Don Henderson out for season

Rich

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/371bff4cb5a045b1a22feba451730f4e/linesman-hit-wideman-out-season-concussion

The NHL Officials Association says Don Henderson, the linesman knocked to the ice by Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman in January, is still recovering from the concussion he suffered and is out for the season.

In a statement emailed to The Associated Press by a league spokesman, the NHLOA says it "strongly disagrees" with the decision by an independent arbitrator to reduce Wideman's suspension from 20 games to 10. Arbitrator James Oldham made that ruling Friday.

The NHLOA says, "The message in reducing the suspension that is sent to NHL players, as well as athletes all over the world, including children, is that the code of conduct towards officials has changed." It adds that the association intends to take steps to protect officials and ensure such an incident doesn't happen again.

When is the officials CBA up next?  Would they take any action before then?

Can't believe that suspension was reduced  

Id love if the refs could take some kind of action. How about a work stoppage on day one of the playoffs. CBA probably prevents that. But gee it would suck if all the officials came down with the flu at the same time right before the games

the ruling doesn't even make sense. He's taking at face value that Wideman didn't know what he was doing due to a concussion. So every time a player gets suspended he can claim whoops lost my mind and don't rememeber. It's actually making light of a serious situation. 

Didnt Wideman initially say he didn't see him, not that he doesn't rememebr doing it?  

The one course of action the official's do have is to make Wideman's life miserable on the ice next season, even for the rest of his career. He'll likely get called for anything that can be remotely considered a penalty, which will affect the Flames or whatever team he plays for. It may even cost him some years at the end of his career if teams feel it's a liability to have him if he's getting penalties all the time. Hasn't it been speculated that E. Kane gets treated more harshly by the refs because of his habit of beaking at them all the time? Imagine what they'll do to Wideman.

Everytime Wideman takes a penalty they should throw him from the game and claim its for his own safety as they are concerned he might have a concussion and do something he won't remember.  I bet Marty McSorely is wishing he had this arbitrator.

Bettman won't take this laying down.  This will become a major issue in the next CBA.  The NHL will fight to be able to police their league as they see fit.  If I recall, Bettman said he was more inclined to make the suspension longer than shorter.

Can the linesman file a police report?

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

This announcement after yesterdays ruling is suspicious...

I think its probably in reaction to people wanting to know his condition and a sense of incredulousness that the suspension was reduced.  Im sure it surprised everyone so they are saying "this is BS, our guy is gone for the season and this guy can't sit 20 games?"  

It was weird because the arbitrator took so long in deciding that it seemed to support the idea he'd uphold the suspension.  Since, as Lawless pointed out, Wideman can get the money but he can't get the games back.

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Regardless of why the appeal knocked it down to 10 games, it makes the NHL look like a 2nd rate bush league.

Not to people who really understand that an independent arbitrator means he has nothing to do with the NHL. 

4 hours ago, Rich said:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/371bff4cb5a045b1a22feba451730f4e/linesman-hit-wideman-out-season-concussion

When is the officials CBA up next?  Would they take any action before then?

Can't believe that suspension was reduced  

I hope there is a civil suit against Wideman, the Flames, their medical staff & the NHL by the NHLOA. The only way to get real action for Henderson is legal action.

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

No, it's bush Rich. It does make the league look really bad.

I didn't say it wasn't bush.

The league has absolutely nothing to do with this decision.  The league suspended which was the right decision.  Some guy who has nothing to do with the league overturned it.

The league had no choice.  It is like the league got sued and lost.  Does that decision reflect on the league?  It was the decision of the court.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I didn't say it wasn't bush.

The league has absolutely nothing to do with this decision.  The league suspended which was the right decision.  Some guy who has nothing to do with the league overturned it.

The league had no choice.  It is like the league got sued and lost.  Does that decision reflect on the league?  It was the decision of the court.

Never should have put it in the CBA. That's on the NHL for agreeing to it. These are the kind of unintended consequences that happen when thy did.

1 minute ago, iso_55 said:

Never should have put it in the CBA. That's on the NHL for agreeing to it. These are the kind of unintended consequences that happen when thy did.

It is never that easy in CBA discussions.

I'm willing to bet the discussion goes something like this  ...  You don't want players to have arbitrator rights on suspensions?   Great give us back 60% of HRR.  Or better yet, bump it up to 65%.

Don't want to do that, then we are keeping arbitration rights.

Just now, iso_55 said:

Maybe so but I don't think the players want to risk losing a season either just to have an independent arbitrator make rulings on suspensions. So, goes both ways. I don't think the players would have wanted to die trying to take that hill.

The 1991/92, 1994/95, and and 2004/05 seasons would disagree.

It is never as easy as saying they won't hold up a season for one issue.  It is ALL issues combined.  That is how negotiations work.  One side gives up something for something else.

I would say having the ability to go to an independent arbitrator is pretty important to the PA, otherwise they are completely at the mercy of Bettman.

So take your pick of what they gave up in negotiations to get that put in.

8 hours ago, Rich said:

It is never that easy in CBA discussions.

I'm willing to bet the discussion goes something like this  ...  You don't want players to have arbitrator rights on suspensions?   Great give us back 60% of HRR.  Or better yet, bump it up to 65%.

Don't want to do that, then we are keeping arbitration rights.

Then the NHL says no problem, lock out. Players will always give in.