Return Of The Jets Day

Also known as Darren Ford Day :P  ("Polar Bears.  Powder Blue Jerseys"). I remember it fondly.  It was vindication for being called crazy for so many years when I'd calmly and rationally explain why and how the NHL would return.

I also fondly remember season ticket day.  I was driving to Saskatoon so listened to CJOB until the border (and even then the SK radio stations were all discussing it).  Loved listening to Geoff Currier have to kiss ass of True North and Jets fans after spending about 5-8 years insulting anyone who suggested the NHL could return and spewing lies and mis-information repeatedly on his show.  For that reason alone, Im glad CJOB didnt get the Jets rights.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Would have preferred Moose myself. Brown uni's!

Really?  I think that was my least favorite choice.  Well...Polar Bears is pretty bad too.

I remember arguing strongly in favor of Jets and the anti-Jets crowd had some goofy reasoning against it (no one will buy any merch if they have the same name)...

I honestly didn't care what the name would be but it was pretty obvious the only real option was JETS. People were chanting Go Jets Go on the streets of portage, you can't ignore that. 

Would I have been pissed off if they chose the name Bears (It was never Polar Bears) It was Manitoba Bears and the Bear logo would have been that of a Polar Bear. If it looked anything like the Moose Polar Bear Jerseys did, I'd have been more than fine with that but reality, the only real option and True North can go on about oh we thought about this name and that name and whatever name, It was never gonna be anything other than the Jets. 

Lots of those rumors of the names were just coming from people who really didn't have a clue. It was Jets all along and it was the only real option. 

I might have been ok with a different name tho, Cuz quite frankly, i think for some reason theres a segment of the population who think this version of the Jets is the same version that was here before. They aren't. A name change would have helped that.  Teemu Selanee,Hawerchuk, whoever else you can think of, Hull, they never played for this FRANCHISE. They played in this city but the franchise they played for is in Arizona. 

Edited by Goalie

I dont think if they were called Bears or anything else it would cause people to suddenly forget about the Jets 1.0 players.  Thats the real stupidity of how the NHL handles relocations is that the history *should* stay with the city or at least be transferred back if the city regains a franchise and wants it back. 

Some would say it doesnt matter at all.  But realistically it does from a marketing perspective.  The Jets are going to star marketing the former Jets shortly and its silly that the franchise records, ring of honour etc are in Arizona.  And from that perspective Arizona shouldnt want it anyway.

I strongly believe it "wasnt always" Jets as you say.  I agree Jets is the name that made the most sense but I know Moose was strongly considered.  I think Zinger even confirmed that he wanted to keep the Moose name.  Bears came out due to Chipman's love of the Bears.  Not sure they'd get that one past the Bruins though.

Had also heard that Chipman didnt feel any emotional connection to "Jets" but made the decision based on the overwhelming desire of Winnipeggers.  He has said he would only consider it if the name could actually connect to Winnipeg in a meaningful way and not just be the name the first owner chose because he liked the New York Jets.  And thus, the deal with the Air Force for the logo.