The Hail Mary Throw

iso_55

I know this is the NFL & some of us here don't like the NFL or just want to talk CFL here but if you didn't see this play then you missed one helluva ending to the Packer-Lions game last night. For those of us fortunate enough to watch & get caught up in the moment, here's the encore. What a throw by Aaron Rodgers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0vVqStvh_8

They never boxed in Richard Rodgers. No one was in front of him. He was open as the ball was coming & he just out jumped everyone. Pretty shitty defensive coverage by the Lions but hell, they are the Packers. That. Is. What. They. Do!!

Plays like that just remind me why I love football so much!

Kind of reminds me of our 4th quarter D at times ... shorter LB covering tall WR LOL.

Rodgers (Richard) wasn't covered at all on the play - he drifted backwards into the endzone while the ball was in the air and everyone else was looking up.  By the time they realized he had established position on all of them it was way too late to get back in front of him.  And yes, they were way too short to go over his back and get to the ball; they just looked like monkeys hanging on the back of King Kong.

For a Packers fan, it was a great ending.  So it was a great ending.

Almost wonder if Rodgers the receiver followed the plan on that play if it would have worked. Looked like he was the guy waiting for the ricochet, then just went for the ball.

Apparently he was supposed to be boxing out a defender but he decided to just go for the ball instead.

Helluva way to end a game.   What I found interesting was that the play never should have happened.  The game should have ended on the previous play, but the official threw a phantom facemasking play, which gave Green Bay one more shot.  Kudos to the Packers for the play, but the reffing in the NFL is aweful at times, this was one of those times.

Helluva way to end a game.   What I found interesting was that the play never should have happened.  The game should have ended on the previous play, but the official threw a phantom facemasking play, which gave Green Bay one more shot.  Kudos to the Packers for the play, but the reffing in the NFL is aweful at times, this was one of those times.

The hand was on the facemask... maybe not a grasp but it was there... I don't mind the call.

I disagree that this was the refs fault... you're right, it was the wrong call... but that's with the hindsight of seeing it in super slo-mo from 12 different camera angles... watch it in real time and tell me that it doesn't look like a textbook facemask...

I disagree that this was the refs fault... you're right, it was the wrong call... but that's with the hindsight of seeing it in super slo-mo from 12 different camera angles... watch it in real time and tell me that it doesn't look like a textbook facemask...

AND... for a split second the defender's finger was in Rodger's facemask. Agree that under the circumstances with Rodger's head yanking back & the defender's hand to the face or close to the face the ref had to make that call in real time. So, you can't say the call was awful. It was the only call the official could have made.  

The only ones complaining are Lions fans. And in football speak, Lions HC Jim Caldwell would say that his team never should have been in that situation to begin with. Also, Caldwell said they were caught flat footed on that play. They had the wrong defensive personnel in on that last play. He thought the Packers would try to score using laterals all over the field so the Lions never had their best athletes in on the final play. That's why Calvin Johnson stayed on the bench as he has the best vertical jump on their team.