Wpg Sun - You be the boss survey

Just now, Jacquie said:

I thought teams couldn't buy out contracts anymore - that it only could be done when the last CBA came in. Anyone know if it can still be done?

It can be done but there is a cap penalty if you do, so it isn't done often.  

Where in the last CBA they let you buy out 2 contracts that wouldn't count against the cap.

I agree.  Jets wont buy him out.  Jets are cautious and even though we all think Helle has it in him to be #1, he started to suffer with the increased playing time before being sent down.  I think the Jets want some veteran insurance and Pavs is the guy because there is no point in spending more money.

To me the bigger question is what to do about Hutch.  Unless they trade Pavs and are confidence Hutch/Helle is the right tandem.

Most people and pundits tend to think the Jets are unlikely to make the playoffs again next year.  Even if you don't, many would argue that Pav isn't good enough for you to be a good playoff team.  With both of those in mind, this is the order I would try to deal with the goalies:

1. Trade Pav if you can.  Would even retain $1 - 2M for his last year if it makes him more attractive as a backup.
  2. Trade Hutch if you can.  You are probably only getting a 5 - 7th round pick for him.
  3. If you can't trade either of them, re-sign Hutch as an RFA and send him down at the end of training camp where he is less likely to be picked  up on waivers.  Let him backup Comrie for the year.  We've seen what Hutch can do.  I think an NHL backup is his ceiling, so I'm not so concerned about him getting less playing time with the Moose.  Comrie's development is more important.

I'm fine with either Helle/ Pav or Helle/ Hutch for next season.   Going back to Pav / Hutch would be pointless IMO.  Neither is the future and what more can Helle learn with the Moose.

Do you have the option of reassigning a "waiver eligible" player to the AHL before the season begins and avoid waivers?  You can in EA Sports game...lol

I agree with Rich.  If someone will take Pavs, sure.  But they will want to keep one of Pavs or Hutch.  If they keep both (which I think they will), they have to convince Hutch he's playing in the AHL.  Or they leave Helle down when he has certainly outgrown the Moose.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Do you have the option of reassigning a "waiver eligible" player to the AHL before the season begins and avoid waivers?  You can in EA Sports game...lol

I agree with Rich.  If someone will take Pavs, sure.  But they will want to keep one of Pavs or Hutch.  If they keep both (which I think they will), they have to convince Hutch he's playing in the AHL.  Or they leave Helle down when he has certainly outgrown the Moose.

Don't think so.  In fact, even if a player ends the year in the AHL, I believe he is considered back in the NHL to start the next season and must clear waivers if he is sent down again.

The Jets have about 20m in salary cap space.

Scheifele, Lowry, Trouba, Armia, Hutch, Tanev, Melchiori and Lipon are RFAs.

The bolded will probably be on the big team next year and their salaries will count towards the cap.

Scheif           7 m

Trouba         3 m

Lowry           1.5 m

Armia           1.5 m

Leaves them 7m under the cap.........seems like it's too high.

Was doing a Playoff Pool with some guys last night and it seemed the consensus in the room was the Jets would re-sign Ladd this off-season.  I disagreed but was shouted down lol.  The feeling is that he wont get the big money offers he is looking for and if other offers are similar to what the Jets would offer, he'd just as soon return to Winnipeg.

Which led to a greater discussion on what would happen with the captaincy if Ladd did come back.

Right from the day of the trade, even guys like Lawless weren't totally dismissing the idea of Ladd coming back.  I think he guessed a 10% chance at the time.  Unlikely, but who knows. We know the city and team are a good fit for him.  

However, I'm not sure he's a fit for us anymore.  We've gots of LW already, especially with Connor en route.  I see the stumbling block to a Ladd return as the same as it was all year; we'll happily pay what your worth, but not for 5 more years.

...Christ, if he did come back though... trade of the decade from our point of view. 

