given the profile, why interventions such as the CureViolence approach find such success.
-
Canadian Politics
If you're actually interested in moving forward on a conversation about it then great, I'd just ask that you leave the name-calling behind.