Wrestling

Rich

Metlzer reports that  Cody, Bucks and Hangman Page turned down WWE offers.  Three of them (Im assuming Cody and the Bucks) were offered multi-year deals in excess of "seven figures annually".  That's insane.  Last I heard, the only people will $1 million deals in WWE were Hunter and Cena (more people make more than that but as a guaranteed "downside", not many get a million).

Now imagine what the offer to Kenny will be... generational money.

23 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Impact announces its new US TV home - The Pursuit Channel.  They begin airing there on Friday Jan 11th with a 9PM time slot.

I like the guys running Impact and I hear a local guy or two might soon be there...but man, things dont really look too good.

The what Channel? 

EDIT: It's a hunting channel. https://pursuitchannel.com/ 

I've never heard of it but I don't hunt. 

Edited by JCon

43 minutes ago, JCon said:

The what Channel? 

EDIT: It's a hunting channel. https://pursuitchannel.com/ 

I've never heard of it but I don't hunt. 

Do we even get it up here?  

Not many fans have heard of it according to online chatter.  Impact's deal with POP was basically a non-paying deal (they could sell the ad time).  They were openly looking for a new home and speculation was they met with several significant networks.  To end up on a channel like this, owned by their own parent company, doesnt speak positively.

I don't think we get it up here. It's not available on Bell/MTS as a choice. 

There is some Canadian (Winnipeg) connection though:

Fall 2012, Canadian Media Giant, Leonard Asper, joined the Pursuit management team bringing capital and vast knowledge in distribution/marketing, that has created brand awareness for the network inside the television industry and Wall Street.

Just now, JCon said:

I don't think we get it up here. It's not available on Bell/MTS as a choice. 

There is some Canadian (Winnipeg) connection though:

Fall 2012, Canadian Media Giant, Leonard Asper, joined the Pursuit management team bringing capital and vast knowledge in distribution/marketing, that has created brand awareness for the network inside the television industry and Wall Street.

Yeah, its listed as a sister channel to Fight Network.  Anthem, owned by Asper, owns Impact.  They're all connected.

Thats why this seems bad.  It comes across like Impact was unable to find a single interested party anywhere in the US and resorted to being given a bad night and bad time slot by their own parent company.  And surely its a no-money deal.  

Its bad news for Impact.  Anthem had already admitted they didnt realize the poor state TNA was in when they bought it and had buyers remorse.  The whole Jeff Jarrett/Global Force Wrestling fiasco didnt help.  Don Callis & Scott D'amore have done an amazing job of stabilizing the promotion and they deserve better.

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Just a random thought,   would a Netflix or Crave have any interest in a wrestling show?   They green light so much other garbage why not have wrestling?

That would be interesting. You could still run a weekly show. Eventually, you would build up a back catalogue. 

I wonder if you can stream something live through the Netflix network? For a live show (ala PPV)? 

37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Just a random thought,   would a Netflix or Crave have any interest in a wrestling show?   They green light so much other garbage why not have wrestling?

Netflix does as they have the scripted drama GLOW (which does good ratings) and they show Lucha Underground.

Im sure Impact would jump at the chance.  But would Netflix?

17 minutes ago, JCon said:

That would be interesting. You could still run a weekly show. Eventually, you would build up a back catalogue. 

I wonder if you can stream something live through the Netflix network? For a live show (ala PPV)? 

I would think so.  WWE has a similar thing and has a live stream.  It would be interesting if they got into it.  if you get a million or so live viewers and more on delay, its probably worth it.