22 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Right from the day of the trade, even guys like Lawless weren't totally dismissing the idea of Ladd coming back.  I think he guessed a 10% chance at the time.  Unlikely, but who knows. We know the city and team are a good fit for him.  

However, I'm not sure he's a fit for us anymore.  We've gots of LW already, especially with Connor en route.  I see the stumbling block to a Ladd return as the same as it was all year; we'll happily pay what your worth, but not for 5 more years.

...Christ, if he did come back though... trade of the decade from our point of view. 

$4m per year.  How comfortable was he here, how comfortable is his family.  How much is it worth?  How bad is the pressure from the PA to go anywhere necessary to maximize the contract?

9 hours ago, Ducky said:

The Jets have about 20m in salary cap space.

Scheifele, Lowry, Trouba, Armia, Hutch, Tanev, Melchiori and Lipon are RFAs.

The bolded will probably be on the big team next year and their salaries will count towards the cap.

Scheif           7 m

Trouba         3 m

Lowry           1.5 m

Armia           1.5 m

Leaves them 7m under the cap.........seems like it's too high.

Scheif comes in lower.  Trouba comes in higher.

Jets might spend more forecasting contracts like Pavs, Stafford coming off the books.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

$4m per year.  How comfortable was he here, how comfortable is his family.  How much is it worth?  How bad is the pressure from the PA to go anywhere necessary to maximize the contract?

Ladd got 25g this year, that's 4.5-5m territory for his age.

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Scheif comes in lower.  Trouba comes in higher.

Jets might spend more forecasting contracts like Pavs, Stafford coming off the books.

They come off the books but Dano, Copp, Burmi, and Hellebuyck are all RFAs at that time and Perreault is an UFA.

On 4/6/2016 at 11:00 AM, Rich said:

Most people and pundits tend to think the Jets are unlikely to make the playoffs again next year.  Even if you don't, many would argue that Pav isn't good enough for you to be a good playoff team.  With both of those in mind, this is the order I would try to deal with the goalies:

1. Trade Pav if you can.  Would even retain $1 - 2M for his last year if it makes him more attractive as a backup.
  2. Trade Hutch if you can.  You are probably only getting a 5 - 7th round pick for him.
  3. If you can't trade either of them, re-sign Hutch as an RFA and send him down at the end of training camp where he is less likely to be picked  up on waivers.  Let him backup Comrie for the year.  We've seen what Hutch can do.  I think an NHL backup is his ceiling, so I'm not so concerned about him getting less playing time with the Moose.  Comrie's development is more important.

I'm fine with either Helle/ Pav or Helle/ Hutch for next season.   Going back to Pav / Hutch would be pointless IMO.  Neither is the future and what more can Helle learn with the Moose.

Don't think they'll make the playoffs either, they are not ready and management knows this, they will go young again next year and let the younger players get lots of experience. Bringing back Ladd would be a mistake , both Perrault and Stafford will be gone by the trade deadline, Pavelec will walk, Thorburn will be a 4th liner, also don't think they make a trade for Hamonic to many red flags with health. Morrissey has his chance to make the team from the get go.

Ladd isn't coming back. Chevy made that clear pretty much in his year end press conference. Said they would only be interested in guys in their 20s. Actually used Perreault when he signed here as an example of the type of player and age they would look at. Perreault is highly regarded by jets management and Loves it here. He will sign if the jets want him. 

Edited by Goalie

12 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Ladd isn't coming back. Chevy made that clear pretty much in his year end press conference. Said they would only be interested in guys in their 20s. Actually used Perreault when he signed here as an example of the type of player and age they would look at. Perreault is highly regarded by jets management and Loves it here. He will sign if the jets want him. 

I think if given a choice between Perreault and ladd they'd go with ladd. More versatility, great attitude.  If ladd was 25 sure. But he's not. 

i suspect they will offer Perreault a deal. He will either take it or he will be traded. 

i also wonder how loyal he feels to the jets who gave him a good contract and plenty of opportunity to play in the top six when he was a UFA.