Expansion Draft

Ducky

What the Jets could do is ask Enstrom to waive his NMC for the expansion draft. I doubt he would be picked at his salary and only one year left on his contract.

Buff, Trouba and Myers protected with Enstrom not protected.

Helle

Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry Armia Copp Dano...am I missing anyone?

We'd probably lose Stu (2.625m caphit with 1.75m actual salary and a leader) or Petan (most likely).

MP would be an upcoming UFA so I wouldn't protect him as he would become an UFA right after the expansion draft.

I can't see Vegas wanting Enstrom when there will be younger D men signed for longer terms for less.

Cut a deal, if Vegas wants Armia or Dano or Copp, leave them available.

We are going to lose someone anyway and it is going to be a 3-4 line player or a 3rd pairing D man, not the end of the world.

Which is why you make a deal beforehand with Vegas that they don't take him....also, you might be underestimating the number of D men that will be available.

Who do the Isles leave unprotected? The Sens? The Ducks will lose a D man if they don't lose a quality goalie. TVR from the Hawks (possibly Pokka) will probably be picked. Plenty of quality D men will more than likely be available than an old-timer with one year on his contract....I'd bet a low 4th or a 5th to Vegas for not picking Enstrom should do it....there'll a good young forward available for them anyway.

Vegas will get two good goalies and some not bad D men.

General Fanager has a pretty good mock expansion tool if you have the patience to go through every team to figure out their protectees, then draft the leftovers for Las Vegas.  

Of course rosters will change a lot between now and the expansion draft.  Can't see many UFAs getting a NMC this off season.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

For the Jets, I would protect:

F:  Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Lowry

D:  Byfuglien, Engstrom, Myers, Trouba

G:  Hellebuyck

Likely lose one of Burmi, Copp, Dano, Armia.

If one of those guys has a breakout season next year, could swap one of them for Lowry.

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

General Fanager has a pretty good mock expansion tool if you have the patience to go through every team to figure out their protectees, then draft the leftovers for Las Vegas.  

Of course rosters will change a lot between now and the expansion draft.  Can't see many UFAs getting a NMC this off season.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/expansion

For the Jets, I would protect:

F:  Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Lowry

D:  Byfuglien, Engstrom, Myers, Trouba

G:  Hellebuyck

Likely lose one of Burmi, Copp, Dano, Armia.

If one of those guys has a breakout season next year, could swap one of them for Lowry.

Not bad. Jets are lucky in the key talent that isn't eligible and doesn't need protecting. If it was 2018 draft we'd have issues 

I'd trade Enstrom 

Protect 1 3 7 

Helle 

Buff Trouba Myers 

Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry Perreault ( new deal) one of Dano or Armia *whoever has the better year or even both. 

Lose one of Hutch. Stuart. Burmi Thorburn pretty much 

Burmi is rfa tho so who knows.  But it won't be anyone overly significant 

Of that group I could see Stuart being taken. Veteran presence and has a decent cap hit to help Vegas hit the floor. 

If Toby waives his NMC which is possible I'd assume they would take him since 5.75 for 1 year helps them even more. 

I can't see them protecting 30 something enstrom with 1 year left on his deal. 

Edited by Goalie

16 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'd trade Enstrom 

Protect 1 3 7 

Helle 

Buff Trouba Myers 

Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry Perreault ( new deal) one of Dano or Armia *whoever has the better year or even both. 

Of that group I could see Stuart being taken. Veteran presence and has a decent cap hit to help Vegas hit the floor. 

If Toby waives his NMC which is possible I'd assume they would take him since 5.75 for 1 year helps them even more. 

I agree with most of this but I'd ask Enstrom to waive his NMC for the draft.

Helle Buff Trouba Myers Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry Armia Dano Copp.

Thorbs and Burmi and Stuart and Postma and Hutch fill the requirements.

I wouldn't protect Perreault because he becomes a free agent a couple of weeks after the draft. If you want to re-sign him, have a deal in place and the day he becomes an UFA, he signs immediately. Vegas won't take him if he is to become an UFA a couple of weeks after they draft him.

Vegas will have lots of D men to choose from, they won't take Enstrom and you can always cut a deal with them and send a pick to them for not taking him. You can also cut a deal that says "you draft that LHD and not take Enstrom from us and we will give you a 2nd round pick (or whatever) for that LHD"....it has been done before.

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I'd trade Enstrom 

Protect 1 3 7 

Helle 

Buff Trouba Myers 

Problem with trading Enstrom is most other teams aren't likely going to want to acquire another D-man, especially since they would be forced to protect him.  And those that would take him would have to get Toby's blessing with his NMC.  PLUS if you don't get a top 4 DMan back in a trade, we take a hit in our top 4 D next season.  If you do get a DMan back for Toby, you are right where you started.  So slim chance of him being traded IMO.

Jets lucked out with the timing here a little bit.  We can protect 4-D and not lose a very significant forward.  A year later and players like Ehlers would have to be protected, forcing us to only protect 3 D.

24 minutes ago, Goalie said:

What has Dano and Armia done at this point to warrant being protected?  It's probably one or the other. 

Not sure what you man here....I have listed 7 forwards....you mean one or both should be unprotected and someone i didn't mention should be protected?

Edited by Ducky

15 minutes ago, Rich said:

Problem with trading Enstrom is most other teams aren't likely going to want to acquire another D-man, especially since they would be forced to protect him.  And those that would take him would have to get Toby's blessing with his NMC.  PLUS if you don't get a top 4 DMan back in a trade, we take a hit in our top 4 D next season.  If you do get a DMan back for Toby, you are right where you started.  So slim chance of him being traded IMO.

Jets lucked out with the timing here a little bit.  We can protect 4-D and not lose a very significant forward.  A year later and players like Ehlers would have to be protected, forcing us to only protect 3 D.

wouldn't a year later mean Enstrom would be off the books or would Morrissey have to be protected...I do agree that a year later would be harder for the Jets though. Ehlers, Petan and Comrie would not be exempt.........not sure about Morrissey.

1 minute ago, Ducky said:

wouldn't a year later mean Enstrom would be off the books or would Morrissey have to be protected...I do agree that a year later would be harder for the Jets though. Ehlers, Petan and Comrie would not be exempt.........not sure about Morrissey.

Morrissey would need protecting too. He's been a pro for a year now. 

Just now, Ducky said:

Morrissey would have to be protected.  He will have finished his 2nd year as a pro for this expansion.  Year after that, he would be eligible under these rules.  Petan as well.  Petan isn't even a regular NHLer yet though.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

I agree with most of this but I'd ask Enstrom to waive his NMC for the draft.

Helle Buff Trouba Myers Scheif Wheeler Little Lowry Armia Dano Copp.

Thorbs and Burmi and Stuart and Postma and Hutch fill the requirements.

I wouldn't protect Perreault because he becomes a free agent a couple of weeks after the draft. If you want to re-sign him, have a deal in place and the day he becomes an UFA, he signs immediately. Vegas won't take him if he is to become an UFA a couple of weeks after they draft him.

Vegas will have lots of D men to choose from, they won't take Enstrom and you can always cut a deal with them and send a pick to them for not taking him. You can also cut a deal that says "you draft that LHD and not take Enstrom from us and we will give you a 2nd round pick (or whatever) for that LHD"....it has been done before.

Thorbs doesn't qualify so I would substitute Petan in his place.