Did you see the video of the wrestler who jumped off the top turnbuckle, did a moonsault, missed the table & landed head first with his head bouncing off the floor? MY ******* God that was one of the sickest things I have ever seen. His head hit the concrete like a coconut falling out of the tree. I'd like to know if he is going to be okay. he suffered a fractured skull & a brain bleed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6517263/Wrestlers-rope-dive-goes-awry-sending-crashing-head-concrete-floor.html

Edited by SpeedFlex27

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Did you see the video of the wrestler who jumped off the top turnbuckle, did a moonsault, missed the table & landed head first with his head bouncing off the floor? MY ******* God that was one of the sickest things I have ever seen. His head hit the concrete like a coconut falling out of the tree. I'd like to know if he is going to be okay. he suffered a fractured skull & a brain bleed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6517263/Wrestlers-rope-dive-goes-awry-sending-crashing-head-concrete-floor.html

There's been a bunch of guys like Lance Storm on twitter commenting on how someone's going to die at some point and these sorts of stunts really need to be scaled back. The doofus who cracked his skull has been responding to each one with either a sarcastic "Thanks for your concern" or just flat out telling them they don't know what they're talking about. Was unfamiliar with the fellow until this incident so I have no clue if this is part of his brain damage or if he was always this way. Considering he was willing to try a stunt like that at an indie show where he's maybe getting paid a couple hundred bucks, I'm going to assume he was kind of an idiot to begin with.

This isn't anything new ,   backyard wrestling for some reason attracts some people and they used to do the most ridiculous stunts for god knows what reasons.  

I used to like ECW but wasn't a big fan of the ridiculous dives by New Jack.   I guess some people get off on watching people nearly die. 

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

This isn't anything new ,   backyard wrestling for some reason attracts some people and they used to do the most ridiculous stunts for god knows what reasons.  

I used to like ECW but wasn't a big fan of the ridiculous dives by New Jack.   I guess some people get off on watching people nearly die. 

I never watched ECW. Just for that reason. Using fire & barbed wire in matches. Jumping thru tables. No thanks. 

Meltzer reports it’s an open secret (though not reported anywhere else) that impact was interested in selling to All Elite. But that Elite declined. 

A few months ago there was a confirmed meeting at Titan Tower between impact and WWE.  At the time it was said to be a get to know you meeting and everyone agreed to be friendly 

but others reported it was to discuss a potential sale. Most likely it was impact letting wwe know they were open for offers. 

So....sure sounds like Anthem would be happy to get a sale 

On 2018-12-21 at 10:28 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I never watched ECW. Just for that reason. Using fire & barbed wire in matches. Jumping thru tables. No thanks. 

Which is a shame because it wasn't only death matches ,   some of the most entertaining wrestling I ever watched was when guys like Rob Van Dam and 2 Cold Scorpio and Jerry Lynn would put on amazing matches without the need of barbed wires and blading...

30 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Which is a shame because it wasn't only death matches ,   some of the most entertaining wrestling I ever watched was when guys like Rob Van Dam and 2 Cold Scorpio and Jerry Lynn would put on amazing matches without the need of barbed wires and blading...

Yeah it has that reputation. But mostly after wcw and wwe raided ecw 

Some amazing talent were seen by US audiences for the first time in ECW. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Lance Storm. 

Taz, the Human Suplex Machine. 

Justin Credible - I'm not just the coolest, I'm not just the best, I'm Justin Credible. 

Dudley Boyz. 

Sandman. 

Tommy Dreamer.

Sabu. 

Just to name a few more. Take away the tables and the barbed wire and they could all perform incredibly well.

They were really neutered when they moved to WWE, which was a shame. 

All Elite Wrestling is now official 

there will be a free rally next week at the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium 

Tony Khan, son of billionaire Jags owner is financing 

Guys are being signed to multi year deals so they are serious. 

They reportedly  have multiple offers for TV. 

They wont be working with ROH. They are competition. 

They want to work with new japan. But it’s up to new japan who has a good relationship with ROH. 

Key next step is Kenny Omega who’s deal expires end of January and who will have a huge wwe offer. He’s been conspicuously absent from a lot of the elite stuff but was pushing the announcement. I’d expect he’s “in”. 

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Its dead in 3 years. 

If TNA can survive without a billionaire then I'd imagine this can also survive. 

All they will need to do is avoid bringing in old has beens like Russo, Cornette, Bischoff that would be a good start.